On the subject of triggers:

Pete Wass

I borrowed a friend's Anschutz for a back up rifle to carry with me to a shoot several states away. I inspected the rifle once I had it in my possession and found that the rifle's bolt was very hard to close; was cocking a bunch when closing. I took the rifle apart and much to my surprise found the action had a long trigger slot and the trigger housing was slotted a bunch so that properly adjusting the bolt timing was a snap. Why aren't all actions/trigger hangers made this way?

Oh, and I was amused that the firing pin looks a lot like a Hall :). Now, lets see, the current Sporter yards record was set with one of them "Lighter than Air firing pin arrangements, wasn't it?

Pete

Last edited:
Good point.
On another note, remember folks, if you let Pete borrow your rifle, chances are he's gonna f..k with it.

Pete put a smile on this guy's face Tim

Good point.
On another note, remember folks, if you let Pete borrow your rifle, chances are he's gonna f..k with it.

Consider that.

After my seminar from the expert on
trigger timing a few months ago we learn that alas, it is not Black Magic. Would you spend 45 minutes of your time on the phone from Alaska on your dime explaining to an idiot like me how easy it all is? I already know the answer Tim.
Pete

Last edited:
Consider that.

After my seminar from the expert on
trigger timing a few months ago we learn that alas, it is not Black Magic. Would you spend 45 minutes of your time on the phone from Alaska on your dime explaining to an idiot like me how easy it all is? I already know the answer Tim.
Pete

I've spent countless hours both explaining and getting explained to, however, that really was'nt the point. Try and recall that bygone age, where when you posed questions, I and others, gave sincere helpful answers.......you know, before you decided to become the counter point to every point.

I simply didn't agree with you or them

I've spent countless hours both explaining and getting explained to, however, that really was'nt the point. Try and recall that bygone age, where when you posed questions, I and others, gave sincere helpful answers.......you know, before you decided to become the counter point to every point.

If I don't believe an answer I receive, I keep asking until someone makes sense. How much work do you do on your rifles, yourself? Frankly, I hear a lot of herd mentality stuff from folks. I am way more interested in answers from someone who is trying to find new and better things rather than the "Tried and True". I'm willing to bet there a bunch of great barrels that have been taken off simply because folks refuse to believe SS barrels have soft spots that collect lead and Carbon. So how to get that out? You ain't gonna do it with solvent,of any kind or even JB paste or IOSSO, not in this life time. I don't have many years left so I don't want to waste the time I have left scrubbing barrels endlessly.

You had a lot to say about how barrel makers would not want folks lapping their barrels. Once someone pays for the dern thing, they own it. They can do what they want with it and I am thinking barrel makers could care less. At least now you seem to lately admit that some folks do and can lapp successfully. Why would you think the majoriyty can't do it? Do you have some particular insight that has escaped a lot of us.

You seem to discount, out of hand, anything new; the Italian trigger most recently. Why do you always doubt others? It isn't particularly flattering, IMHO.

Pete

Last edited:
Why the crying?

Timmy,
If you have a problem with Mr. Wass, please use the phone and settle it once and for all! Even here in the South we hear that you are such a blow hard that you don't even believe half of what you say after you said it. So grow up, get out of the sandbox, and let it finish. This forum is not for personal arguments or personal insults, it's for learning something from another shooter. You don't have to agree, just take what you need in the way of info and let the rest ride. And by the way, have a nice day, and smile in the mirror, you might be surprised! Thump!

If I don't believe an answer I receive, I keep asking until someone makes sense. How much work do you do on your rifles, yourself? Frankly, I hear a lot of herd mentality stuff from folks. I am way more interested in answers from someone who is trying to find new and better things rather than the "Tried and True". I'm willing to bet there a bunch of great barrels that have been taken off simply because folks refuse to believe SS barrels have soft spots that collect lead and Carbon. So how to get that out? You ain't gonna do it with solvent,of any kind or even JB paste or IOSSO, not in this life time. I don't have many years left so I don't want to waste the time I have left scrubbing barrels endlessly.

