New Shooter looking to get into sporter rimfire

B

BMEtOH

Hi Everybody,

I'm a recent college graduate who shot on my school's pistol team but I now want to get into rifle.

I'm interested in getting into benchrest, but I think I only have the budget for shooting rimfire, specifically the sporter category.

To this end, I was wondering what people might recommend as good rifles to start with?

I was thinking a CZ 455 varmint with the heavy barrel.

Also, could anybody suggest a good scope as well as a rest? Are there any books or web pages I should read to learn more?
My budget is $1000 - $1500. Is this realistic?
I apologize for the somewhat basic questions. This is all new to me and I'm trying to learn as much as possible on the fly!

Welcome to benchrest. The first step before buying anything would be to visit local clubs to determine which targets they are using. USBR, ARA, IR50/50, etc. When you know what type of matches you will be shooting you can then read the RULES for Sporter Class in that discipline. Also observe matches that have shooters competing in Sporter to get an idea of what they are using.

And contrary to what you would think,

sporter is the most expensive class to be competitive in............

losing weight is expensive

and you have to have a gun built that is basically tuned as is because no external tuners are allowed.

welcome

Again,

Welcome to rimfire benchrest. The advice you have received so far is excellent. Until homologation is incorporated into the rules, particularly for the Sporter class, money will be the deciding factor.

Gerry

Do you mean sporter rifle or sporter class? Big difference. A sporter rifle is kind of like a hunting gun you use on the bench. Competitive sporter class means a well refined match rifle. It is NOT an entry level activity for the vast majority of us.

The majors, IE IR50/50, RBA and ARA have sporter class rules that are not consistent. An IR50 sporter can be used in any of them albeit at a disadvantage in ARA without a scope change Stocks have different dimensional rules. There are many more rules that need to be met for the sporter class. You have been advised to read the rules for the discipline(s) you are interested in. Links to the rules are easily accessible from the home page of this forum.

As has been said the most expensive rifle to build that will win is the Sporter. And, pointing it to win takes some skill and often more than a bit of luck.

Where do you live? Tell us and we can help you find some matches in the above disciplines. Then you should consider going to one, introduce yourself to the gang there and see what goes on and ask lots of questions. IR50 predominates in the NE, RBA way out west and in the SE and ARA has a following pretty much throughout the country with some exceptions.

I don't want to be a naysayer but you stated your rifle budget. Does that budget need to include front rest and rear bag, or 1 piece rest if you are going to only shoot ARA. How about wind flags which are just as important as your rifle, maybe more so unless you are only going to shoot indoors. Yes there are indoor matches during the winter season. Indoor matches are held in NC, VA, AR and LA. bob

Thank you for your input.

It seems I was misinformed. My information was based upon secondhand knowledge from a friend who, it's clear now, was wrong.

I live in CT now but am moving down to Florida in the fall, not far from the Manatee Gun Club where I know rimfire benchrest matches take place.

So, let me perhaps start at the beginning.

If I wanted to get into benchrest shooting, what would be the most accessible way? Could I have estimates on a startup cost?

Does it truly come down to an equipment race?

In the meantime, I will go and read the rules for the different events that you have mentioned.

Many thanks in advance.

start up

Thank you for your input.

It seems I was misinformed. My information was based upon secondhand knowledge from a friend who, it's clear now, was wrong.

I live in CT now but am moving down to Florida in the fall, not far from the Manatee Gun Club where I know rimfire benchrest matches take place.

So, let me perhaps start at the beginning.

If I wanted to get into benchrest shooting, what would be the most accessible way? Could I have estimates on a startup cost?

Does it truly come down to an equipment race?

In the meantime, I will go and read the rules for the different events that you have mentioned.

Many thanks in advance.

Start up cost to shoot benchrest in your backyard; set and achieve personal goals: $500.00 to $1000.00.

Start up cost to be competitive at matches: $5000.00 to $10,000.00. Sorry I had to bring you that news. Bob's post was spot on.

Gerry

My guess

would be closer to 3000 in equipment and another 2000 in ammo. The ammo cost is the real killer because it just keeps biting you. That would be in an unlimited gun. As for an equipment race, you can't win without a good gun but a good gun will not win many matches without a knowledgeable shooter.

