NEWS FROM THE TUNNEL, Barrel Indexing

Gene Beggs

Those of you who have followed my previous posts know, I have experimented with barrel indexing for several years. Much progress has been made and after more than five years of brainstorming, trial and error, successes and failures, I have at last discovered a simple, inexpensive way to accomplish what for years, appeared to be impossible. :D More on this later.

Harold Vaughn's book, "Rifle Accuracy Facts" (RAF) was published in 1998 by Precision Shooting. It was edited by Dr. Jack Jackson. If you are serious about extreme rifle accuracy and do not have a copy of this book, I strongly urge you to obtain one as soon as possible. Chapter four, the section on barrel vibration alone, is worth its weight in gold.

In chapter 4, Vaughn begins by saying,

"Barrel vibration is one of the largest contributors to rifle inaccuracy; however, I have been unable to find any evidence of previous experimental work on the subject."

In his book, Vaughn goes into great detail about vibration experiments he conducted with a bolt action Remington chambered in 270 Winchester.

Most of what I know about barrel vibration and exterior ballistics, I owe to Harold Vaughn, and Dr. Jack Jackson. If not for these two gentlemen, I would have never figured out my barrel indexing system.

To make a long story short, rifle barrels whip up and down like a long, flexible fishing pole when fired as they hang out into space, suported only by the front receiver ring. Some refer to this as "barrel harmonics." Guys, I'm sorry but I still think the word 'harmonics' is far too complicated and mysterious sounding. :rolleyes:

If the barrel is perfectly straight (very few are) the vibration is primarily in the vertical plane; the muzzle comes to a complete stop at the top and bottom of the swing. If we tune the rifle so the bullets exit at one or the other of the stops, there will be little or no vertical dispersion. But, have you ever seen a barrel that you could not tune? :mad: When you got the vertical out, the darn thing showed two bullet holes of horizontal and vice versa. :mad:

Such a barrel has a built in curvature and this curvature was unknowingly indexed in other than the vertical plane when chambered. The chances of this vibration frequency matching that of the vertical plane are slim. The muzzle of such a barrel is never stopped. If we re-index the barrel so the curvature is hidden in the vertical plane, the horizontal disappears. :)

In the past, the only way this situation could be corrected was to remove the barrel, turn a little off the tenon shoulder to allow the barrel to come to rest in the proper position, then remove the same amount from the breach and run the finish reamer in to obtain the correct headspace. This was time consuming and expensive. Most gunsmiths would run backwards at the mere mention of such.

Now, let's get down to the nitty gritty of this thing; how do we do it? This is mostly for you engineer and gunsmith types. The requirement is to be able to re-index the barrel to any clock position on the receiver without affecting headspace using only a barrel vise and action wrench, we want to be able to quickly and easily reindex the barrel at the range. Before I tell you how I did it, I want you to think about it and come up with the way you think it should be done. This is going to be interesting. :D

Later,

Gene Beggs

:confused:Okay Mr Calfee! Gene, I know you well enough to say this and hope you get my point! I am glad somebody a lot smarter than me can figure this stuff out!
Mike Kiess:D

Last edited:
:confused:Okay Mr Calfee! Gene, I know you well enough to say this and hope you get my point! I am glad somebody a lot smarter than me can figure this stuff out!
Mike Kiess:D

Mike, I appreciate your sense of humor. :D I just thought it would be fun to get some feedback from others.

I've been trying to figure this thing out for years and it finally came to me during the drive home from Phoenix. I ran the idea by a couple of professionals and was told, "It won't work!" So with a challenge like that; what could I do? I went directly to the shop and built one.

I had to make several trips between the tunnel and shop but soon had it working perfectly. It is simple, safe, easy to adjust and works great! It is invisible when installed and requires no modifications to the action. I put it on a barrel that had been declared 'junk' and soon had it shooting in the low one's.

