Muzzle brakes!

"How much" can vary from almost nope to full catastrophe, depending on many factors such as additional weight at the muzzle, primary wave handling, perfection of alignement on barrel axis.

I did met a clamshell type brake that made a good gun group from 5" to 50" at 660 yd. That 300WM gun was fitted with a heavy contour barrel.

I remember brake adjustment cessions on Fr-F1 sniper guns which turned to nightmare.

Beware about brake / flash hider.

I made a brake for a vz58 (ROBC type) and have the issued one on a ak74 (actually a Polish Tantal). Both works well but both guns are intended for ipsc, not BR.

At the time I was shooting long range, as I was no warrior carrying the gun all day long, I always prefered to add weight than install a muzzle device.

I have brakes on several rifles, IME if the brake is installed correctly they don't effect accuracy at all. they will effect point of impact.
Brake on re-zero your scope.......good to go !!!
btw: don't forget ear plugs

I sure set a lot of records with them, but I kind of got away from them, but 2" groups at a 1000 is no big deal...... jim

Any more info?

I sure set a lot of records with them, but I kind of got away from them, but 2" groups at a 1000 is no big deal...... jim

Any observations on various designs? Anything special done specifically with respect to the brake or muzzle threads?

GsT

Do they affect accuracy if put on a rifle where their use could be justified? If so then by about how much normally?

Tom, IME, probably/maybe - you'll have to "re-tune" - I've had some barrels shoot better following tuner installation, but as stated, POI was different. That tells me, I probably need a different powder, or, seating depth, or combination thereof.:eek: Also, as noted above, it's gotta be "dead nutz" plum: perfect axial and radial alignment - gotta use a competent smith.

My first brake was on a .300 WSM Hunter Class Rifle (10 lb. weight limit), done by [the late] George Myer, back when we could use a brake in NBRSA Hunter Class (from about 1999-2003): Lilja 1:17" twist barrel, STD NBRSA Hunter contour, or, max 1.25" x4" shank/cylinder, with straight taper to .750" at 26" ahead of bolt-face. That barrel proved very competitive, but, for BR work, I still didn't like the 'snap' at my wrist (bad technique I'm told:eek:)- it never hit my shoulder. For last 15 years, it's been relegated to just a huntin' barrel - exceptionally precise for that work, but limited to FB bullets of 1.10" or, less, which, for a thirty Cal., means fairly light weight.;)

Once I experienced the recoil reduction, I installed brakes - mostly Harrell's - on all for the BIG BOOMER hunting rigs. IME, over the last twenty years, the cloud of dust (bi-pod from prone) is a myth/misconception - it's less than from a bare barrel. :p

My latest brake was/is a Harrels, 'tuner/brake', which, on a Bartlein #4 contour, 7mm DAKOTA, Borden TimberLine action, proved the "missing link"! I was disappointed with that BBL, until, after "giving up" on tuning it any better (5/8ths" 100yd average for measly 3-shot groups), I decided to, "live with it" for an upcoming hunt, and strapped on the MagnetoSpeed bayonet to collect velocity DATA for a drop chart: the ten-shot group was under 3/8ths"!:eek: Came home, weighed the bayonet and other parts, looked on Harrell's page, and ordered the appropriate diameter & weight tuner/brake - for that BBL, the tuner worked like magic - next range session, and a little tweaking on the weights, and it has been gold ever since! :D

Though I had tried several powders, perhaps, yet another would have provided the precision solution also, but, with the barke/tuner, & preferred powder I got a LOT of MV, with <.5MOA precision, and little perceived recoil. RG

P.S. Edited: "My last tuner", to My last BRAKE! :p

Last edited:
I have brakes on several rifles, IME if the brake is installed correctly they don't effect accuracy at all. they will effect point of impact.
Brake on re-zero your scope.......good to go !!!
btw: don't forget ear plugs

Isn't change in POI the same as a change in accuracy? If group size opens up then that's a precision problem, not accuracy.

Tom, IME, probably/maybe - you'll have to "re-tune" - I've had some barrels shoot better following tuner installation, but as stated, POI was different. That tells me, I probably need a different powder, or, seating depth, or combination thereof.:eek: Also, as noted above, it's gotta be "dead nutz" plum: perfect axial and radial alignment - gotta use a competent smith.

