neck turning cases

That is correct. Once you unchuck the mandrel, it is virtually impossible to retrue it close enough for this type of work, where you are dealing in .0001 dimensions.

I'm not saying you can't, but it's no big deal to just turn a fresh one each time you set the lathe up to do the operation.

In my first post in this thread, that little known is to a YouTube video of me doing necks on our EE.

I make the mandrel out of a grade 8 bolt Then just toss it in the scrap!

Interesting replies gents.......

My concern was that, in the past, when I axially "fixed" the rotating case head........while turning the neck...........any case wobble would transfer to the neck area. The end result would be wildly varying neck thickness T.I.R.'s........depending on how much of a "banana" the case exhibited.

Being sure one end of the operation axially "floats"......eliminated the induced flex situation.

As a result, I trashed my old Forster Outside Neck Turning Attachments for my Forster Case Trimmer.

Kevin

Last edited:
30br neck turning

This is a video I did a few years back. Like someone else said, there are several different ways of doing it. This is just mine. I have changed my process slightly since making this including using SSM to tumble the cases since it only take 45 mins to clean and polish the brass.

Last edited:
Back