Off the rack 700 VLS

h

Youre doing real good. Just making bullets touch is a feat most cant realistically achieve on a regular basis without benchrest equipment

44.9 grains is what I came up with for a charge while trying increments from the middle of the load data. Originally my COL was spec and the three shots strung vertical up the center of the bull (all touching). I managed to take out the vertical by adjusting my seating depth. I might try neck re-sizing to see if there is any noticeable difference.

Youre doing real good. Just making bullets touch is a feat most cant realistically achieve on a regular basis without benchrest equipment
Here are my results from today my fowling shots were made with FL resized brass and just powder dumped from my measure. It is apparent that the FL resize does have an effect. The next two were just neck resized one with Rem 9 1/2 primers the other with Fed GM. Neither of them were as good as the one FL resized. I learned something today. The brass did chamber harder as well.

Attachments

• 071714vls1.jpg
    071714vls1.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 311
  • 071714 vls.jpg
    071714 vls.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 304
In my humble opinion there is no room for a neck sizing die in a serious reloader's collection. The way i see it you either need to make a fired piece fit in a sloppy factory chamber or need brass to fit fast in a good chamber- either way you need a FL die. I only use redding or old rcbs for my regular stuff and of course custom dies for my working guns. If you get a fl die set up properly its not oversizing brass to the point its working brass back and forth so much its gonna fail. Thats just sitting around thinking of thousanths here and there and not really thinking of how much those thousandths really are. But hey its just an opinion. I dont think theyll stop making them.

EKP, I don't think that you're going to be able to tune that factory rifle much more.

If it was me, I'd save my money, put a custom barrel on it, bed it and put in a Jewell trigger. Or, better yet, build or buy a rifle on a M700 clone action.

EKP, I don't think that you're going to be able to tune that factory rifle much more.

If it was me, I'd save my money, put a custom barrel on it, bed it and put in a Jewell trigger. Or, better yet, build or buy a rifle on a M700 clone action.

Thanks for the advice. I am pretty satisfied with the results I have been getting. I know that it is not in the same league as a benchrest rifle. I have several rifles most of them hunting rifles. I just like to see how much I can get out of them. I do think I will put a Jewel trigger in the VLS. The pull on the Remington trigger is not as smooth as I would like it.

I may in the future spend the money to have built a BR gun but for now I am going to keep getting the most out of what I have. Not only has it been fun but also I am learning a lot on the way from comments on this forum and time spent on the bench. I see the value in the adage "aim small ..miss small"

You'd also benefit from bedding the action in the stock. You can do it yourself. If it isn't on pillars now, I'd suggest adding them. The barrel is almost always most important, though.

Aside from the rifle, good optics, wind flags, front rest and rear bag are all very important.

As things stand, you are going to spend a lot of time and treasure for not much improvement.

You'd also benefit from bedding the action in the stock. You can do it yourself. If it isn't on pillars now, I'd suggest adding them. The barrel is almost always most important, though.

Aside from the rifle, good optics, wind flags, front rest and rear bag are all very important.

As things stand, you are going to spend a lot of time and treasure for not much improvement.

I would agree with you. I have spent a lot of time and some treasure. The loads I have developed will stay with the rifle. If I were to look to improve I would have one built. Bruce LaChappelle lives near me and would be the guy I would seek out to build it. I would not want to modify the rifle I have now. I also am in love with the Lyman LWBR. Between the rifle and the scope I only have 900 dollars invested which given the results makes me happy.

To me a challenge in getting what I have to shoot to its optimum is the reason I reload and shoot. As I said I am learning a lot on the way.

I did actually. Thanks for catching my mistake. I will edit the post.

what is your OAL, and seating numbers. I have tried getting that close to the lands but they are far to deep on my VLS in 308

Bill

what is your OAL, and seating numbers. I have tried getting that close to the lands but they are far to deep on my VLS in 308

Bill

They are to deep to be fed through the magazine. I have to load them singly. I loaded a dummy round and chambered the bullet touching the lands and then seated .015 from there. I did load rounds to spec for COL when working up to the charge weight. I then took the best charge weight and loaded rounds at .010, .040, .080 and .120. It was apparent where the groups were going.Then loaded more between .010 and .040. That is how I came up with my final choice. I originally bought the rifle intended on hunting woodchucks with it but that kind of hunting has faded out in my area. Most of the shooting is from the bench which does not need to be run from the magazine.

I never figured out why they use such a long freebore on magazine guns. They know theyll never shoot to their potential with a magazine length round. I guess it keeps the carbon at bay

lawyers and law suits....
my Armalite ar10(t) in 7.62x51 has a throat that is 190 from the lades with a 175 seated a 2.80(std 308 win ) that is their expensive target version..

Can freebore be changed by setting the barrel back or is it all in the reamer to begin with?

Thanks for the advice. I am pretty satisfied with the results I have been getting. I know that it is not in the same league as a benchrest rifle. I have several rifles most of them hunting rifles. I just like to see how much I can get out of them. I do think I will put a Jewel trigger in the VLS. The pull on the Remington trigger is not as smooth as I would like it.

I may in the future spend the money to have built a BR gun but for now I am going to keep getting the most out of what I have. Not only has it been fun but also I am learning a lot on the way from comments on this forum and time spent on the bench. I see the value in the adage "aim small ..miss small"

I also have a 700VLS .308 shot with a new jewell today and it was great. could not feel the break, it took me from 1.5" 3 shot groups @ 200 yards down to 1.25" groups today.

Bill

some people feel that when you shoot shoots several minutes apart, with no way of knowing if the conditions are the same as the first shot or third shot in a "string"..that the string is pretty useless.

an insult to the ladder....

not a ladder but shooting 4 or five groups shooting one per group, and then doing it over and over...pretty much a waste of powder and bullets

Yeah well I was just passing on Dan Newberry's take on it. Myself I just reverted back to shoot strings of three from the middle to max in the load data. Having only 100 yds to work with. I also know that some people feel that anything less than 200 a waste of time. I guess I will just have to settle for what i can do.

Back