Nightforce Benchrest Scopes

I have seen too many of my friends have problems with Nightforce scopes to ever consider one. How they ever conjured up what they are selling is beyound one's imagination! Marketing, Marketing, Marlketing! I know - - - There are going to be a lot of folks who will accuse me of being blasphemous but it is what it is. They could have asked, long before they built what they are selling, what we wanted and /or needed but they KNEW BEST, eh?

Last edited:
I have to agree with ya Pete! How often would you use 12 to 24 power on a 100/200/300 BR rifle? How often would you use the lighted reticle? What do you think those extras weigh? It's amazing what we really need! :)

I am sorry if I put this post in the wrong place, but being a Sponsor of the Benchrest.com forum I thought that it would ok. Well Dan. If you go to our home page, www.theopticzone.com, you will see that we are offering a 7% discount on all online purchase during the month of September. I guess that would be the deal!

Jon Jackoviak
The Optic Zone
www.theopticzone.com
info@theopticzone.com

I must have been confused by this post. The website says 'Excludes Nightforce products'

Side Burn The original post only stated that he had them "in stock" not that they were on sale.

Apparently it has come to our attention that Nightforce has a problem with us selling their scopes for a price less then they tell us to sell them for. Not a problem with advertising them for the Minimum Advertise Pricing, but actually selling them for less than Minimum Advertise Pricing. Sounds like price fixing to me.

Jon Jackoviak
The Optic Zone
www.theopticzone.com
info@theopticzone.com

Side Burn The original post only stated that he had them "in stock" not that they were on sale.

Nope, but as Jon points out below, Nightforce is requiring sellers to maintain a fixed price. Good and bad. Good that smaller retailers can compete and have equal share of sales but bad that the end buyer can't get a break, especially in this economy.

You know Jon that is exactly what jumped into my mind also so I went out and looked it up.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Price_fixing
and while it sounds like it I think if I am reading the article correctly it might take more than just one maker to do that but maybe I am wrong.

However it has just had the opposite effect on me, needless to say while I would be interested in buying my next scope from you it will be very unlikely it would be a Night force.

On one hand I can appreciate someone wanting to give the little guy an even playing field its also a free market and what this country was based on financially or so I thought.

I agree. I'm beginning to question my NF loyalty. I have 3 and I'm looking to buy another in the next couple of weeks.

Too bad Jon doesn't sell March or IOR as I'd consider them as a benchrest alternative.

Or, has anyone ever considered the Swarovski Z6 5-30x50 as a benchrest version? To me, as a photographer, glass is worth every penny in most cases. The MOA/click kinda stinks though at 1/3 MOA.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just recieved 12-42 BR series Nightforce from The Optic Zone. Fast shipping and great people to deal with. :) -Al

P.S. Nightforce scopes were originally used in Austrailia for night hunting fox and kangaroos, hence the illuminated reticles. They later became popular as varmint hunting scopes in the United States. Nightforce at one time offered a fixed 36X scope, a fixed 15X scope, and a slick 3.5-15X50. These were all what is now refered to as the 'BR' series. With the popularity of the 13.5 lb. VfS class, benchrest shooters sort of brought Nightforce scopes into Benchrest, rather than Nightforce seeking out the BR market.

"Fair Trade" was pretty common in the States, esp. in California, where I grew up. They predated WW-II, and lasted quite a few years. I remember in the 1960s the first discount store in our area opened up, a chain called White Front. You'd go inside, and products from name-brand manufacturers were the same price as everywhere else. But they carried other brands, and these would be considerably cheaper.

For whatever reason, the Fair Trade laws started disappearing. I don't remember any by the mid-1970s.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resale_price_maintenance

Never did like them.

Last edited:
Back