New Sniper Record

Last edited:
Clearly I misfigured! Could be I was thinking the whole time about the last shot I fired at that 1000 yard match I attended. Missed that big ol' target by 10+ feet....saw it hit the dirt. Charles Ellertson suggested I shoot another shot but I feared that was against the rules.

I question what kind of accuracy a 50 cal can produce. You see very few at benchrest matches. I would think that 1 minute with the thing would be good.

Isnt 1 MOA at 2.2 miles or about 3700 yd equivalent to about 37" and 1/4 minute 9.25"+/-. That makes an exceptional shot a real posibility.

What I can't see anyone

What I can't see is any one calculating is the effects of the wind that the bullet has to fly through. At the top of its arc it would be at least 35 to 40 feet above the line of sight. If you climb to the top of a structure that high you'll find there is wind even when there is not much at ground level. No ground effects can accurately indicate the wind that far off the ground. So I am afraid unless someone can tell me how to accurately predict this effect you've lost me.

What I can't see is any one calculating is the effects of the wind that the bullet has to fly through. At the top of its arc it would be at least 35 to 40 feet above the line of sight. If you climb to the top of a structure that high you'll find there is wind even when there is not much at ground level. No ground effects can accurately indicate the wind that far off the ground. So I am afraid unless someone can tell me how to accurately predict this effect you've lost me.

Mate respectfully you need to get access to a ballistic calculator, the drop conservatively is 350 yards, 1050 feet above line of sight, at that range, unless it was on a big angle, with a 750 Amax or equivalent with a G1 BC of around 1.0 going 2600 fps, the 50BMG has tons of energy but a rainbow trajectory.

1 moa is exceptional accuracy for a factory 50 BMG at short range let alone extreme range even for a bolt action.

Last edited:
I rest my case

Mate respectfully you need to get access to a ballistic calculator, the drop conservatively is 350 yards, 1050 feet above line of sight, at that range, unless it was on a big angle, with a 750 Amax or equivalent with a G1 BC of around 1.0 going 2600 fps, the 50BMG has tons of energy but a rainbow trajectory.

1 moa is exceptional accuracy for a factory 50 BMG at short range let alone extreme range even for a bolt action.

I rest my case.With no wind indicators at 350yds above the line of sight the enemy just had a bad day.

Mate respectfully you need to get access to a ballistic calculator, the drop conservatively is 350 yards, 1050 feet above line of sight.

Wonder what type of scope/mount combination was used to handle that amount of bullet drop at distance?

I rest my case.With no wind indicators at 350yds above the line of sight the enemy just had a bad day.

well, wind at ground level is related to winds aloft. So it's not like there is zero indication of wind at a 1000' agl.

All of this writing is about an improbable rifle shot which resulted in taking a man's life. Well, "War is hell."

Lets see

well, wind at ground level is related to winds aloft. So it's not like there is zero indication of wind at a 1000' agl.

Lets see what kind of a group I could shoot even at 200 yards when I position my flags that far above the ground. After all the winds aloft are related to those I am experiencing at ground level.

Lets see what kind of a group I could shoot even at 200 yards when I position my flags that far above the ground. After all the winds aloft are related to those I am experiencing at ground level.

shrug - you said "no wind indicators at 350yds above the line of sight"

A wind flag at 1000' agl isn't the only means to get a sense of the wind at that height. However, I don't know if snipers pay any attention to the common changes in wind direction and wind speed that occur as you go up in altitude.

The wind at 40 meters is fairly constant. The wind at ground level changes erratically....which is why we have and use wind flags. I've watched both the flume from a cooling tower (300 feet) and the output from a wind meter 40 meters up and they did not change direction very quickly. At 40 meters up, the velocity was fairly constant and the directional changes were gradual.

I beg to differ

The wind at 40 meters is fairly constant. The wind at ground level changes erratically....which is why we have and use wind flags. I've watched both the flume from a cooling tower (300 feet) and the output from a wind meter 40 meters up and they did not change direction very quickly. At 40 meters up, the velocity was fairly constant and the directional changes were gradual.

I beg to differ. As an industrial photographer I have often had to take photographs high above the ground on derricks, towers and the like. The ground wind in many cases was non-existent with a wind of 25mph 90 ft off the ground. 10 minutes later it can be blowing in the opposite direction. Similarly there have been winds of 10 to 15 mph at ground level and almost calm 80 to 90 ft above ground. It's completely unpredictable. A quarter of a mile away the situation could be different again at the very same time. Just ask a rotary wing pilot if you don't believe me.

Have to agree with you Wilbur. I use this https://www.windfinder.com/forecast/lakeland_linder_airport to get an idea of what the day is going to be like. If you watch the indicator at the top left that tells you what the wind is doing right now you will see very slow changes. A short distance away on the ground at the range it is a totally different story, wind constantly changing direction and speed.

Doesn't really matter for benchrest group shooters. If you don't have some wind flags to watch your groups will be larger and you can't do anything about it.

There's always a hitch to any statement...Dennis Brame won a 300 yard match and he had a single flag about 15 yards from the bench. What was exceptional about that was he drew a bench away from the crowd and was all by himself with maybe 10 benches between him and flags. I asked him what he was watching and he said "nothing much".

I wonder if Dennis is still with us. Always a nice guy miss seeing him. He sure made that chewing tobacco look good....... the juices just flowed like butter ?

>>> snip<<<

There's always a hitch to any statement...Dennis Brame won a 300 yard match and he had a single flag about 15 yards from the bench. What was exceptional about that was he drew a bench away from the crowd and was all by himself with maybe 10 benches between him and flags. I asked him what he was watching and he said "nothing much".

I have this discussion regularly with my clubmates when they ask why I put a flag at 12m, another at 25m and the final one near the target (.22 rimfire 50m and 100m targets).

I figure it like this: If the projectile is going to be blown off line just after it leaves the barrel it ain't going to drift back on line real soon.
If the projectile is going to be hit by a blast at 25m it's not good, but the deflection is less than above.
Finally, if the projectile makes it almost to the target and a gust hits it, how far is it going to move off line?

Line up the flags every time in a repeatable orientation and get as many shots away as possible when you have that 'condition'

So many people put just one flag, ribbon, bit of surveyor's tape etc. above their target and ignore what happens closer to the muzzle. IMHO this is a mistake.

* doghunter *

That's a true statement...the closer the flag is to the bench the more important it is. on the other hand, it's the "condition" that is truly important to smaller groups.

Back