New member introduction.

T

tcjones

I just joined up. My name is Tom. First off I have poor grammar and bad spelling, that's the way it is and doesn't change to fast.
If it's ok, Im going to ask some very rookie questions we all start some were. I live on an island in South East Alaska with 8500 people, lots of rain, small shooting range and zero bench rest interest.
This is going to be a quick note and in the evening I should have time to bog you down. One question I'd like to start with is, Do people buy used 6ppc and change them to 6mmbr? (I'm going to go 6mmbr)
Thanks , Tom J.

Welcome and I think you'll like it here....I know I do.

On the conversion, I assume you're talking about opening the bolt on an existing PPC for the BR? It can certainly be done, but I can't say it's common. On the barrel, I recommend not setting-back and rechambering a PPC to BR. Again, it's doable but the twist rates are often different (a lot of guys shoot heavier weights in the BR). Chambering a new blank with matched dies is the preferred route.

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

Welcome !

I'm thinking you know the differences among cartridges and have decided on the 6BR. You'll have to set the target out further for that to be a good choice accuracy wise but many do just that.

Lee is right - there's no need to buy a PPC and convert it to 6BR. Go the other direction if you want both - fairly easy that way. I had a 6BR bolt and an ejector conversion on a rail gun that I shot successfully for years and I think I was using the BR bolt deal while shooting PPC the entire time. I'll admit that, once converted, it works the same but why convert when you can simply buy a BR action in the beginning.

Again, welcome to the forum !

I've sold (pretty cheap!) a couple of 6 PPC barrels to friends that wanted to set them back and make 6 BR varmint barrels. Seemed to meet their needs.

As mentioned, most folks want to shoot longer/heavier bullets in the 6 BR. That requires a faster twist rate (1:10 for the mids, 1:8 for the long/heavies) than is usual (1:13.5 or 1:14) for the mid-60 grainers that we shoot in a 6 PPC.

There is a plethora of good 6 PPC Light Varmint rifles for sale. Some already have a combination bolt face. Some can be successfully opened from PPC to BR size. If you are a bit of a glutton for punishment, you also have the option of rebating the rims on the BR cases.

Is there some concern about the PPC? Don't want to do brass prep? Don't like turning necks? I ask because there are answers for those issues that'll keep you in a 6 PPC and in the sweet spot for those used rifles.

Last edited:
"I just joined up. My name is Tom. First off I have poor grammar and bad spelling, that's the way it is and doesn't change to fast."

Where shall we start?

I just joined is better.Don't use more words than are necessary.
bad spelling spell poorly is better.
to fast that should be too fast.

Oh yeah, gun questions:

Lee is correct in regards to the boltface and the barrel. One can expect the barrel to have been used to an unknown extent. One can expect to change barrels shortly after the purchase. Unless you are allowed to shoot the rifle before putting your money on the line, you have no way of knowing how well the rifle shoots for you.

Welcome to this board.

No more grammar sermons other than this example of what has to be the best example of the need for grammar and punctuation.
This was once posted on this website.

BJ Kelch of Wisconsin
Are there any ranges in North Florida or South Georgia where I can practice shooting my wife and God knows I need the practice.

I met Mr. and Mrs. Kelch later that year at Dublin, Georgia. They were still in good health. She was very much alive.
He was never convicted of not using a period when needed, such as after "shooting".......
Thanks guys, good start, and by all means sermons are good. The reason I asked about the 6ppc (used) to 6br was I had read it on a web site called 6BR that had a list called the list with a load of used br and varmint rifles for sale.
It's really hard for me to find a starting point on what I will in time get from you guys, any and all please join in.
One thing , some body give a quick hint on how to post with out a quote connected. Any way, I'm interested in upping the grade of my shooting not only as a sport but maybe a small gain in hide money in the winter.
I'm still scratching here on were to start. A little more back ground might help. I can go to the range about 7 miles away on a wednesday and be by myself for 4 hours. Most people here reload for our 6 month deer season , play at the range with out of the box rifles with 3x9 leupolds and call it good. Well one day a few years back I bought a Ruger 243 m77v ,old model. A short while later I purchased a Leupold VXIII 8.5x25 and some thing snapped. It didn't take long for the want of more magnifcation and after that was addressed the old Ruger m77 just doesn't make me smile . After reading about 6 months worth of forums and such and still not a soul in town to talk to about this bug in me, I'm here to spill my guts.
Even though I have reloaded for half my life I have never met any one that reloads for competition. That's how isolated we can be. The town I live in is Sitka, no roads in.
Ok, the neck turning is all new to me and I don't know enough about the weight and style of the bullet of 6ppc to judge it a duel purpose cartridge that may end up on a rocky beach as a varmint rifle .
I've pretty much talked myself into a 6br so I'll start here. I like the look and style of the heavy varmint(never touched one) but I was thinking on a pillar job instead of glue in. I have nothing to base this on other than my worry of thee stock taking some bumps on a boat ride in 30 degree weather.
It's a long way around to ask two questions but it's a start.
Thanks,Tom

