New (1965)model winchester m70 heavy barrel target still in box

Let me see

if there is any info on checkering on target models, post 64 in Rule's book. Recollection is they were not checkered as has been mentioned.

m70 featherweight

I just bought a model 70 featherweight in .308. Why? Because Im a glutton for punishment I guess. Its one of those parts made somewhere and put together somewhere else. Tried everything from 125s to 175s. Nothing shoots under 2 ins. Its a 1 in 12. I read somewhere where the marine snipers shoot 175 smk in their 1 in 12s. My 1 in 12 shot them about 5 or 6 ins. but I don't have a marine gunsmith putting it together either but I thought I might get hunting accuracy. So far I aint too impressed with the new model 70. My old pre 64s do a hell of a lot better than that. Doug

have you tried

I just bought a model 70 featherweight in .308. Why? Because Im a glutton for punishment I guess. Its one of those parts made somewhere and put together somewhere else. Tried everything from 125s to 175s. Nothing shoots under 2 ins. Its a 1 in 12. I read somewhere where the marine snipers shoot 175 smk in their 1 in 12s. My 1 in 12 shot them about 5 or 6 ins. but I don't have a marine gunsmith putting it together either but I thought I might get hunting accuracy. So far I aint too impressed with the new model 70. My old pre 64s do a hell of a lot better than that. Doug

re-torquing the action screws? Factory or hand loaded ammo? Parts made in Portugal and assembled in the US. Are your scope bases tight and rings properly torqued to the scope? Have you tried a different scope?

Last edited:
model 70

Yea, I went thru the drill and couldn't find anything out of whack. Im gonna try indexing the cartridges when I seat the bullet and when I chamber a round. It might be my seating die. That would be an easy fix. May need an inline seater. Doug

That's

Yea, I went thru the drill and couldn't find anything out of whack. Im gonna try indexing the cartridges when I seat the bullet and when I chamber a round. It might be my seating die. That would be an easy fix. May need an inline seater. Doug

possible. do you have anyway of measuring seated bullet runout? Something is amiss imo if all you can do is 2" on target at 100 yds. My guess is bedding issues or a bum barrel, but the barrel would be my last guess.

mdel 70

Well, I did my experiment and if I seat the bullets in the cases turned the same way and put em in the action the same place every time. By marking the head stamp. It shot under an in. I think my seating die needs replaced. Shot a snoot full of vvn 133 that didn't hurt anything either. Ill quit bad mouthin new model 70s. Not bad for a hunting rifle. thanks, Doug

seater

Ive got l.e. Wilson for 6ppc and 3006 there so danged slow, Im pretty much one handed, I ve got some forester I get along with better. Still gotta worry about the shellholder though. Doug

yes a wilson

Ive got l.e. Wilson for 6ppc and 3006 there so danged slow, Im pretty much one handed, I ve got some forester I get along with better. Still gotta worry about the shellholder though. Doug

needs two hands. Forster or Redding inlines are great too. Good luck with what you have.

Can't beat Forster dies

I have two Forster Micrometer seating dies I have used for years. Great dies and accurate. Dial .001" and that's what ya get. They use to sell cylinders and stems for different calibers so that one die would do ya but don't know if they still do. Because I pre-load for matches, I wanted something I could use that wwas faster than hand dies and I never had accuracy with Wilson dies.

One of the problems with almost all seating dies is the seating stem. Most of them touch the bullet in the wrong place thus giving varying overall lengths where the bullets will engage the lands. Die makers know this but do nothing about it.

Pete

Back