New to BenchRest

D

dynotime

Hello All, My club is going to start a Rimfire benchrest Group. I would like any help at all. I own a Ruger 10-22 and a
Savage Mark II. The Mark II shoots very good So I think I will start with that Rifle.
Questions.
1 What Scope would be a good Choice 50 to 100 yards

2 A front Rest. I have seen a lot of them that cost 500 to 1500 Dollars. If you use one let me know.

3 I have used Wolf but anything better?

4 A after market BenchRest Stock for the Savage Mark II And A benchrest stock for the Ruger 10-22 a stock that will
lay flat when on the rest.

5 Does anyone make a very good aftermarket Barrel for each If I do get a Barrel I want top of the line.

6 This Question is a catch all, what did I miss, How good will I have to shoot at 50 yard and 100 yards---- I know
I have to shoot small group's but what is a good group. What is a good trigger pull for bench rest ?

Thank Everyone G e-mail me if you have any equipment for sale at dynotime1@yahoo.com

You might want to lay out a budget of what you'd like to spend overall. This isn't a cheap game, but there are some affordable options. We just need to know what to suggest based on your funds!

BenchRest

Sir, I have the Savage Mark II, I have a Tacco 10-40 scope that I have been using. So far I can place 85% of my shots into a 1" Dia circle at 100' yards, using Wolf Ammo, I do get flyers and I am not sure if it is me or my rifle or bipod. I use a Harris BiPod and a Cadwell rear green bag. I have saved $ 3000 So I have that to spend.

I have my trigger set to about 1.5 lb. The biggest problem was to keep the scope tight as I was chasing the holes but the Scope ended up being loose. The Scope has settled in and holds now.

I really want to get a BenchRest Stock with a wide base.

If I missed something let me know. If I need to spend a little more it is ok. Thanks Greg

Last edited by a moderator:
I would first see what the club is going to have as far as rules go. Some clubs will allow anything, while other are more restrictive. As in OEM rifles only, bi-pods or sandbags only, ammo limitations.....

Once you have that figured out, spend yor money on a good rifle. Nothing wrong with the Savage or 10/22, but not bench rifles. If your going OEM, a 1913 Anschutz, Remington 40X or something in that class. Figure on 1200 to 2200 for the rifle. If you go custom, the actions run 900 to 1300, the barrel 350+, trigger, 200 to 500, stock 400 to 700 then a great smith to put it all together $$$$? Best route is to contact Dan Killough at KSS, he usually has several ready to run BR rifles in stock and can test ammo prior to shipping.

The rest, if you go that route, a Pappas one piece or one of the others Hall or Arnolds.... If your going two piece, a Randolph, Farley or Greenlaw, several others available as well. These will go for 700 to 1200 depending on the tops, plus a rear bag.

Wind flags, if your shooting outdoors are a must, figure 300 + on those.

Ammo, 15.00 to 25.00 a box, Eley, Lapua or RWS. Wolf won't do in this game.

Personally, I would attend to major sanctioned match before buying anything, see what BR is all about, before dropping a pile of money in equipment.

OR

If your just planning on just shooting on a local level, buy a good target rifle and some good ammo, put your bi-pod on it and learn to shoot it. There are many good rifles to buy that will compete. BR is not that much different than other equipment driven sports, usually the best equipment and ammo get the best results.

Good luck
George

BenchRest

Thank you for your input. I will look for the Equipment you talked about.

One Question is on the Flags is how does one go about learning to read them.

Are the flag's only for Rimfire? As I never see anyone using Flags for the 1000 yard shooting I see on youtube, I know there is a big differences I was just wondering.

Also how does one read the flag's when looking at the X ring through the scope?
Thank you for your reply. Greg

I agree with don't buy anything until you go to a couple matches and ask questions. See what experienced shooters are using. You'll find everybody more than willing to help. Check IR 50/50 and ARA schedules for matches near you. Start shooting at your club with what you have, at least until the rules and competition level are established.

The only way to learn how to read wind flags is to shoot over them. Use both eyes, one for the flags the other in the scope. Seldom will you hold center of the X. Most establish the proper hold for the condition they expect and squeeze the trigger when it occurs. The trigger pull is usually less than 2 oz. When learning, or any time for that matter, practice in the wind. Hold dead center and shoot while observing the conditions. Let the wind change use the same hold and shoot again. You may/will be surprised at how far a bullet will move. Play around with hold offs for various conditions and velocities You'll learn as you go. With any luck, after a few cases of ammo you will have confidence in your wind reading abilities (until you get to a range with really squirrely conditions, then back to square one).;)

Good luck,

Ken Henderson

Differences in rifles.

