New Seely Masker

rooster

B42F1F49-B4F4-4A5E-BD54-BD30E44668C9.jpeg989F3F83-E95D-4C22-ABA7-45967CBD1CFC.jpeg2EDB06E0-3E37-4A37-B5F5-36CBE10517EF.jpeg
Hi guys, new member picked up this Seely Masker rifle, it’s on a Remington 40x action. Want to start shooting paper. Any info on this gun any idea on value? It belonged to local bench rest champ. Bought from his grandson hop it a shooter !

View attachment 23352View attachment 23353View attachment 23354
Hi guys, new member picked up this Seely Masker rifle, it’s on a Remington 40x action. Want to start shooting paper. Any info on this gun any idea on value? It belonged to local bench rest champ. Bought from his grandson hop it a shooter !

Like most things, it's value is what someone will pay for it. While 40X actions have a following, they are, in fact, no better than a garden variety Rem 700. With a used benchrest rifle I usually add up the value of it's parts and maybe throw in something for appearance and past performance. In this case, the action is worth maybe $500 tops, the stock about $250 and if it is a jewell trigger, that's another $150. A used barrel has little value. It could be worth a grand to someone. Best value is probably to you. If it's a shooter, go out and win some matches. If you are in an area that holds UBR matches you could likely win in Modified Class.
Rick

View attachment 23352View attachment 23353View attachment 23354

I've had several of those type BR rifles pass through my hands-$750. Good for some club matches. Seely Masker built my first 2 BR rifles. They were the ones that I still need to be shooting.
He charged me $2033 for a complete rifle built on a Stolle, Hart barrel, Jewell trigger, McMillan, seater, neck gauge, and nutcracker dies. I had to buy my Leupold 36X and Kelbly rings.
Prices have changed in the few years since then. I still have the letters from Mr Masker during the build.

I've had several of those type BR rifles pass through my hands-$750. Good for some club matches. Seely Masker built my first 2 BR rifles. They were the ones that I still need to be shooting.
He charged me $2033 for a complete rifle built on a Stolle, Hart barrel, Jewell trigger, McMillan, seater, neck gauge, and nutcracker dies. I had to buy my Leupold 36X and Kelbly rings.
Prices have changed in the few years since then. I still have the letters from Mr Masker during the build.

Thanks for the info. She was built in 83' hope it is a shooter! Thinking its 1in14 twist ? Any idea on bullet wieght or recomended brand of bullets ? Would appreciate any help.
Thank You Butch !

Like most things, it's value is what someone will pay for it. While 40X actions have a following, they are, in fact, no better than a garden variety Rem 700. With a used benchrest rifle I usually add up the value of it's parts and maybe throw in something for appearance and past performance. In this case, the action is worth maybe $500 tops, the stock about $250 and if it is a jewell trigger, that's another $150. A used barrel has little value. It could be worth a grand to someone. Best value is probably to you. If it's a shooter, go out and win some matches. If you are in an area that holds UBR matches you could likely win in Modified Class.
Rick

Thanks for info Greyfox. Hope with a lot of practice i will get there!!

Thanks for the info. She was built in 83' hope it is a shooter! Thinking its 1in14 twist ? Any idea on bullet wieght or recomended brand of bullets ? Would appreciate any help.
Thank You Butch !

I'm assuming this is a 6 PPC. Most folks use a 66 or 68gr bullet, some prefer flat base, others boat tail. I shoot both and can tell little difference. To get the best out of it, you will want somebodies custom made bullet. There are quite a few that make good ones. My personal preference is Larry Moore's Hillbilly bullets. If you want his contact, get back to me. Berger's aren't bad for a mass produced bullet and I think you can get Bart's either direct from him or possibly through Sinclair/Brownells.
I like LT 32 for powder, but some folks prefer N-133. It really should shoot well for you. Enjoy it.

Rick

I'm assuming this is a 6 PPC. Most folks use a 66 or 68gr bullet, some prefer flat base, others boat tail. I shoot both and can tell little difference. To get the best out of it, you will want somebodies custom made bullet. There are quite a few that make good ones. My personal preference is Larry Moore's Hillbilly bullets. If you want his contact, get back to me. Berger's aren't bad for a mass produced bullet and I think you can get Bart's either direct from him or possibly through Sinclair/Brownells.
I like LT 32 for powder, but some folks prefer N-133. It really should shoot well for you. Enjoy it.

Rick

Thanks again gonna try some Berger bullets. If it shoots well, I would like Larry's contact info, if is not a shooter going to have new barrel screwed on her. Will pick up some LT 32. Thank you for pointing me in right direction!!!

Rooster,

I saw the "Rooster's Firearms" sign on the bench in your pictures and thought you might be Jim, aka "Rooster", owner of Rooster's Firearms, and former co-worker of mine.

Justin

Sorry , My mom lives in California got me sticker. Rooster is life long nick name. here in the cold New York!!

Sorry , My mom lives in California got me sticker. Rooster is life long nick name. here in the cold New York!!

Rooster,

Ahhh...got it. Your mom probably lives pretty close to me. Central coast Cali area, by chance?

I have to point out that your rifle has a .262 neck diameter requiring neck turned cases. If you know this already, disregard...

Seely Masker, aka "The Great Gunsmith", hailed from Getzville, New York, IIRC.

Justin

Rooster,

Ahhh...got it. Your mom probably lives pretty close to me. Central coast Cali area, by chance?

I have to point out that your rifle has a .262 neck diameter requiring neck turned cases. If you know this already, disregard...

Justin

Justin, I believe it was 54 Woodshire South.

Rooster,

Justin

Mom lives in Atascadero , CA . thanks for info can you recommend a good neck turner?

Mom lives in Atascadero , CA . thanks for info can you recommend a good neck turner?

Rooster,

Atascadero, huh? My hometown for the past 25 years. PM me your mom's name...I might know her.

As far as neck turners, I'll defer to the experts on this forum. I'd suggest starting a new thread on the "General Discussion" thread asking for advice on which neck turner to buy. There is at least 10 metric ass-tons of knowledge on this board about such things.

And if you've never messed with turned/fitted necks before, inquire if there is somebody on the board here who lives nearby who will help. I can almost guarantee somebody will offer their time and expertise. It is a helpful lot around here.

Justin

Justin, I believe it was 54 Woodshire South.

Butch,

That sounds familiar. Trying to picture the inside cover of Precision Shooting from the late 80's early 90's where it listed "The Great Gunsmith", "Bwana of Zortman", "Official Gunsmith in Suspenders", etc.

To me, that was the Golden Age of PS. I still have all those issues and once a year or so, I go back through them. Tons of good stuff.

Justin

In my opinion

there hasn't been a lot new happen since the demise of PS. Yes, new actions but nothing revolutionary. I think we have pretty much reached the top of the mountain in rifle development and being able to stay within the rules. Barrels still remain the key.

Pete

Back