New to BenchRest

BenchRest

Drknite, what Scope are you talking about? Just to be clear. Thanks Greg

Well, here goes. My second post on this board. To the OP, I am not a seasoned Bench shooter. I am an interested new guy though and have been shooting informal Bench for a couple of years. I have a highly modified 10/22 clone Bench rifle with a threaded to receiver Benchmark barrel in a Turner Custom straight line bench stock. I have a new 2500X bolt gun on order which I will use to start my journey into formal BR shooting next summer. I live in the mid-west so ARA will be the game, very little IR50/50 out here.

I jump into this conversation for two reasons. You are a new shooter to BR, newer than me, and you have received some very good advise about reining in the wallet before you see what you are getting into. Sound advise. The second reason is because I have some experience with several of the scopes that have been mentioned, Sightron and Weaver. Should you decide to not take the first point, reining in the wallet for now, the second part may be of help.

I own a T-36, a Sightron SII 36x Big Sky, and 2 Sightron 10-50x60, the later with fine x-hair target dot. My Weaver is decent glass and tracks well, the AO lock ring does not like to stay locked though. I find it will not keep focus several times during an extended range session. The SII 36x does not have this issue and it's clarity is slightly better than the T-36, tracking is also good. It does cost a bit more. I would forget about the SIII 10-50 for now, and I'm not saying they are not good scopes, both of mine are great. You are looking at a grand, at least, for a new one though. In your time in the sport, that money would be better spent on other equipment and ammo for practice.

I totally agree with those that have posted saying it takes several years to make headway in this sport. It is a challenging and rewarding sport though. JME

Last edited:
Doug, that is exactly how I shoot a sporter (and I've had some success over the years). What you posted is a good primer on how to shoot a sporter, but was just wondering whether a Mil-Dot reticle would make it somewhat easier and more precise. Maybe at some point I'll buy a scope with a Mil-Dot, set it at 6X and see if it makes things easier or not.

Have you ever looked at the Clearidge Scopes. ?

Thanks for the suggestion. They don't have 1/8" adjustments (which I prefer) but they are light enough and are inexpensive enough to mess around with to at least to see if it's a concept that I might like. Thanks for the suggestion.

Last edited:
BenchRest

Red, thanks but the max power they have is 22.5 I am seeking for around 40X, but thanks Greg

Is there any opinions out there that these are bench rest quality scopes? Any being used?

Probably not. From what I'm reading they are made by Light Optical in Japan and are similar to Weaver. The one that I'd be interested in checking out is the rimfire 3-9x32. It has an AO with semi-target adj knobs and are light enough for sporters that are a bit on the heavy side. I have a Benjamin air gun that currently has a cheap Bushnell that this would be an upgrade for, if it's not suitable for benchrest. I doubt that it would likely replace my Burris HBR on my sporter but it would satisfy my curiosity about Mil-Dots usefulness for sporter class. It'll give me something to mess around with once the weather turns nice.

BenchRest

I just saw a video on 22lr resizing Die are they worth the time and money? Thanks.

No sir...they're not in terms of competition benchrest shooting. That said, be advised that I didn't even look!

BenchRest

Guys not so much for Benchrest shooting as ely already puts the flatten head on there ammo but for making hollow points that expand much quicker.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really don't think it matters much but buy it if you choose. The darn thing probably won't hurt anything and give you something to do on a cold day.

Why would you want your bullet to expand quicker? I think that's a loaded question but not sure.

BenchRest

Loaded Question?

The video I watched showed the Die making hollow points from a normal round point bullet, As with all products it is good to ask Questions and get some feedback about a product if anyone has use it.

Loaded Question?

The video I watched showed the Die making hollow points from a normal round point bullet, As with all products it is good to ask Questions and get some feedback about a product if anyone has use it.

There is no such animal as benchrest hollowpoint ammunition. The die is for hunting rounds.

Back