My Ole 220

Pete Wass

It's been quite a few years since I messed much with CF rifles but have finally got my 220 Beggs running. Had to turn necks, which I was hoping not having to do but I did get 55 of them done. I don't have much for .22 neck turning stuff but found my old Marquart and a stem from a .222 die set to expand the necks.

So, now for load testing and accuracy finding. The barrel is on an old 700 HBR rifle so it isn't the slickest tool in the shop. I have a bunch of errands today so don't know when I will get to shooting it. Of the recommended powders I have read about, I have only H4198. I also have Re-7, which I have used over the years in lieu of H4198, liking it better most of the time, nearly identical loads in the 30 BR, I have used.

So, here we go. I will use a published load and work with seating depth, the way I have gone at things for years. I'll get back.

This one is for fun. I am quite sure it won't compete with 30 BR's in HBR shooting.

Pete

I think the Hills

Oh sure, you say it won't compete but we know you better than that.
You'll soon be declaring war on the Hills Brothers.
Film at eleven.
Good luck, Pete.

have graduated to 30's but couldn't swear to it. Hey, if it's a laser, I'll give it a go.

P

220 Beggs

My 220 Beggs would shoot just about any reasonable load pretty well.

My best results were with Benchmark and 52 gr bullets. The LT powders weren't
around in those days but some Beggs shooters think they're hard to beat.

Gene made things more simple with the matching dies and reamer.

The 220 Beggs is right in there with the 222 in the "easy to make shoot" world.

A. Weldy

It's been quite a few years since I messed much with CF rifles but have finally got my 220 Beggs running. Had to turn necks, which I was hoping not having to do but I did get 55 of them done. I don't have much for .22 neck turning stuff but found my old Marquart and a stem from a .222 die set to expand the necks. So, now for load testing and accuracy finding. The barrel is on an old 700 HBR rifle so it isn't the slickest tool in the shop. I have a bunch of errands today so don't know when I will get to shooting it. Of the recommended powders I have read about, I have only H4198. I also have Re-7, which I have used over the years in lieu of H4198, liking it better most of the time, nearly identical loads in the 30 BR, I have used. So, here we go. I will use a published load and work with seating depth, the way I have gone at things for years. I'll get back. This one is for fun. I am quite sure it won't compete with 30 BR's in HBR shooting. Pete
RE-7 should work well, Pete - worked well in my .222s & .222&1/2s - the .220Beggs should be somewhere near .222&1/2. Keep 'em ON the X! RG

Hey R.G.

RE-7 should work well, Pete - worked well in my .222s & .222&1/2s - the .220Beggs should be somewhere near .222&1/2. Keep 'em ON the X! RG

It's been awhile. I got to tell ya, I think the Re-7 has been an overlooked, great powder for a long time. I've had great results with it over the years. Perhaps it's just too "common"???, obscure???. It seems to work pretty well in lots of stuff, a la the 4198. Having pretty much been against the grain most of my life, I love finding there gems.

Pete

Last edited:
In Retrospect,

I wish now IBS had limited VH to 6MM or less back when it was presented at one of the Winter Meetings. It would provide something more unique to do. Perhaps LV should be likewise. It is how UBR came to be, after all :)

Shooting for perfection should be difficult. I'd be all over it now.

Pete

Last edited:
It's like living anywhere,

Pete, I haven't known you all that long, 15-20 years?, but I've always looked to you for alternative opinions. There's nothing wrong with that. After all, at one time it was thought that the sun revolved around earth. And Randy, with my experience with doctors I'm not so sure if it's the mess or the lack thereof.

10-20 years just ain't long enough to say ya know someone, like unless you are born in a place, you are an outsider, FOREVER.

Spent about 5 days in the hospital last week believing the END was near. It ain't, not yet anyway. An earnest young lady Dr told me I was in fact having a heart attack. She and the well meaning Cardiologist she was shilling for were bof wrong. The worst part of the whole thing, and at least that Dr didn't lie when he said it was the worst part of the whole thing was the coli gen plug he rammed into my femoral artery OUCH X many times! Well, they at least got to use every machine known to man or beast but my back is sure suffering from 4 nites on them dern Gurneys they have now in lieu of beds!

Pete

I am in the loving arms

There is no enjoyable parts to being doctored upon.
And then the bill comes. In my case it isn't as bad as it is for some what with VA and Medicare and Aetna.

of the VA , Medicare and a pretty good Med Sup I bought offa the American Legion, Transamerica.
I never see a bill. Blessed be those who never go to doctors.

Pete

This one is for fun. I am quite sure it won't compete with 30 BR's in HBR shooting.

Back