The differences in a good BR gun and a off the shelf sporter type.

CZ452 Trainer, this is the best I can do with it, except for the trigger ( now at 4oz) its bone stock.
This was on a night that was not too windy.
CZ452-246.jpg

This is from a Remington 540XR target rifle, also bone stock. Trigger at 1 lb.
540XR250.jpg

Neither of these two targets will win much at a match, thats why I have better rifles and better ammo. This is also after many cases of ammo and years learning how to shoot off bi-pods.

This was shot with a custom rifle, outdoors testing ammo. I shoot this one off bi-pods as well. The rest is the best way to go however, it will allow you to check your flags, as once you have it setting where you want it, you really do not have to look at the target as much.
06-24-15RA.JPG

Falcon Bi-Pod-1.jpg

George

Last edited:
BenchRest

George, What was the distance you were shooting? I do not know how to score your shooting but to me you hit the center every time, Good Shooting
BTW how big is the Center Circle ? Thank for the Pictures. Greg

I

BenchRest

Guys how does one know if the Rifle is doing its job? What I mean is how do we know when we buy a BR rimfire Rifle it will shoot the same hole every time the trigger is pulled.

Does the rifle have to be put into a bench vice and shot inside to see how the rifle shoots without the human error. That way when the holes are not on target one would know it is not the rifle when in a match.

Would that be the best way to find the ammo the Rifle likes ?

Would that be the only way to know for sure?? I know I ask a lot of questions

Thank everyone Greg

George, What was the distance you were shooting? I do not know how to score your shooting but to me you hit the center every time, Good Shooting
BTW how big is the Center Circle ? Thank for the Pictures. Greg

I

50 Yards on these.

Scoring will depend on the target being shot, some utilize a small center dot, referred to as a X while others use the highest score of 100 for the center. Some use worst edge scoring ( touching the next lowest scoring ring ) and others best edge touching the best scoring ring or dot. ARA is worst edge, IR is best edge. The 10 ring on a IR target is approx .250 and all you need to do is touch it, while the 100 ring on a ARA is .500 but the shot will have to be inside the circle.

George

how do we know when we buy a BR rimfire Rifle it will shoot the same hole every time the trigger is pulled.

There are almost none, if any, rifles that will do that. And those that claim to will cost upwards of 6-10K. There are just too many variables involved, and not just human error, to be able make that claim. There are many rifles that will do that most of the time, though.

If you're starting out the best advice you'll get is to keep your money in your pocket until you go to a few matches that have shooters who have been through what you're going through right now. That probably means a sanctioned IR50/50 or ARA match, just because you're likely to find shooters who have traveled the same path. There you'll hear some good advice not just about a rifle but rests, tuning, ammo and wind flags.

My best piece of advice is for not to feel that you have to win when you're starting out which leads you to spending money you'll later regret. It will easily take several years to get all the pieces to start working so take your time.

There are almost none, if any, rifles that will do that. And those that claim to will cost upwards of 6-10K. There are just too many variables involved, and not just human error, to be able make that claim. There are many rifles that will do that most of the time, though.

If you're starting out the best advice you'll get is to keep your money in your pocket until you go to a few matches that have shooters who have been through what you're going through right now. That probably means a sanctioned IR50/50 or ARA match, just because you're likely to find shooters who have traveled the same path. There you'll hear some good advice not just about a rifle but rests, tuning, ammo and wind flags.

My best piece of advice is for not to feel that you have to win when you're starting out which leads you to spending money you'll later regret. It will easily take several years to get all the pieces to start working so take your time.

This is the best advice you're going to get. It comes under the " a picture is worth a thousand words" thinking.
You can ask on forums till you turn blue but won't learn 1/2 as much as hanging around a couple matches.
Likely, you probably even will run across decent equipment for sale as well.

BenchRest

Thanks, Where Do I look for local rimfire BenchRest Matches

I am located in Connecticut, Just north of New Haven.

I would love to go to a Match and look around.

