New to Benchrest, Need Help!

Bah hmbug ??? The sporter class is the toughest, most fun class ever invented, and not sissy ones with 12X scopes. :D
6X scopes, that's what sporters wear.
Sporters here are shooting some wild scores because we have great componants and guys like Gordon Eck putting their heart and soul into the little guns like never before.
Don't know why you directed your response to me.....anyone should shoot anything that gets them in the game. My gripe would be with some of these backwards thinkers at some clubs that preclude flag use.
I can't imagine anyone arguing against the fact that club, sanctioned, or anything in between, is initially about learning and developing a skill set whether you have aspirations or self improvement.
You shoot blind....no flags, you are unlikely to ever learn much of anything.
Even the guys Bob said he dealt with..... Hell a couple sticks down range with surveyors tape for tails will teach you SOMETHING, for about $3 total cost.

You is getting to be awfull cranky Tim old chap, calm down, tis just my opinion.
We shoot real sporters ,as a choice its all we have, Your sporter is a very light LV, which makes it an "VLLV".
Now if I lived in the states I would probably try to own a Sporter By Mr Eck or one of your other builders but to me it would not be called a Sporter,You have your opinions(plenty of em) so this is just MY opinion. I have an Anschutz Sporter wich I shoot of a bipod For a bit of fun and when I shoot a 250 I shout HURRAH,that were fun. John F.

You is getting to be awfull cranky Tim old chap, calm down, tis just my opinion.
We shoot real sporters ,as a choice its all we have, Your sporter is a very light LV, which makes it an "VLLV".
Now if I lived in the states I would probably try to own a Sporter By Mr Eck or one of your other builders but to me it would not be called a Sporter,You have your opinions(plenty of em) so this is just MY opinion. I have an Anschutz Sporter wich I shoot of a bipod For a bit of fun and when I shoot a 250 I shout HURRAH,that were fun. John F.

This conversation was about IR50 sporters. They are a specific class not 6 guys plinking behind the pub. What you have, what you call it, and what target you use is relevant to this how?

Besides, sporters with 12X scopes at 25 yards???

Last edited:
This conversation was about IR50 sporters. They are a specific class not 6 guys plinking behind the pub. What you have, what you call it, and what target you use is relevant to this how?

Besides, sporters with 12X scopes at 25 yards???

I don't know Tim what would you call it, same target as the Worlds 25 spot, shot at 50yds (the pub has a big beer garden) also shot indoor at 25yd (the pub has a big hall) and there you have it. Now besides being crankie I think it is a waste of time talking to you, so I shall carry on having fun with my 22 benchrest club shooters. OH YEAh, sorry I must have got it wrong, was it not about a fella asking for advice on getting started in 22 benchrest .Tootle pip old chap. John F.:)

I don't know Tim what would you call it, same target as the Worlds 25 spot, shot at 50yds (the pub has a big beer garden) also shot indoor at 25yd (the pub has a big hall) and there you have it. Now besides being crankie I think it is a waste of time talking to you, so I shall carry on having fun with my 22 benchrest club shooters. OH YEAh, sorry I must have got it wrong, was it not about a fella asking for advice on getting started in 22 benchrest .Tootle pip old chap. John F.:)

Your English, sometimes it's hard figuring out what the hell you're trying to say. Was it helping a newbie or bitching about sporters?
Now that being said, in the interest of international brotherhood.........Tootie pip to you as well.

Your English, sometimes it's hard figuring out what the hell you're trying to say. Was it helping a newbie or bitching about sporters?
Now that being said, in the interest of international brotherhood.........Tootie pip to you as well.

Tim,
Just curious, since this thread has totally run off the tracks already, and could not be jacked anymore than it has, do you ever post on RFC? If so, what is your user name there? Again, just curious.

Tim,
Just curious, since this thread has totally run off the tracks already, and could not be jacked anymore than it has, do you ever post on RFC? If so, what is your user name there? Again, just curious.

No.

Thanks! You just remind me of someone there that is from NY who posts in the BR section of that board, though not very often.
Have a great Christmas!!

