Need Info on 8208 Lot # 18166

jackie schmidt

As a few of you might know, I ran out of '03 133 last fall, and have been trying to make the best of '07.

I have spent a lot of time trying to figure this stuff out, and I have about had it. It seems it has a tune window so darned narrow that the crap can go away half way through a group. I have never had 133 act this sensitive, (abiet, the ones I have been successful with were '98 and '03).

I got spoiled on the '03, I hardly ever changed anything for over 4 years, just found a load that my combination liked, and kept the Rifle in fine tune with the tuner.

I have 40 pounds of the 18166 8208. I know very little about this stuff, but I am at the point where I might as well crack open a bottle.

Any ideas??.. Slow, fast, in-between?? Jam, no jam?? Take up bowling, go fishing??

It's hard to drive in the fast lane when your hot rod has a plug wire off:D.......jackie

Jackie,

Joe Krupa has 18166. This is what he chrono'd with his rail gun. Do a search and it will come up. Hopefully Joe will chime in.

Lot # 18166 29.4 grs. 3,322 fps .320 group

Joe stated in the post that this was the powder he shot back to back .16xx aggs with.

Hovis

Jackie,

I'd do what Sam Snead told an amatuer who he once played with in a pro-am event to do:

I'd take two weeks off and then quit.

Seriously, call me when you get a chance. I have been shooting that lot for a year or so and I probably got it from the same source you did.

Joe

29.0 grains plus or minus three tenths depending on barrel and reamer, moderate neck tension, moderate to heavy jam in most barrels (although I have had a couple of Harts that liked up to .015 jump). Worked well for a pretty wide range of conditions. This was with 68 grain Bart's Ultras. Barrels were Krieger, Hart, Shilen, MacLennan sp?, Broughton, and Pence.

Accuracy was similar to lot #18167.

Drop me an email for more specifics on how much neck tension and jam if you would like, although I would never claim to know a fraction of what Joe Krupa knows.

Jim

Come on

Jackie you can't give up on it. There is a lot of people who enjoy reading how you have been able to make 133 work and your tuning nodes.

You have me wanting to get rid of my 07 133 now.....:confused:

The only thing that makes me think it is good stuff is Krupa mentioning that he thinks it works in cooler temps. What is more cooler than shooting up here in Canada?

Calvin

Jackie, I know you don't want to hear this, but a number of powders have a wider tune area in the "moderate" or "lower" window -- where "moderate" is still in the 60,000+ psi region . . .

Maybe the new lot of 133 is one of those. If you have a lot of it, it's worth a try.

Now Jackie is saying the bad words about 133:eek:
I never had any '03, and maybe that's why I have always had trouble with the stuff.

Chas., Jackie doesn't know what the lower load windows are about. He loads until the bolt doesn't open and then backs off .2grain.

Butch

Butch

now I see the reason for us non gunsmith types to have a vice and a wrench.

Load it till the bolt does not open, remove barrel to clear case, reinstall barrel, then back down slightly in powder charge.:eek:

Can't wait till my vise and action wrench get in.......;)

Calvin

Clavin, just make sure you order a strap wrench. If all you get is an action wrench, you won't be able to use it, because you can't get the bolt out.

Was just

Clavin, just make sure you order a strap wrench. If all you get is an action wrench, you won't be able to use it, because you can't get the bolt out.

trying to be funny but you have a point there that I never thought about. I don't plan on geting into that situation where it happens but ANYTHING is posible.

When you say strap wrench can you lead me in the right direction for one?

Calvin

Jackie, I guess

I should sell you the last 40 lbs or so that I have of it, but I am loading up some blasting ammo in 223 to test some new full auto lowers and can't find anything else. ;)

Pat

yes they are. Sorry I didnt email you back. After 3 hours of screwing with my computer and being on hold for an hour with verizon I gave up. Wade from Shilen called me, told me to reboot the router and it works fine. Take a look at them on the website. They are pretty sweet.

I should sell you the last 40 lbs or so that I have of it, but I am loading up some blasting ammo in 223 to test some new full auto lowers and can't find anything else. ;)
trade......8208 is great in 223...( how i finally got sub .2)

and i'm sure jaclie would like your 133....

( if that is what you said)

mike

Burn It

Jackie

That lot of 8208 is not very good---send it up here and I will burn it for you :)

Seriously--just about any lot of 8208 can be made to shoot.

Jim

Back