You had a lot to say about how barrel makers would not want folks lapping their barrels. Once someone pays for the dern thing, they own it. They can do what they want with it and I am thinking barrel makers could care less. At least now you seem to lately admit that some folks do and can lapp successfully. Why would you think the majoriyty can't do it? Do you have some particular insight that has escaped a lot of us.

You seem to discount, out of hand, anything new; the Italian trigger most recently. Why do you always doubt others? It isn't particularly flattering, IMHO.

Pete

I would love for you to find a single reference ever made by myself about makers opinions on lapping or the lack thereof.
Really and truly, Pete, I kind of think you see the words but the wires get crossed. I have made zero comments about the new triggers other than to ask a couple questions.

Anshutz 54:18 Triggers

Over the years I have fixed many Anschutz Trigger problems for shooters.
Mainly Light hits or hard to close bolts.
As Pete said the trigger has slotted mounting holes which allows the trigger to be moved fore and aft.
There is a pin that sticks out of the back of the bolt that will tell you the correct place to position the trigger.
Watch that pin as you slowly close your bolt & if it moves in then you might get a light hit.
If it moves out then you are cocking on the sear & the bolt might be hard to close.
(You do not want to cock on the sear!)

It might take 5 or 10 minutes of adjusting to get it right because just loosening & tightening the trigger mounting screws can make a change of the pin in or out but well worth the time to get it right.

Timmy,
If you have a problem with Mr. Wass, please use the phone and settle it once and for all! Even here in the South we hear that you are such a blow hard that you don't even believe half of what you say after you said it. So grow up, get out of the sandbox, and let it finish. This forum is not for personal arguments or personal insults, it's for learning something from another shooter. You don't have to agree, just take what you need in the way of info and let the rest ride. And by the way, have a nice day, and smile in the mirror, you might be surprised! Thump!

Wow....guess who's been gettin into Mavis' estrogen replacement medicine??? Right to the " blohard" card. Man, I'm gettin all weepy here.
Been practicin the smilin thing but wanted to take a minute and offer up congrats on the new position, spokesman for the South, pretttttty impressive.
On a humorous note you should probably start a new paragraph on forum rules instead of the same ones with the specific insults. Just sayin.

I suspect it boils down to an observation....could be right, could be wrong, no particular import. Your basic off the cuff take it or leave it BS.

What is the correct way to set trigger timing on the Anschutz?

As Pete said the trigger has slotted mounting holes which allows the trigger to be moved fore and aft.
There is a pin that sticks out of the back of the bolt that will tell you the correct place to position the trigger.
Watch that pin as you slowly close your bolt & if it moves in then you might get a light hit.
If it moves out then you are cocking on the sear & the bolt might be hard to close.

It might take 5 or 10 minutes of adjusting to get it right because just loosening & tightening the trigger mounting screws can make a change of the pin in or out but well worth the time to get it right.

Doug, what is considered right on the trigger timing?
Thanks

Read my post on let-off or cocking on the sear.
I strive to have them close to zero. Since I am lucky to get both at zero then I will accept a negligible amount of cocking on the sear. (The pin should barely move out)
This is not Star Wars but you would be surprised how many of the top gunsmiths do not have a clue! :(
Make Sense? :confused:

Doug, what is considered right on the trigger timing?
Thanks

Hi Doug,
Thanks for posting this excellent piece of info.
I have a new 1907 Anschutz(from the factory), and checked the pin movement as you said. It moved out a fair amount on cocking.
I adjusted as you said, and it closes really smooth now!

Excuse my ignorance here, but what exactly is the downside of it 'cocking on the sear'. I can understand that it was not designed to do this, but if it does, what would you expect to be a negative result of that?
Many thanks
Marek

Great posst Doug

That indicator makes it a lot simpler to get the timing right. Better screws wouldn't hurt anything though - - - .

Pete

Back