My first tuner was on a .300 WSM Hunter Class Rifle (10 lb. weight limit), done by [the late] George Myer, back when we could use a brake in NBRSA Hunter Class (from about 1999-2003): Lilja 1:17" twist barrel, STD NBRSA Hunter contour, or, max 1.25" x4" shank/cylinder, wit straight taper to .750" at 26" ahead of bolt-face. That barrel proved very competitive, but, for BR work, I still didn't like the 'snap' at my wrist (bad technique I'm told:eek:)- it never hit my shoulder. For last 15 years, it's been relegated to just a huntin' barrel - exceptionally precise for that work, but limited to FB bullets of 1.10" or, less, which, for a thirty Cal., means fairly light weight.;)

Once I experienced the recoil reduction, I installed brakes - mostly Harrell's - on all for the BIG BOOMER hunting rigs. IME, over the last twenty years, the cloud of dust (bi-pod from prone) is a myth/misconception - it's less that from a bare barrel. :p

My latest brake was/is a Harrels, 'tuner/brake', which, on a Bartlein #4 contour, 7mm DAKOTA, Borden TimberLine action, proved the "missing link"! I was disappointed with that BBL, until, after "giving up" on tuning it any better (5/8ths" 100yd average for measly 3-shot groups), I decided to, "live with it" for an upcoming hunt, and strapped on the MagnetoSpeed bayonet to collect velocity DATA for a drop chart: the ten-shot group was under 3/8ths"!:eek: Came home, weighed the bayonet and other parts, looked on Harrell's page, and ordered the appropriate diameter & weight tuner/brake - for that BBL, the tuner worked like magic - next range session, and a little tweaking on the weights, and i has been golded ever since! :D

Though I had tried several powders, perhaps, yet another would have provided the precision solution also, but, with the barke/tuner, & preferred powder I got a LOT of MV, with <.5MOA precision, and little perceived recoil. RG

Thanks Randy

I was asking because someone on another message board made a blanket statement that a muzzle brake affects accuracy so never having used or owned one I came here to get the expert skinny.

Tom

Do they affect accuracy if put on a rifle where their use could be justified? If so then by about how much normally?

The Russian AK 74 uses a muzzle brake with upward facing slots to control climb during automatic fire mode,

I test fired one in my former job and it's very true. Little sh*t stayed on target during sustained bursts, unlike it's predecessor, the AK 47.

* doggie *

Isn't change in POI the same as a change in accuracy? If group size opens up then that's a precision problem, not accuracy.

Apparently you don't quite understand........change in POI does not mean any accuracy is lost or the group size opens.
It means you have to re-zero your scope after a muzzle brake is installed. pretty simple really

Apparently you don't quite understand........change in POI does not mean any accuracy is lost or the group size opens.
It means you have to re-zero your scope after a muzzle brake is installed. pretty simple really

I do quite understand. When POI fails to coincide with POA then you've lost accuracy. In this case it's easily corrected however.

I Change my accuracy with a change of my four ounce barrel tuner with a repositioning of only .100 inch. Now tell me hanging a muzzle break won’t change my accuracy. I’d love to hear it. You may have to tune your load again to regain accuracy and you may be able to regain it but you will definitely be out of tune or inaccurate until that time. Convince me I’m wrong as I’ve been here for a long time. Oh wait, It’s Antelope Dundee. Just drive over to Madrid, Iowa and listen to a lesson from Randy Robinett,

Last edited:
I Change my accuracy with a change of my four ounce barrel tuner with a repositioning of only .100 inch. Now tell me hanging a muzzle break won’t change my accuracy. I’d love to hear it. You may have to tune your load again to regain accuracy and you may be able to regain it but you will definitely be out of tune or inaccurate until that time. Convince me I’m wrong as I’ve been here for a long time. Oh wait, It’s Antelope Dundee. Just drive over to Madrid, Iowa and listen to a lesson from Randy Robinett,

I made no claim about a muzzle brake changing or not changing accuracy. Someone else someplace else made the blanket statement that they do so I'm only asking from those who have experience with them if it was true or not. The majority seem to say that they shift POI. I have no interest in using one myself. When I drive over to Madrid it will be to pick up some powder.

BTW are you talking about changing group size [which would be precision] or POI?

I made no claim about a muzzle brake changing or not changing accuracy. Someone else someplace else made the blanket statement that they do so I'm only asking from those who have experience with them if it was true or not. The majority seem to say that they shift POI. I have no interest in using one myself. When I drive over to Madrid it will be to pick up some powder.

BTW are you talking about changing group size [which would be precision] or POI?

Why ask?

Back