I know when we set up the BR Group will be a small number of member of guys to start.

We have a total of 275 members.

BenchRest

Thanks George, Max and everyone that has replied so far.

Guys is it a good idea to start at 25 yards and work my way out.

Greg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks George, Max and everyone that has replied so far.

Greg

Look on the IR5050 website:
http://www.ir5050.com/

Go to the "RANGES" tab and you'll get to some ranges in New England that might work for you. I drove 3 hours to get to my first benchrest match. If you see a range that might work most of them have contact info they'll be able to tell you about their 2016 plans.

The ARA site will be helpful as well:
http://www.americanrimfire.com/

Again, you'll need to travel out of state.

If you feel adventurous you can travel down to Piney Hill in Virginia this winter and shoot indoors!

Greg

I would start at 50 yards and stay there. There is little competition at other distances. I think the 50/50 target is easier for a beginner to understand as it is counted on the high side but if there are other clubs in your area who are competing with benchrest .22 rimfire, you should contact them and use their target.

I believe you can go to the websites of 50/50 and ARA from the home page of this site. You can find the locations of clubs that shoot their kind from their site or you can call the folks who run the shoots and ask them for locations in your area.

Before you are through buying your equipment for this sport you will have invested some money. It is good advice to start with what you have and see what others are using before you start buying. This sport is a lot of fun and the best suggestion I can offer is to remember that you are competing only against your self.

Regards,

Concho Bill

Thanks, Where Do I look for local rimfire BenchRest Matches

I am located in Connecticut, Just north of New Haven.

I would love to go to a Match and look around.

I know when we set up the BR Group will be a small number of member of guys to start.

We have a total of 275 members.

In New England and eastern NY, IR50/50 is the popular game. The closest ranges to you will be the IR50/50 clubs in NY such as Wallkill, Wawarsing and Salem NY. They also shoot IR50/50 in Easthampton MA and at Angle Tree in North Attleboro MA. I shoot at both Wallkill and Wawarsing clubs in NY and we get several shooters from CT attending our matches (as well as shooters from PA and NJ). Our first matches next season will likely start in April. You will encounter some very friendly and helpful shooters at all of the Northeast clubs. The competition is tough though; lots of experienced shooters with great equipment.

The club is new to benchrest... Personally I'd lobby to put a $$$ limit on the ammo. Paying more ($22) for a box of ammo than a round of golf is stupid. As a matter of fact $15 is too much for 50 rounds that you'll go through in less than an hour. I've become a bit disgusted with the whole ammo $$$ that is required to keep up with the Jones. For beyond a reasonable doubt ammo does make a difference.
I went through a couple rest's before settling on the Sinclair rest. More than one shooter at the club have adopted these rests.
We don't shoot one piece rests. So the rear bag... I have no clue. I've not found "the one".
The benches are paramount. Nice ones make for a better experience than flimsy ones.
Scope... IMO 36x minimum with the ability to adjust the parallax down to 50 yards. Actually I think being able to go down to 10 meters is necessary for more all around benchrest use.

Last edited:
Dynotime,

Winter is almost upon us. Had you started your inquiry earlier, I would have invited you to join me at my local range for a practice session and I would have given you a good primer on rimfire benchrest that would answer most of your questions and have you shoot one of my rifles over flags. If you are still interested in BR come the Spring, send me a private message and I would be happy to show you what this game is all about. Since IR50/50 is the sanctioned game we shoot here in the Northeast, go to the IR50/50 website, read and learn the rules and learn all you can about that game and the target we shoot than linger here and the Rimfire Accuracy forum, ignore the bickering (it's recreational) and learn as much as you can absorb. Be patient, it will take you some time to figure this game out. It can be very frustrating at times and that's a huge understatement. The more you're like a sponge and willing to learn from those who have had some success in this game and ignore those who think they know, the better off you will be. Of course the hard part is sorting out those who know from those who think they know. There are a few keyboard shooters around. You'll get it all figured out in time.

Last edited:
I would like to encourage you in your new endeavor. I must warn you it can be costly. You would do well to listen to Bill B as he has helped me immensely. I started last year and he has been helpful in suggesting good equipment and techniques. Good luck and get your wallet out. Just kidding, depends on how competitive you want to be and at what level. I found it best to buy good equipment the first time. Saves you from upgrading later. Good luck.

Back