New Berger BR Bullet

So they're based on balance and not weight. How do you determine the balance point for each lot? How do we know that the next lot will shoot similarly to the last lot?

Grouper, I used to think the same as I made my own bullets with this core balance idelogy.... Every lot of jackets has a unique thickness at it's specific taper... The lead line is kept in a very specific level or percentage of length of jacket to maintain the balance.

Have found EVERY lott of J4 jacket I've used to make my bullets (going for the "balanced" approach) to produce EXCEPTIONAL results throughout the "weight range", which is typically no more than a grain of weight... Mostly within .5gr for various lots of modern jackets ...

Again, ALL the bullets are ON weight in their specific LOT..

Have shot diff lots in groups with as much as .8 gr diff in weight.... DOT.

My guess, but I would believe Eric and crew will have a WHOLE WIDE range of core seat punches to keep the weight variance between lots to a minimum... My weight range guess, within .5gr....

cale

cale. I have been thinking the same.......
Just a new guy. But, thinking about it while making bullets. It's an epiphany. Makes total sense. And should make Berger lots of dollars. And lots of small holes.......:)

I was looking at the Equiptment list from the Cactus shoot and it has Lou Murdica as shooting the new Berger BR bullet and the weight is listed as 64.8 gr.
This bullet that I received from Berger is 64.2 gr.
Are these new bullets coming out at different weights ?
Maybe Eric or Lou can clear this up for me.
Tom

Tom, please read the posts by Eric Stecker. The bullets that you bought have the same column height as the ones Lou shot. The weights are allowed to vary in order to get that column height. The weight varies from lot to lot because of different jackets and lead cores. Hope this helps, Good shooting...James

I filled out the equipment list for the cactus and the florida shoot before I knew the name of the bullet. I was shooting what was left over from the test I did, But for now on I'll just write column . Your weight is the same as mine that I just got from berger.

Thanks to all,I will be going to the range tomorrow to see how I do with this new bullet.
Tom

Mothball10x, it has been about a week since you were going to the range to test the Column bullet.
Any comments yet? Seating depth Jam or Jump?
Centerfire

Mothball10x, it has been about a week since you were going to the range to test the Column bullet.
Any comments yet? Seating depth Jam or Jump?
Centerfire

Centerfire, I am still in the process of testing these bullets and have not had the range time needed to really give my opinion on what I think of them.
I will post a thread on what I found out about them and how they shot for me.
Tom

Great Tom, look forward to it.
Centerfire

Erickson is going to test them tomorrow as well. It's supposed to be a bit breezy at our range so it will be interesting to see how they do. But I fear that the more pages that get added to this thread, the longer it'll take to get any of these bullets!

Just picked up my test batch from our local gunshop in town. Thankfully they were able to make it in with his BIG Berger order he had placed. Hopefully the weather is a bit decent to give them a shot or 2.........

Calvin educate me a little.
Manitoba, benchrest....COLD
Do you have your own shooting tunnel in the winter, made from snow that is? :confused:
In the spring do you have to punch holes in the snow drifts to make it to the 100 yd line........;)

Thanks for the chuckle Vern.

Unfortunately this past winter there was NO tunnel for shooting during the winter. We had next to NO snow. It has been gone for a few weeks now. Fishing season usually closes March 31 and reopens May 12. This is due to the ice going out and I think to be fair to the breeding stock. Will this year they were advising for about the last 2 weeks to stay off of the ice. This year the lakes I bet will be open in a few weeks at the rate things are going. About 3-4 weeks earlier than the norm.

All in all the MILDEST winter I can remember.

On another note in regards to BR, our season is short for it. We shoot matches here in May-August. After that it is pretty hard to close the ranges down for the weekends for a match because the hunters want to get there rifles sighted in for the upcoming season. Personally I could care less about the hunters I want to shoot BR. May can still be unpredictable in the weather department. We seem to always get one of them spring snow storms. So you are right. BR up here is NOT the norm but for the few of us that shoot it, WE LOVE THE GAME.

There is a tendancy lately for more of the Canucks to start there season off at the Cactus in the desert. I have not shot there yet but I guess I will find out in October. Knowing the terrain and vegetation I would rather shoot the eastern side as there are trees and grass. It may blow but it does not blow sand around.

Lou sent the files to me, and I uploaded them to my photobucket account. Here they are.
grizzly1.jpg

grizzly2.jpg

grizzly3.jpg

Veddy interesting the group shapes VS sonic plot. When we used the 43 setup we set the sonic target at 100 and the paper at 300 and groups looked more like the plots.

Man, I gotta' get set up again

al

Back