new to forum with a 1000 dollar budget

ok new idea. since i wont ever get rid of my weatherby what would it take to make it competive?
My off the cuff response it it would take a miracle. But that's too quick. I doubt anyone knows. Certainly I don't, because I've never seen a Weatherby Mark 5 used in 13 years of shooting 1,000 yard benchrest. That's over 100 regular matches and 8 (IBS) National Championships. Maybe we've all missed something.

A new suggestion. Go to a few matches. Talk. Look. You'll probably be offered a chance to shoot. Then decide what you want to do.

My off the cuff response it it would take a miracle. But that's too quick. I doubt anyone knows. Certainly I don't, because I've never seen a Weatherby Mark 5 used in 13 years of shooting 1,000 yard benchrest. That's over 100 regular matches and 8 (IBS) National Championships. Maybe we've all missed something.

A new suggestion. Go to a few matches. Talk. Look. You'll probably be offered a chance to shoot. Then decide what you want to do.

ya after i posted my new bright idea i called a friend who does competitive shooting and he said basically the same thing as you. well atleast now i know

42769vette
Two matches ago Don "The Pumpkin" Nielson sold a panda action Kelbly stock in 300 WSM with a jewell trigger ready to go minus the scope for about $1500.
If you already have the $1000 you could sell the Mark V and buy a used but great shooting rig in need of a scope.
Waterboy

I don't think you can build a truly competative F-Class rifle for $1000 and probably not a BR rifle for twice that.

Nat,

I respect your experience based on what I have read of yours on this site, but I have to disagree with you here. 1000 yd BR rifle for $1000? No! F-Class rifle for $1000? Yes! Want the proof, check out the Aug 22, issue of the AccurateShooter Daily Bulletin. http://accurateshooter.com/bulletin.html

I will quote a portion of this article:

Savage F-TR Team — World-Beaters on a Budget. It seems hard to believe you can compete and win at the highest levels of long-range shooting competition with a stock factory rifle, but that’s exactly what Team USA did at the recent F-Class World Championships in Bisley, England. The U.S. F-TR team, which included Team Savage shooters, dominated the F-T/R division, winning a total of 14 medals at the World Championships (and various side matches associated with the event).

NOTE: In addition to the four Team Savage Members, the full F-TR Team USA included a number of other shooters, using other rigs. The USA F/TR team that traveled to Bisley consisted of 11 shooters: Darrell Buell (Captain), Gary Rasmussen (Wind Coach), Brad Sauve, Dale Carpenter, John Weil, Jeff Rorer, Stan Pate, Mike Miller, Paul Phillips, Warren Dean, and Monte Milanuk. Gary Rasmussen coached F-TR Team USA and Kathy Buell was official record-keeper. Monte Milanuk explained: “While almost half the team was using a Savage-actioned rifle of some sort (Warren, Darrell, John, Stan & Monte), the rest were using four Barnards (Brad, Paul, Dale, and Mike), one Stolle Panda (Jeff), and a Wichita (Gary).”

End quote.

These guys had a choice of what guns to take to the F-Class World Championship. Half choose a Savage. I think that is a powerful statement of what the Savage F-Class rifle is capable of doing in the proper hands.

With that said, I have been trying to shot my Savages in local BR competition for over a year. I am dying to upgrade to a true custom action.

Luck, Tim

Last edited:
Weatherby as a starter?

Here again-"been there done that". Thought this is a Weatherby has to be the best noncustom action around WRONG!!!! Too many lugs.
As far as F class rifles and BR rifles- its like apples and oranges. Different disciplines, different needs from your rifle.
F class- A nice built up Savage will be more than adequate.
BR- custom

I can hear the rumbling in the distance.

Nat,

I respect your experience based on what I have read of yours on this site, but I have to disagree with you here. 1000 yd BR rifle for $1000? No! F-Class rifle for $1000? Yes! Want the proof, check out the Aug 22, issue of the AccurateShooter Daily Bulletin. http://accurateshooter.com/bulletin.html

I will quote a portion of this article:

Savage F-TR Team — World-Beaters on a Budget. It seems hard to believe you can compete and win at the highest levels of long-range shooting competition with a stock factory rifle, but that’s exactly what Team USA did at the recent F-Class World Championships in Bisley, England. The U.S. F-TR team, which included Team Savage shooters, dominated the F-T/R division, winning a total of 14 medals at the World Championships (and various side matches associated with the event).