From the Catskills, no secret, that's Busky. I'm in Syracuse, anywhere I ever post I use my name.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the help, after extensive research I'm going to upgrade my 10/22 as much as possible while I hone my skills. Once/if my skills surpass my upgraded 10/22, I'll buy another gun. This is all new to me and I know this way in the long run is more expensive, but I feel this is the best intro to the sport for me.

Thanks again

Many have said the same thing...hone my skills and then upgrade. Fact is, and it's a true fact, you can't hone skills beyond what your rifle is capable of. You can have fun of course, but when it comes to skill you gotta have a darn good rifle. Folks are having fun with both so I'm not saying much here other than sooner or later you'll have to choose.

If a shot goes bad what caused it to go bad....you or the rifle? I'll leave ammo out of the discussion because any inclusion of ammo makes my point less attractive. :)

Try this site: http://www.killoughshootingsports.com/index.php/rifles/used.html

One of these rifles with the Anschutz or Rem 40x action should get you going in the right direction. They will even tunnel test the gun for a $45 fee and get you some ammo that will help further the process along a little. Once you fire some good groups buy as much of that ammo as you can afford. To be competitive at your club will not be cheap. To be competitive on a larger scale will hurt your pocket book a lot more. Dan Killough is putting one together for me right now. I am spending $3K, less scope. My suggestion is to spend the money up front that way you won't be second guessing yourself on equipment down the road. And most important of all, learn to read the wind flags and meters. In the rimfire game you are at the mercy of the ammo manufacturers and your ability to dope the conditions.

Try this site: http://www.killoughshootingsports.com/index.php/rifles/used.html

One of these rifles with the Anschutz or Rem 40x action should get you going in the right direction. They will even tunnel test the gun for a $45 fee and get you some ammo that will help further the process along a little. Once you fire some good groups buy as much of that ammo as you can afford. To be competitive at your club will not be cheap. To be competitive on a larger scale will hurt your pocket book a lot more. Dan Killough is putting one together for me right now. I am spending $3K, less scope. My suggestion is to spend the money up front that way you won't be second guessing yourself on equipment down the road. And most important of all, learn to read the wind flags and meters. In the rimfire game you are at the mercy of the ammo manufacturers and your ability to dope the conditions.

sofarfrome,
Interesting post, I too have a new build with Dan. I called today to check on progress and talked to Paul, Dan was out. Are you aware, according to Paul, they only will test Red Box Eley? Tenex has a somewhat dubious rep in North America. Many feel most of the good lots never make it across the pond. I have heard the same story from more than one distributor. I have done my own testing with Black box and will continue to do so, unless Eley in the future allows Dan to test the same in their tunnel. I tested at Lapua this last summer and was left lacking. I was hoping for a Black box test before my rifle was shipped, but as of now, it does not look good.

Good luck with the new rifle sir!

Savage Justice.......a good used rifle could work out for you. I, personally, decided to have one built. Proven action, barrel, smith, and trigger, and no one has screwed around with it before I get it. Isn't cheap, but gives me a clean slate to start with. Good luck with your quest.

sofarfrome, Good luck with the new rifle sir!

Yes, I know they only test Tenex. I have heard the story that the really good lots do not make it across the pond. But for now I will take the best they can offer of the tenex and test some others when time permits. I have a suhl LV rig which I found through testing that SK match will shoot as well as any Tenex I have put through it. I did not test every lot/machine/speed of tenex on Killoughs list at the time but I did test about 12 of them. I also tested some of the black box ammo and discovered that machine 5 at 1068 fps shot better than anything I had previously tested. I bought all that they had at the time and I am now down to 11 boxes left. To be honest, if I can't find an ammo that works as well I may just sell the rifle and look for another LV rig.

I made a huge mistake when I sold my Annie-54 that would literally shoot Federal 711B into the same hole on more occasions than not. I shot several 250-23x targets with that gun in practice, but never in a match, too much pressure I guess. I could have bought about 20K rounds of the same lot of the 711B for the same price as approximately 5K rounds of the Tenex at the time. But I was focused on getting that damned suhl up and running. When the 711B lot number changed the gun never shot the same again. Oh well, live and learn.

Back