Hearing what you plan on doing with this rifle you should get one built to your specs. A used BR gun is way too fragile to be in that environment short of staying in a sealed fitted pelican case. Our scopes, triggers, close tolerance actions are all better fitted to on the bench only conditions. A finely built varmint rifle in 6br will be the king of your area for sure. Then a nice used ppc would be nice to show off with at the bench

As I set here eating some nice microwaved Sitka Sea Bass (Secret Recipe from the Channel Club) I say WELCOME!!! from down in WA

Having been in your position, having spent 6 times as much money as I should have in my Accuracy Oddysey, I will recommend a 6BR, .271nk 8" twist built by someone who does this for real. Someone from down here in the lower 48. You could shoot one a' them flamingos out of the tree from the deck of the fast ferry....A good 6BR is scary accurate and fun. I will not deny that a 6PPC, built right, is MORE accurate but the difference is literally a tenth of an inch.

You gonna' have you some fun!

Let me know if you find something.... I have friends flying into town off and on all summer. Might be cheaper to pay 25.00 checked luggage than ferry freight! :)

I coulda' broughtcha' one last week LOL

al

Ah. Thank you for the explanation.

The 6 BR is an excellent choice.

I think that, as others suggested, a well-built custom varmint rifle is the way that you want to go. Tolerances and scopes were mentioned. Another thing that I'd say is that the 3" wide, flat forearm on our rifles would be awkward. So, a varmint fore arm but get a "bag rider" or "accurracy asset" for your fore arm to ride the bags better when you do shoot off a bench and a benchrest-style front rest.

Barrel profile....barrel profile....Hmmm. The HV profile might be pretty awkward for a varmint rifle that you are going to tote around. You might want something lighter. But, you know what you do better than I do.

Twist depends on the length of the bullet that you're shooting. Generally longer bullets for longer range. I'm skipping over and waving my hands at some of the details here. Trying to not get too confusing. Just providing information to spark your research. That's part of the fun.

You really, really want to use Lapua brass. It's the standard.

With the new, blue box Lapua brass, the .271 neck that Al mentions is a no-turn neck. So, no brass prep. One thing that I would suggest, however, is running the new brass over a 6mm mandrel before running through your Full Length (FL) die before the first loading. This because the Lapua brass comes with WAY too much neck tension.

A Redding Type S FL Bushing die and a seater of your choice would be my suggestion for dies.

I'm shooting the old Gold Box, so please check up on me here, but I think that with blue box your loaded rounds will measure .267 to .269. So, I'd get three neck bushings: 267, 266 and 265. That'll cover the whole range with a *nominal* 2 thou of neck tension.

Varget is the go-to powder. There are others, but Varget keeps you with the widely available info.

If you decide on the long/heavy bullets, I'd go with CCI 450 or Tula Small Rifle Magnum (SRM) primers. Not always strictly required, but heads off primer piercing.

This because the way things work out, it sometimes requires you have to load pretty warm to get up into the good tune window. Might be different if you go with a longer and/or skinnier barrel than the HV profile that you mentioned. Again, don't want to spoil your fun.

I'll shut up now and let you continue research.

