Need a better bag for my Fudd Tops

I

inspireart

Getting ready for the coming season. One weak area that needs to get ironed out before competition starts is the bags on my rests. The Fudd supplied bags are too hard and allow my guns to bounce. I believe there has to be a better bag for the Fudd's.

fudd-bag.jpg

two-fudd-tops.jpg

What are you'all using?

My very effective Long-Range set-up.

Steve3.jpg

Thanks,

Bruce

Last edited by a moderator:
Why not use the same bag you have on the other rest, velcro makes it easy to change out.

Make your own Bags - 'Tubes'.
The best material that I have found is old blue jeans.
All you need is a sewing machine, some sand & a hot glue gun.
Make a test one first to check the size you need.
Cut a strip of material about 8" x 2.5" with the grain.(if that makes sense)
Fold it in 1/2 long ways and run a double seam down the long side. Trim off excess material. Now flatten the tube with the side stitching down and run a double stitch across one end.
Turn inside out
Fill with sand - do not pack. At this point I just hold the fill end closed while I check for size and softness.
In general my tubes are oval shaped aprox 3/4" wide and 1/2" deep and soft.
Once I think I have it right I check it for fit in my Fudd Top then cut to length and sew the open end shut.
You will have to file the side pieces of the top a little so the added width of your new bags will fit.
Fudd tops have a cavity under the bag which I pretty much fill with hot glue. When I have everything just right my bottom bag will conform to my sporter or my heavy gun by just running back and forth a few times so the sand settles to the different shapes.
The side bags are a little harder to make & attach but follow the same principle.
Side Hint.
Drill a couple of holes under where the bag goes so when you use the hot glue it goes into the holes to help hold the bag in place.
After a few hours work & experimenting you will end up with a better setup than you can buy anywhere!

Thanks Doug,

I am having a friend making higher sides anyway for one my Fudd tops. My friend Glen Hachey made his sides taller and also did just what you did. His wife made his bags and out came the glue gun. I know James Pappas was offering some bags for the Fudd top option on his rests.

Regards,

Bruce

Bruce,
You do not need Higher sides. In general that can only induce further problems.
Have the side bags only touch the bottom 1/4 to 1/2" depending on your stock contour, Any more only hurts & does not help a good setup.
Make sense?

Take the bags you already have slice the end open take out as much sand as you want then super glue or sew them back together.
Pete

I seem to remember that "Fiddler" used to make "deerhide" bags for the Fudd top. You might send him a PM.

Best,
Michael

Not a bad idea. Also what is the easiest way to unglue the current bags?

Regards, Bruce

If a bag
is filled too tight or packed too tight it will induce a bounce for you gun in recoil. Filled correctly it should absorb the tendency of the gun to bounce. This is an area that when I fill a new bag, I test after I fill. You can always add or remove sand as needed. For bags that are filled and sealed they can't be packed tight when made or you will have this problem. The bags that I make are not filled to the max, although after using them for a while you need to fluff them a little to loosen the sand.

Not a bad idea. Also what is the easiest way to unglue the current bags?

Bruce,
Mine were held on with a clear caulking sealant, so I used a solvent such as lighter fluid, lifting and pulling a little at a time. I went slowly so I could resuse the bags if I chose to. Once the bags are off, give the top a good final cleaning, dry and apply the new bags.

Michael

Chris
Whenever you feel a need to! Just keep an eye on the bag and when it seems to be getting packed down tight, then do it. Afterwards set the gun in the bag and work it back and forth to level and shape it.

So then, tell me this - - -

How do we account for the one piece rests usine Delrin fore and aft? I realize that some use bags but only to preserve paint.

Fiddler, what do you get for deer hide bags to fit the Cowan rest ?

Thanks
Semper fi

ps: your pm is full and will not take any new messages.

Fiddler, what do you get for deer hide bags to fit the Cowan rest ?

Thanks
Semper fi

ps: your pm is full and will not take any new messages.

I am interested in Fiddler's bags also same result. Full PM box. Thanks guys. Also thanks for the lighter fluid tip.

Bruce,
Mine were held on with a clear caulking sealant, so I used a solvent such as lighter fluid, lifting and pulling a little at a time. I went slowly so I could resuse the bags if I chose to. Once the bags are off, give the top a good final cleaning, dry and apply the new bags.

Michael

Thank you for this info! :) Bruce

My rest has developed a hole in the bottom bag. I have tried for months to buy a replacement from mountain specilities with NO REPLY! I would like to buy a set of bags from Fiddler also.
Thank you for this info! :) Bruce

I've deleted all my messages, try again to send me somehting. $5.00 for the small side bags and $10.00 for the longer skinny center bags.

Back