NOTE: In addition to the four Team Savage Members, the full F-TR Team USA included a number of other shooters, using other rigs. The USA F/TR team that traveled to Bisley consisted of 11 shooters: Darrell Buell (Captain), Gary Rasmussen (Wind Coach), Brad Sauve, Dale Carpenter, John Weil, Jeff Rorer, Stan Pate, Mike Miller, Paul Phillips, Warren Dean, and Monte Milanuk. Gary Rasmussen coached F-TR Team USA and Kathy Buell was official record-keeper. Monte Milanuk explained: “While almost half the team was using a Savage-actioned rifle of some sort (Warren, Darrell, John, Stan & Monte), the rest were using four Barnards (Brad, Paul, Dale, and Mike), one Stolle Panda (Jeff), and a Wichita (Gary).”

End quote.

These guys had a choice of what guns to take to the F-Class World Championship. Half choose a Savage. I think that is a powerful statement of what the Savage F-Class rifle is capable of doing in the proper hands.

With that said, I have been trying to shot my Savages in local BR competition for over a year. I am dying to upgrade to a true custom action.

Luck, Tim

i read that and thats what made me think about getting one of those for 1050 at buds gun shop instid of building one. f-class is all i want to shoot anyways

Savage

I'll second this choice.

You'll get through your reloading learning curve using a factory barrel and lose nothing.

Wise use of funds IMO.

al

I'll third the recommendation. Cut your teeth on the factory barrel, when it's shot out get a custom barrel.

Lou Baccino

Go to a local match, there are often deals there that can be had at a reasonable price. Network extensively and you'll get there. And don't be in a hurry.

I know I'm new here, but I was in your same shoes EXCEPT I did fall into a little bit of money so I built one. I took the advise of "a guy". I have to say... I learned a lot from that build (and the 12 months it took to get the gun back). If I had to do it again, I would buy an existing rig from a known shooter (several you can get for $1000 even more for $1250) and then use that rig to get you going. There are several Bench guns for sale right now. Don't be in a hurry... That costs you money. Know what you want, have your cash ready. When the right deal comes along, jump on it. Get that gun that has 500- 800 rounds through it. Unless it's a 6.5-284, you should have plenty of barrel life left to get you into the game. Then all you need to do is rebarrel. You just might learn that what you thought you wanted, and spent the money to build, is really not what you needed.

Last edited:
I have really learned to appreciate advice from folks that have experience in competition, so much advice on the forums is from people with good intentions but they don't actually shoot the discipline. Charles E gives good common sense advice and knows the sport. That said I would only add that while you trying to decide which gun to buy or even if your set budget is going to be well spent or just resold, remember that you need a good front rest with excellent bags both front and rear. Make a good decision the first time and you won't have to buy all the specialized reloading goodies, bags ect. the second time and will save a significant dollars in the long run.

My take is it's fun to shoot long range and you can shoot almost any price point but competing for the season agg is entirely different.

The F-Class F/TR is quite different from benchrest:

In F-Class there are two shooting categories, Open and F/TR. in Open class, in addition to a scope and rest you are also allowed to shoot most any caliber you want. In open class shooting with a tripod front rest and a rear bag is allowed as well. The other category in F-class is for F/TR. F/TR rules at this years national championship, are: 308/223 only, weight limit of 18.15 lbs. (includes anything attached to the rifle), shot off a bi-pod (no rail gun or return to battery set up). Of course this is relatively new and some changes and or additions are likely when the new rules come out.

I'll allow I don't know that much about F-Class, esp. the T/R format. You'll likely get better answers on the F-Class forum of this site.

Tim,

A Savage F class would get you going. But if you could get a used custom action long range gun, it could save you a lot of money in the long run. I started with a barrleled Rem. varmint gun. Then to a full custom barrel block Rem, and then to a full custom Bat action. I have 3 custom action gun all I got used. Once you shoot a custom action you can't go back, they are just too good.