Winning rifle or just having fun

you can be somewhat competitive with a cooper TRP3 and some decent ammo,

they run about 1300 for the gun (new)

hope this helps you on your way

Jefferson

If the Benchrest is too much $$, check you new area for the Rimfire Silhouette games.
still requires a very decent rifle - cant have cold round flyers,etc., and a lot of shooter skills.
CZ with a tapered barrel are the defacto intro gun, hunter class for silhouette.

you can be somewhat competitive with a cooper TRP3 and some decent ammo,

they run about 1300 for the gun (new)

hope this helps you on your way

Jefferson

I would second this. There are a handful of Coopers up here in Maine that do very well in IR 50/50 competition. The idea of shooting a "Sporter" in all the classes is an interesting one. Some, or most good Sporters are capable of shooting 250's with very high x counts. I am considering trying that route out. I think an additional stock that could be swapped in a few seconds is all that's needed.

Pete

Hi Everybody,

I'm a recent college graduate who shot on my school's pistol team but I now want to get into rifle.

I'm interested in getting into benchrest, but I think I only have the budget for shooting rimfire, specifically the sporter category.

To this end, I was wondering what people might recommend as good rifles to start with?

I was thinking a CZ 455 varmint with the heavy barrel.

Also, could anybody suggest a good scope as well as a rest? Are there any books or web pages I should read to learn more?
My budget is $1000 - $1500. Is this realistic?
I apologize for the somewhat basic questions. This is all new to me and I'm trying to learn as much as possible on the fly!

Look elsewhere than CZ for a competitive Rimfire Rifle. I have seen a couple of Savages that are competitive but there are plenty of them that are not. One coud buy, try, sell, buy, etc, ect, until they found one that shoots well. Triggers are a big issue. One needs the lightest trigger they can get to be competitive in Rimfire Benchrest.

Pete

Competitive sporter class rifles are where you find them. Take two identical rifles (same parts) and one of them may be a world beater while the other ain't fit for squirrel hunting. That said, you wouldn't look for strawberries on a blueberry bush and the best blueberry is in there somewhere.

The better thing to do is look for a used rifle that is or has been competitive and get started. Two reasons for that. First, you may not enjoy the sporter class (or worse, rimfire benchrest in general). I guarantee that you will not enjoy sporter class with a losing rifle. Second, which is an add on to the first, you can't see the game as it is with a poor rifle. It is ESSENTIAL that an expectation exists of your shot striking the 10 ring - EVERY TIME.

The bain of the Sporter

is the 6.5x scope restriction, IMHO. I use to rag on guys who complained about not being able to see. I did not understand as I could always keep the reticle in focus and see the contrast of black and white on the target card - - UNTIL THIS YEAR! I struggle keeping things in focus now. Try as I may, I can not keep the reticule in focus. I guess, If I think about it a bit, this situation has been creeping up on me.

To that end, I went to my eye Dr. with two of my 6X scopes to be examined and use the scopes to show him my issue. He put me through the normal tests and we found that I have 20/20 corrected vision in both eyes. What I also have are 1.5 stage cataracts, that are thicker in the center of my vision. So, after this stark bit of knowledge I came to realize why some folks say they can't see when trying to use a 6.5X scope. I apologize to everyone I have chided in the past about not being able to see. I now have a very good understanding of the problem.

Pete

Last edited:
Congratulations Pete. You got it right this time. The skinny stock is not the big handicap on the sporter. It is the scope restriction. A number of shooters have used the sporter in all three classes. Some were able to use the small scope and others used a 6.5x 20. It actually is the lowest cost option to enter all classes.

Don, Sight is tought to comprehend or explain

Congratulations Pete. You got it right this time. The skinny stock is not the big handicap on the sporter. It is the scope restriction. A number of shooters have used the sporter in all three classes. Some were able to use the small scope and others used a 6.5x 20. It actually is the lowest cost option to enter all classes.

It takes "Being There" to know It seems. It may be a lot easier to walk a mile in another man's shoes that to see things through his eyes, it seems.

One other thing to consider if you're thinking of shooting Sporter is the cost of adding for a Spotting Scope - w/stand. Because of all that's been said before, they are an absolute necessity, I don't care how good (young) your eyes are. When looking through that 6.5X scope at 50Y there is no way to tell just where your shots are landing - whether they're in or out - that is unless they're all X's.

Depending on where in CT you live why don't you plan on visiting either Wawarsing or Salem in NY, or Easthampton (about 20 miles from where 91 & 90 intersect) or Angle Tree in MA (check the IR page at the Home Page for this website, then punch up Schedules). They are all IR 50/50 ranges, which is the same as Manatee, and shoot both 3-Gun and Unlimited, usually on the same day except for Angle Tree which just shoots Unlimited. By doing so you'll be able to get the full experience of what it's all about, and all have a great group of very knowledgeable, world class shooters to answers all your questions.

Good luck.

Dave Shattuck

Back