New gun room

K

Kim Merrill

Just completed my new workshop and put a gun room upstairs. This is the loading bench.

Attachments

• DSCN2010.jpg
    DSCN2010.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 2,364
  • DSCN2018.jpg
    DSCN2018.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 1,977
Melvin

I did all of the design and construction on the building myself. As you can see I recessed the florescent lights over the bench following the roof line. Light floods the work area with out shadows. I did the custom cabinetry too, wood work was my passion prior to shooting. They are solid red oak. The top surface is 1-1/2" of MDP coated with polyurethane. The drawers are progressive in depth form 2" to 8".

Thanks for the kind words.

nice work

Kim, i saw a fan in the first pic. i believe a word to the wise is sufficient. be careful as i found my fan was making my scales act awry. i use balance beam scales to weigh powder charges and it is so sensative that air currents in the room was moving my scale beams. ever so slightly, but when weighing in grains slight may be big. Fred

It looks like you have wall to wall carpet. (?) Looks great, but how do you get the spilled gun powder and primers cleaned out of it? :confused:

gt40

Well thought out and nicely done, Kim. You can be proud of your setup. I love seeing pics of people's loading areas. -Al

AWESOME!!!

One little thang....... I'm in agreement with GT-40

-carpet

-spilled powder

-vacuum cleaner

-can be a combustible combination :)

If you didn't already have wall-to-wall carpet I'd suggest a vinyl floor! Maybe something for others to think about.

al

It looks like you have wall to wall carpet. (?) Looks great, but how do you get the spilled gun powder and primers cleaned out of it? :confused:

gt40

Get a big plastic chair "roller mat", 48"x48", aught to do nice.........Don

Carpet

Good catch on the fan Fireball! I do have to turn it and the AC unit off when I weigh powder.

The carpet is the indoor/outdoor verity. It has a rubber backing and can be washed. The fiber is approximately 1/8" in height and wound very tight. I did drop a powder filled case on it. The good news was , the neck did not get buggered up. The bad news was the broom and dust pan was not a swift solution. Next I used duct tape and patted the area. Still not satisfied, I then took my shop-vac put water in the canister and cleaned it up.
I didn't get blowed up but I am a lot more careful with handling powder. I do think that a large office mat would be cool.

Kim,

Be careful of the big plastic office mat. I think some types can cause severe static electricity.

You're correct, Russ. :) I put a berber style carpet in my gun/loading room when I built it and used one of those plastic mats at first. I went into the room one Winter day and a blue spark snapped from my index finger to the Wilson case holder I reached for. :eek: Which just happened to be right next to where my powder measure clamps to the shelf. .....:eek::eek:

The rubber work mats with tapered edges works well. I clean up the inevitable powder spills with a small shop vac (no rotating brushes like a normal upright has).

Here's a few pictures of my work room for those interested in some ideas...two corner counters really help add work space w/o taking up a lot of room.

in1.jpg

supplycorner.jpg

gizmomaker.jpg

hunterrifle.jpg

I use tempered Masonite

Be careful of the big plastic office mat. I think some types can cause severe static electricity.

under my office chair. All of your rooms look fantastic. I too have a reloading/gun care room. It is not as organized as the ones in the pictures :(

Jeffrey Tooker

You're correct, Russ. :) I put a berber style carpet in my gun/loading room when I built it and used one of those plastic mats at first. I went into the room one Winter day and a blue spark snapped from my index finger to the Wilson case holder I reached for. :eek: Which just happened to be right next to where my powder measure clamps to the shelf. .....:eek::eek:

The rubber work mats with tapered edges works well. I clean up the inevitable powder spills with a small shop vac (no rotating brushes like a normal upright has).

Here's a few pictures of my work room for those interested in some ideas...two corner counters really help add work space w/o taking up a lot of room.

in1.jpg

supplycorner.jpg

gizmomaker.jpg

hunterrifle.jpg

Nice, Al!! I'm curious as to what you use the mini lathe for??
Thanks,
Melvin

I use the mini lathe for making all sorts of widgets, gizmos, geegaws and hoop-de-doos. :D They are truly a neat tool for a shooter...can't imagine being without one.

The pheasant is one of the biggest I've ever taken. It has 28" tailfeathers and was taken on the last day of hunting season 2005.

Don't let the neatness in the pics fool 'ya. When I'm in the middle of a project, it sometimes looks like a bomb went off in there! -Al

Al

What's the name of that cute little yellow "instrument"? How strong is it - meaning what kind of work is it capable of doing?

Nice looking room by the way!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back