Okay, TUNERS AGAIN. Bukys/Schmidt style versus Beggs???????????????

My latest tuner work was with this copy of a Dwight Scott design (He is not interested in making any more. I asked) The nuts add a total of about an ounce and a half, and bring the total weight to around five ounces. After spending the day on various range projects, tuning and equipment related, I finally got around to this. My last three shot test group (Yes, I know more testing is required.) measured about .075 with my Hood Group Checker. It was the best that I saw all day. I went home tired and happy. The tuner is clamped on a one inch long by .900 dia. cylinder that was turned at the muzzle. As you can see, the barrel was not cleaned. (only five shots since cleaning) The powder was X-Terminator.
Scott-ishTuner003.jpg

Last edited:
I had thought about that, but looking at that last test group, I would say that evidently it is not an issue. I try to not let theory get in the way of trying things, especially when there is no actual information available, and no harm would come from a test. The advantage of its being in front is that a given amount of weight will have more effect (I think). At this point, the plan is to use the tuner like Gene Buckys uses his...set it and forget it. My next move will be to chronograph the load and see if the results are the same, with different powders at the same velocity. I sure hope that the latest X-Terminator is the same as the somewhat elderly fraction of a pound that I have left. The barrel is a Rock Creek 5R that tunes a bit differently than my other barrels, but no matter, as long as I can find something that it likes. It has been in the drawer for several years, waiting for me to get smart enough to make it work.

Back