As I set here eating some nice microwaved Sitka Sea Bass (Secret Recipe from the Channel Club) I say WELCOME!!! from down in WA

Having been in your position, having spent 6 times as much money as I should have in my Accuracy Oddysey, I will recommend a 6BR, .271nk 8" twist built by someone who does this for real. Someone from down here in the lower 48. You could shoot one a' them flamingos out of the tree from the deck of the fast ferry....A good 6BR is scary accurate and fun. I will not deny that a 6PPC, built right, is MORE accurate but the difference is literally a tenth of an inch.

You gonna' have you some fun!

Let me know if you find something.... I have friends flying into town off and on all summer. Might be cheaper to pay 25.00 checked luggage than ferry freight! :)

I coulda' broughtcha' one last week LOL

al
Well Al, you have see some of what I'm dealing with. Glad you made it to Sitka and hope the sun was out.
The choice is down to 6br, that's one hurdle. Any one have some input as to a stock design that I could use at the range with front rest and rear bag for test loads and make me feel like I'm a benchrest shooter club of one(and hopefully spark interest in buddies) but also do fair off sand bags off range? I'm not to worried about weight but I don't want wood, not with our 8 feet of rain. Pillar or glue in?
Tom

A friend of mine makes an action that might interest you. It will drop into any stock made for a Remington, takes Remington triggers, has a built in recoil lug that is positioned so that it fits like a stock Remington would, and the threads are small shank Savage. Bolt heads are interchangeable like a Savage, but his own make. His actions are available in short or long, magazine or single shot, and are well machined out of hardened stock. There are a couple of other options on port shape and tang thickness. The bolt release is above the stock line. They are not inexpensive, but for what you want to do, the design has several features to recommend it. You can change bolt heads, and any drop in barrel that is threaded and chambered for a small shank Savage can be installed by the owner, with a minimum of tools. I have fitted mine with a Jewel HVR trigger, and have a couple of bolt heads, a flat faced .308 size, that I use with a McGowan 6.5x47 barrel (installed with barrel nut) and a coned head for PPCs that I use in conjunction with a smith installed (without nut) 6PPC barrel. They both give good accounts of themselves. Currently I am using an old 40X prone stock that has pillars, but I plan to buy a new stock in the near future. Since I shoot left handed, my current action is a left bolt, right port, the .308 bolt head has an ejector, the PPC does not. With this action, I can fit barrels in virtually any caliber that I might be interested in, using drop in barrels from a variety of manufacturers, using a low torque barrel vise, barrel nut wrench, and a GO gauge. The name of the action is Bighorn, and they are made in Colorado by AJ Goddard. I suggest that you do a google search for Bighorn Arms. Of course this is only one of many options that would get you where you want to go. For your varminting, what distances do you typically shoot at? This could make some difference in your bullet weight selection, chamber design and rifling twist. For instance, the 6BR has seen a lot of use with light bullets, and slow twists, for varmints, and for longer distances with heavier bullets, in faster (1-8) twists, with longer throats.

how to post

A friend of mine makes an action that might interest you. It will drop into any stock made for a Remington, takes Remington triggers, has a built in recoil lug that is positioned so that it fits like a stock Remington would, and the threads are small shank Savage. Bolt heads are interchangeable like a Savage, but his own make. His actions are available in short or long, magazine or single shot, and are well machined out of hardened stock. There are a couple of other options on port shape and tang thickness. The bolt release is above the stock line. They are not inexpensive, but for what you want to do, the design has several features to recommend it. You can change bolt heads, and any drop in barrel that is threaded and chambered for a small shank Savage can be installed by the owner, with a minimum of tools. I have fitted mine with a Jewel HVR trigger, and have a couple of bolt heads, a flat faced .308 size, that I use with a McGowan 6.5x47 barrel (installed with barrel nut) and a coned head for PPCs that I use in conjunction with a smith installed (without nut) 6PPC barrel. They both give good accounts of themselves. Currently I am using an old 40X prone stock that has pillars, but I plan to buy a new stock in the near future. Since I shoot left handed, my current action is a left bolt, right port, the .308 bolt head has an ejector, the PPC does not. With this action, I can fit barrels in virtually any caliber that I might be interested in, using drop in barrels from a variety of manufacturers, using a low torque barrel vise, barrel nut wrench, and a GO gauge. The name of the action is Bighorn, and they are made in Colorado by AJ Goddard. I suggest that you do a google search for Bighorn Arms. Of course this is only one of many options that would get you where you want to go. For your varminting, what distances do you typically shoot at? This could make some difference in your bullet weight selection, chamber design and rifling twist. For instance, the 6BR has seen a lot of use with light bullets, and slow twists, for varmints, and for longer distances with heavier bullets, in faster (1-8) twists, with longer throats.
Thanks, I don't have but a couple minutes, only 56 and still have to make a showing at work. With what you said I'll do my home work. On another note, If this thread fall out of line with the spiret (sp) of this forum, any feel free to let me know. One way ore the other I will have a rifle before winter falls. You guys are are going to help, you already have. This brings up even more questions, How long of a turn around (all mail order) and will a budget of 3500 with scope already purchased be in line or not?
We'll get there if if you guys have the time. I have this dream and as a member has seen in this town, not many to share with.
Tom- PS how do I reply , never mind, just figured it out, I didn't How to reply with out a quote?