Later,

Gene Beggs

Gene, I have more than one barrel I can not get to shoot. So where do I get one of these "Gizmos" I trusted you on the tuner and the 22/6mm Beggs so you know I have blind faith in you! The line forms behind me!
Mike

What about.....

the Savage barrel nut??? Wouldn't that (don't have Savage experience, so I don't know)work, by indexing to your preference, then reindexing around the clock to/for proper orientation???

On this exercise, I don't know if questions are in order. If they are, my question would be: are the clock positions infinitely adjustable, or are there fixed limitations? And I take it we are talking a screwed barrel assy.

Barrel nut, floating bolt head and shims.

Adrian "The Savage King" Van Gorder

Geeze, Gene

What is this, invasion of the body statchers. Did a bunch of Aliens from "Planet Calfee" place a pod in your tunnel......jackie

Interesting times - - -

This is a very bright spot in my day, I must say. I think it was Confusus(sp?) who said "May you live in Interesting Times". I believe we are there. And the Hits just keep on coming!

If this works, it is important...I haven't a clue.

Hey Boyd

Got your attention: huh?

What da' ya' mean; "If it works." Sure it works! :cool:

I've been having a lot of fun with it in the tunnel. The barrel can be rotated to any position quickly and easily and headspace never changes. Pretty slick setup even if I do say so myself.

Later,

Gene Beggs

the Savage barrel nut??? Wouldn't that (don't have Savage experience, so I don't know)work, by indexing to your preference, then reindexing around the clock to/for proper orientation???

Brian, when I first began experimenting with indexing, I thought the Savage barrel nut system would be the answer but sadly, it was not to be. You're still limited by headspace and this determines where the barrel comes to rest on the face of the receiver.

The system that I came up with will work perfectly on a Savage. :cool:

Later,

Gene Beggs

seems to me

Seems like maintaining headspace and turning the barrel would eliminate threads.??
What Up, Gene?

I'm picturing a threaded 'spud' that goes into the action tenon. The inside of the 'spud' is bored to a specific diameter and the barrel would have a non-threaded 'stub' that fits into the 'spud'....probably a guage fit. Locking the barrel in place could be done with a couple of Allen bolts. Headspace would be established by a foward shoulder on the 'stub' end of the barrel so the barrel could be rotated w/o changing the headspace.

Basically a barrel block that threads into the action.

How am I doin', Gene? :D :) ;) -Al

On this exercise, I don't know if questions are in order. If they are, my question would be: are the clock positions infinitely adjustable, or are there fixed limitations? And I take it we are talking a screwed barrel assy.

The clock positions are infinitely adjustable and yes, the barrel screws into the action and torques up in the normal manner.

Gene Beggs

Answers easy

use a differential thread. Have an in between piece that threads into the action with different threads in the barrel. That way if you turn the barrel .25 turn in, move this same amount out and it gives the same headspace, just a different barrel index spot.

I'll guess with you.

Lets start with an eccentric tuner and see what that does. I assume you have a barrel that needs indexing?

Set a tuner up in your lathe and throw it off about 1/8" then turn the OD till it cleans up. Scribe a line on the extreme runout part for reference.

Or just drill & tap a hole in the circumference and bolt on a weight. This may be better since we can change the weight.

Bill Myers ran some tests with an electronic-hold indicator and the barrel/action in a rail top. He found that barrels vibrate, not from 12 to 6 but from 1 to 7!!??!! (Twist effect??)

Barrel nut, floating bolt head and shims.

Adrian "The Savage King" Van Gorder

No, that's a good guess Adrian, but there are no shims, barrel nut or floating bolt head. The action I used is a Stiller Cobra drop port with no modifications whatsoever.

Gene Beggs

What is this, invasion of the body statchers. Did a bunch of Aliens from "Planet Calfee" place a pod in your tunnel......jackie

Hi Jackie

Well,, it was a full moon when the light finally came on about this thing, but I had not been in the tunnel for several days when it came to me so that rules out alien pods in the tunnel, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express once. :rolleyes: :p

Gene Beggs

Please, please, please

Gene, can you send the answer to 15 funny people who promise not to tell the answer?

Back