Nylon vs Bronze

J

jdjframes

Is it just my imagination or the fact that I'm a bit set in my ways or the fact I've been in the general firearms game for about 60 years, but it seems that a nylon bore brush is just a little bit better than no brush at all?

Have fun with this post.

Jim

Is it just my imagination or the fact that I'm a bit set in my ways or the fact I've been in the general firearms game for about 60 years, but it seems that a nylon bore brush is just a little bit better than no brush at all?

Have fun with this post.

Jim

oh i thought it was just me!

I like them for the initial application of solvent when I have time to leave the bore soak. It seems like they wet the bore more than a patch and get the added benefit of a little scrubbing action. Also the solvent doesn't eat the bristles if you don't rinse the brush.

I use a Nylon brush for OSSO or what ever they call it. My holder holds 3 rods, 1 for the bronze brush, 1 for the patches and 1, (which is a nylon brush) for solvents or whatever, (in this case OSSO)

It’s been my experience that Nylon brushes don’t do much to remove hard carbon unless they are used with abrasive paste cleaners to scrub the bore. When bore cleaning at home I rinse off my dirty brushes in a jar of lacquer thinner. It’s impressive how much carbon bronze brushes remove from the bore. Nylon brushes will not produce a thick layer of carbon sediment in the bottom of the jar like bronze brushes do.

solvent01_zps90ca7586.jpg

While nylon brushes do last longer, the bronze brush has some other advantages.
The bristle on the nylon brushes are generally larger in diameter, which aids in there stiffness.
The bristle on the bronze brush are a smaller diameter and enable more of them to be places in the overall length.
This also aids in the bristle flexing into the corners of the grooves where as the nylon bristle may not be able to get into this area as easily or as consistently.
While you can get nylon brushes with smaller diameter bristle the stiffness in greatly reduced and does not enable the same mechanical friction of the larger diameter nylon bristle.
Bore cleaning has two elements to it, first one it the chemical part from the solvents we use, the second is the mechanical element from the brushes we stroke through the bore.
A bore scope does show how well ones cleaning route is performing on the barrel bore.
For myself I do choose the bronze brush for the stated reasons but that is not to say nylon brush cannot or does not work.

I shot my first 4 matches this year using the blue nylon brushes and Butches only. Learning a lot every match.
I came across a good deal on a Hawkeye bore scope a few weeks ago. When I looked in the barrel that is on my gun now it shot the last two matches. There was a carbon ring at the end of the chamber and black carbon streaks 5 or 6 inches down the barrel. Dug up a bronze brush with butches it took a little bit but it came out
I won't be using nylon next year

Like nylon for wrapping a patch around

I frequently use a brush like a jag, especially for chamber cleaning. I like nylon brushes for this purpose. It's easier to get the patch off the nylon ones as opposed to the bronze ones. A .44 caliber nylon pistol brush with a flannel patch wrapped around it is good for chambers in 6 PPC, 6 BR, .308/.30-06 and their derivatives.

I use bronze brushes for routine cleaning. I do use nylon brushes with abrasive cleaners because it is safe to "scrub" with them. Bronze brushes can cause damage if you reverse them while in the bore.

I use a bronze brush when needed. I feel that there can be no damage if used properly. I use a Sinclair rod guide in my chamber and always push the bronze brush all the way out the muzzle end of the barrel. I never pull the brush back through in the opposite direction and most certainly never reverse it while in the barrel. I have seen guys ramming and jerking a bronze brush backwards and forwards through their barrels like sawing wood. Makes me cringe!

Dana

Just remember- all the careful cleaning techniques in the world wont do any good if you can fit a brush thru your rod guide. May as well clean without one.

This is getting off topic a bit but I think it is worth saying:
Some bore guides are much better than others. The Possum Hollow and Sinclair single piece bore guides are some of the worst in that they don’t protect the bore from cleaning rod damage. All they really do is prevent solvent from getting into the action, stock bedding and trigger. You guys who actually shoot know this. The Lucas is specifically designed to prevent the cleaning rod from rubbing against the rifling. The Lucas costs more, but it’s actually a middle of the road bore guide. You can spend much more than $65 http://benchrest.com/barrelsaver/
The way I look at it, I can go cheap on a bore guide and prematurely wear out my barrel with the cleaning rod. Or I can buy a good bore guide and wear out my barrel with bullets. Considering the cost of new barrels, I can easily justify spending $65 on a bore guide.

Bronze vs Nylon….Nylon is for pussies. That’s been settled. Winter is upon us.

NOW…let’s see where this goes.

Like so many others who have a machine shop, Dwight Scott detests production work. He prefers to do prototype machining. Thus it was that after Dwight made a couple cleaning rod guides, he handed the right of production to T.K.Nollan. That is the finest guide on the market and T.K. has done a fine job of producing and selling the Barrel Saver. You can use a nylon or a bronze brush with any good rod guide. I prefer to use a bronze brush and if my brush material selection tends to wear out my barrel, oh well.

Brush for Pussies?

This is getting off topic a bit but I think it is worth saying:
Some bore guides are much better than others. The Possum Hollow and Sinclair single piece bore guides are some of the worst in that they don’t protect the bore from cleaning rod damage. All they really do is prevent solvent from getting into the action, stock bedding and trigger. You guys who actually shoot know this. The Lucas is specifically designed to prevent the cleaning rod from rubbing against the rifling. The Lucas costs more, but it’s actually a middle of the road bore guide. You can spend much more than $65 http://benchrest.com/barrelsaver/
The way I look at it, I can go cheap on a bore guide and prematurely wear out my barrel with the cleaning rod. Or I can buy a good bore guide and wear out my barrel with bullets. Considering the cost of new barrels, I can easily justify spending $65 on a bore guide.

Bronze vs Nylon….Nylon is for pussies. That’s been settled. Winter is upon us.

NOW…let’s see where this goes.

I use a brush with stiff steel bristles on my pussies. Gets out all the loose hair and they love it! ;)

Sorry, Wilbur. Couldn't resist that one.

Back