Mark Schronce

Last edited by a moderator:
The Savage 12 F has shot some of the smallest groups at the Missouri 1000 yard matches of all three classes against custom actions and barrels. Ron has shot several 4" groups. We are glad that he uses his custom rifle in light gun.

Charles,

You are quite correct; there is a marked difference between F/TR and F/Open in the way the guns are fielded and shot. I believe it would be incorrect to think that serious F/TR shooters are any less dedicated to accuracy than F/Open or BR shooters; thats why I'm here listening and learning after all.

My question for some of the folks saying that something would be 'good enough' for F-Class but get a 'real' custom for BR... what exactly do you see as being a definitive difference in the accuracy requirement for a competitive 600-1000yd F-Open gun vs. a competitive 600-1000yd BR gun? Set aside the light-gun/heavy gun weight limits and muzzle brakes. Do you really think the accuracy requirements are any less stringent?

Monte

The Savage 12 F is competitive in IBS 1000 yard benchrest matches.

Just as Charles explained, if the entire system is "almost right", it is wrong. Thats a harsh statement but very true.

Look into the used rifle market, especially those with tricked out Remington actions. Many competitors have started the game in a blue printed Remmy and built second or third guns to have multi side loading and eject flexibility. You can pick up very good used rigs, known fact!

Find out the rifle's history...Has the gun been a winner or is it on the market because the thing hasn't won a relay in three seasons with three different barrels?

Don't underestimate the importance of a good scope.

And again as Charles mentioned, BULLETS!!!

The entire rig, everything comes into play. I guess I'm trying to stress the importance of not handicapping yourself before you pull the handle on your reload press, let alone place the gun on the front rest in a match.

You did come to the right place for advice to minimize mistakes and shorten your learning curve.

im pretty hesitant in buying a used rifle like this. most 1000 yd guns are loaded at max velocities and i dont want to buy a gun and go to shoot only to find out the barrel is worn out and have to buy a new barrel.

my whol goal is to get the most accuracy out of my money. i would love to get a custom action and all the goodies but my budget wont allow that so this is what i have to work with. i dont want to spend all my money then find out i could have gotten more bang for my buck by going a diffrent route.

Factory Savage vs Custom Savage

Tim:
Factory Savage

A factory Savage F-Class rifle dealer cost is about $800.00 the retail price is over $1,000. shipped to your dealer.

No scope No bases, no Bipod

I beleive the F-Class shooters who shot Savages on team USA were offered special deals on night force scopes rings and bases. The scopes, rings and bases retail price was more expensive than their rifles. Yes, they are good shooters no question about it.

Custom Savage

A Savage target action dealer cost shipped to your door is about $430.

A 30-32 custom Barrel is approximately $350 shipped to your door.

Getting it chambered, and crowned is going to cost $150.- $350.

A Stockade or McMillian stock semi finished I between $450-and $900.

This dos not include a PT&G Bolt body repalcement and the machine work to time and true the action approximately $400.00.

I own three Savage F- Class guns and the finished products on each cost in excess of $2,000.00 and I did my own work.

There is a big difference between a factory Savage and a custom Savage and a huge difference in a custom BR rig.

Nat Lambeth

Starting Out

IMO there is nothing wrong with starting out with either a complete Savage rifle or using an inexpensive Savage action as the starting point for an inexpensive budget constrained build. It is better to shoot in a match and have fun rather than sit at home because someone might look down there noses at your equipment.

As a long time 6.5 X 284 shooter I can state that the main problem is that it is extremely hard on barrels, especially with 20 round strings. A more viable solution, if the work or rifle was inexpensively available would be the 6mm BR or one of its variants (Dasher or BRX). Maybe the 6 X 47 (based on the 6.5 X 47 Lapua). All of them have the advantage of Lapua brass with small primer pockets, and light recoil in a lighter rifle. They are extremely accurate also.

And there would be nothing wrong with the off the shelf Savage F class rifles either. A few have been showing up at local club matches and as they have worked on developement and skills their scores have improved. And kudos to Savage for offering something inexpensive to the starting shooter.

