new to forum with a 1000 dollar budget

42769vette

awsome car, personally i lusted over the 67 stingray. also i have a cousin that makes a living writing about vettes. (boring life ;) huh)
now to the rifle. sorry to get involved at such a late date but i work out of town.
i dont know where your from but it sounds like you live close to a range. so why not hang around for several matches. join the club, chat with competitors. pick their brains before spending cold hard cash.
maybe find someone that used to compete but because of health or finances has to take a hiatus. one can usually get a good deal under these conditions.
possibly their gun has a borderline barrel on it but if your interest is perked then break for a rebarrel over the winter. if a benchrest gunsmith built the rifle then you would have a good foundation to build a winning rifle later too without having to get another totally new rifle project and respend hard earned cash.
last but not least check the classified adds on this website. possibly someone wants to sell the rifle they used for several seasons to fund the newest and latest whizbang action for their new rifle.
just suggestions as that is how i would enter to competition phase of this sport. realistically just the reloading and testing phase of this sport has pretty high costs for one on a one grand budget.
Fred rambling on...

awsome car, personally i lusted over the 67 stingray. also i have a cousin that makes a living writing about vettes. (boring life ;) huh)
now to the rifle. sorry to get involved at such a late date but i work out of town.
i dont know where your from but it sounds like you live close to a range. so why not hang around for several matches. join the club, chat with competitors. pick their brains before spending cold hard cash.
maybe find someone that used to compete but because of health or finances has to take a hiatus. one can usually get a good deal under these conditions.
possibly their gun has a borderline barrel on it but if your interest is perked then break for a rebarrel over the winter. if a benchrest gunsmith built the rifle then you would have a good foundation to build a winning rifle later too without having to get another totally new rifle project and respend hard earned cash.
last but not least check the classified adds on this website. possibly someone wants to sell the rifle they used for several seasons to fund the newest and latest whizbang action for their new rifle.
just suggestions as that is how i would enter to competition phase of this sport. realistically just the reloading and testing phase of this sport has pretty high costs for one on a one grand budget.
Fred rambling on...

believe it or not ive never been to a organized range. i live on a farm and i can shoot about 800 yds by opening the window to my reloading room. (obviously i never do) im going to check the classifieds now. thanks for the advise.

i had to sell my vette a few years back for the down payment on my house:(
but by that time 42769vette was already my name on so many things i see no reason to change it when i join a new forum now

Last edited by a moderator:
just a update i just bought a trued modle 70 260 rem with a 28 inch shilien barrel and target stock for 750. im also buying his dies and some bullets and powder witch brings the grand total to 850. he is a 1000yd shooter who has upgraded and no longer uses this rig. with oven sights his last score was 192. i also get some load data and the round count is 800. and the nice thing is i trust the man and believe the round count to be accurate. ive only seen pics so far but i pick up the rifle on monday. ive got to buy some 20 moa bases and the stock is badly in need of a paint job.

i figure the bases will run 70ish so i got what i wanted for under 1000.

427 - On load developement for a .260.

139 gr Lapua Scenar, either Federal or CCI primer, either H4831 or H4831SC, and work your way towards 47.0 gr of powder carefully.

Remington .260 brass will work OK, you'll just want to inspect and sort the brass a bit and clean up the flash holes. Necking up .243 brass can leave donuts and necking down .308 brass can be a chore. Best to start off keeping it simple.

http://www.6mmbr.com/gunweek046.html is about the best article I've seen on the .260 and .260 AI, makes for a good read.

Back