Last edited by a moderator:
3500 is easy doable.

turnaround depends on the 'smith

were I you I'd get a used one from the classified's right here or over on 6MMBR.com, also check with some of the big builders like Borden's Accuracy or Kelbly's.... and never neglect to check 'The List' over at Shooter's Corner as Bob is Olde Schoole Righteously Honest and you will get what you pay for. (Same w/Borden or Kelbly but less selection.)

'The List' http://www.theshooterscorner.com/

And there are others....

I'm still here and wanted to thank you guys. I've received some good PMs from a few fellows that have pushed me in even further on internet time. So much to learn.
Over the past week I have changed my ways of thinking of the purpose of the rifle. Even though our shooting range is a 25 yard, 100 yard and 200 yard I am going to stick with 6br with hopes of at least trying a long range shooting day on a beach, maybe sockeye season when we camp for 3 or 4 days. For the most use the rifle will be therapy at the range.
I'm kind of stuck on the idea of a BAT pillar bedded action and bullets of around 80 to 105? range, That as far as I've gotten so far. Do I need 2 barrel? I don't know.
One of these days I'm going to brag to you guys about my cool new rifle , with pictures.
Thanks and it's a pleasure reading here. Regards, Tom

one good thing about a bat is you can call any good gunsmith and they can send you a barrel ready to go without you sending the gun to them. that way you can have a few different calibers for different moods.

one good thing about a bat is you can call any good gunsmith and they can send you a barrel ready to go without you sending the gun to them. that way you can have a few different calibers for different moods.

I will opine that this is true of a lot of custom actions......Kelbly, Borden, Stiller to name a few I've actually done this with

In fact possibly LESS true of BAT's if we include the older ones, altho 99% of the time, true.

al

I will opine that this is true of a lot of custom actions......Kelbly, Borden, Stiller to name a few I've actually done this with

In fact possibly LESS true of BAT's if we include the older ones, altho 99% of the time, true.

al
I'm listening to both. What I will be interested in is a couple different twist rates more so than caliber change. While I'm here, I have some bad stupid questions that need answered.
All the componets are new to me and for the most part I'll have to go one by one on asking on them. Do I start a new post or stick with this one?
Lets start with the action. Best I can choose from is the internet and read from forums and sales sites so a lot of my decision making will be odd to some at best.
Action question, I was searching the internet last night and came acrossed a magazine with an article that on member here wrote about reading the wind flags.
The magazine was called Precision Rifleman. On the front page was a stock,black color and the first in the picture. I like that style and profile.
Back to the question. Will a bat action pillar bed to a stock of this style and what brand or style is that stock? That's how much I don't know, sorry.
Thanks, Tom
The date on the magazine was March 2014.

Last edited by a moderator:
A small bat action chambered for a 6br needs to be glued in. You can pillar bed it and glue with screws too if you like

I was new to custom built/precision rifles a just a few years back. The best thing I ever did was join this site and a few others. I asked questions and actually listened to those in the "know" even when I thought it couldn't be so. I also read stuff by Tony Boyer and others. So if I didn't mention it before " a VERY BIG THANK-YOU" Gentlemen. I think I could actually compete now if I wanted to without embarrassing myself.....

Back