If you decide to roll your own, just keep in mind a quality chambering job, regardless of what chambering you settle on, will make or break your accuracy. You could always get an F Savage and rebarrel later on with a match chamber of your choice.

Probably the best glass on a budget is one of the Sightrons, the glass given the price is excellent, and the erector assembly seems to hold zero well. As with most scopes a 20 degree rail is a must.

There was the salient point that a budget rifle will not necessarily win the nationals. That point is, IMO, irrevalent to a starting shooter on a budget. The point is to have fun and gain experience. There are plenty of folks out there more than willing to offer encouragement and technical expertise.

Will such a rig win a major match, probably not. But it will get you started which is the most important part. If you like the competition later on with a bigger budget you can go for a full on rig.

If I had listened to nay sayers I'd never have started shooting long range, would never have met a bunch of really good folks, and certainly never had as enjoyable a time. Sitting around and shooting the breeze (along with some good eats) is half the fun of a good match.

I would remind some that a few years back, a factory Remington Sendero SF in 300 WM with the addition of a Vais brake came in 3rd at the nationals in Iowa.

Dream On...

Sheesh.

I don't know about you, but the guys you will be shooting against want to win.

Sell your oldest child... and get a great rifle, rest, and reloading press.

Remember that this is a lot of work.

You'll be spending way too much time testing bullets, powders, and loads.

It's like a second job.

You'll be worrying about how many rounds you have down the tube if you're lucky enough to get a great barrel.

Quit dicking around on the forums.

Learn to identify those who give good advice, and ignore the rest.

Always remember that this all happens on a bench, all by yourself, and if you're lucky, it's a learning process.

Look at the wind flags, and try to decipher what they tell you.

The best rifle in the world isn't a replacement for trigger time.

And... no, you can't do this well for $1,000.

RBD

N.B. Dreams are nice, though.

IMO there is nothing wrong with starting out with either a complete Savage rifle or using an inexpensive Savage action as the starting point for an inexpensive budget constrained build. It is better to shoot in a match and have fun rather than sit at home because someone might look down there noses at your equipment.

As a long time 6.5 X 284 shooter I can state that the main problem is that it is extremely hard on barrels, especially with 20 round strings. A more viable solution, if the work or rifle was inexpensively available would be the 6mm BR or one of its variants (Dasher or BRX). Maybe the 6 X 47 (based on the 6.5 X 47 Lapua). All of them have the advantage of Lapua brass with small primer pockets, and light recoil in a lighter rifle. They are extremely accurate also.

And there would be nothing wrong with the off the shelf Savage F class rifles either. A few have been showing up at local club matches and as they have worked on developement and skills their scores have improved. And kudos to Savage for offering something inexpensive to the starting shooter.

If you decide to roll your own, just keep in mind a quality chambering job, regardless of what chambering you settle on, will make or break your accuracy. You could always get an F Savage and rebarrel later on with a match chamber of your choice.

Probably the best glass on a budget is one of the Sightrons, the glass given the price is excellent, and the erector assembly seems to hold zero well. As with most scopes a 20 degree rail is a must.

There was the salient point that a budget rifle will not necessarily win the nationals. That point is, IMO, irrevalent to a starting shooter on a budget. The point is to have fun and gain experience. There are plenty of folks out there more than willing to offer encouragement and technical expertise.

Will such a rig win a major match, probably not. But it will get you started which is the most important part. If you like the competition later on with a bigger budget you can go for a full on rig.

If I had listened to nay sayers I'd never have started shooting long range, would never have met a bunch of really good folks, and certainly never had as enjoyable a time. Sitting around and shooting the breeze (along with some good eats) is half the fun of a good match.

I would remind some that a few years back, a factory Remington Sendero SF in 300 WM with the addition of a Vais brake came in 3rd at the nationals in Iowa.

thanks for the words of encorgment. i woul love nothing more than to have 5,000 or however much money it would take to do this perfect, but i dont and i doubt i could ever talk myself into dropping that much on a gun even if i did save it up. what im looking for is the most bang for my 1000 bucks. im very competitive and want to win, but i dont want to win bad enough to drop that kind of money into it. i know for a fact i will spend the trimmer time on the gun and i think even going to a competition and competing id learn alot and thats what im trying to do right now.

Back