Muzzle brake

Here's where the ballisticians first recognized an anomaly. The bullets of the day took almost two seconds to fly 1000yds and in the process were "blown over" maybe 10ft by the wind. In two seconds the wind moved the bullet 10ft. So now, if one were to climb up onto a 50ft building and drop bullets it would follow that a 10mph wind would blow the bullet over 10ft right?
Of course not. But it might very well move it the 1/300th of the distance traveled. What would that be? 3/8" or so?

Nor do bullets "plane on the wind" like an aeroplane or your hand out the car window........

Well they do, but not nearly so efficiently.

So the question at hand was, WHY does the bullet travel so far?
Because the effect of the wind has changed the direction of the original 3000fps velocity vector.

Nennstiel-Ruprecht models bullets like your hand out the car window, "the bullet flies where your thumb is pointed" but in fact bullets never follow their nose, they CAN'T, a bullet can't sideslip without overturning.
LOL. They did their homework more thoroughly than you have, and come to an accurate and correct conclusion.

In reality, a bullet flying in a crosswind will always compensate to fly with its nose pointed "upwind" and yet will be dragged downwind.
Make up your mind, your are contradicting yourself again.

There is no wind on the side of a bullet.
Neither I nor Nennstiel-Ruprecht have claimed that there was. At least not on a correctly stabilized bullet - over or under this and, yeah, it'll yaw and there will be air resistance on the side.

In reality a bullet HAS to curve over to follow its trajectory because that's where the center of the shockwave is.

al
No it doesn't. If it HAD to do so then you would never see keyholes in the target (Even with 125 grain 30 cal bullets at 1000 yds -which will almost always keyhole pointing up). It only "HAS" to when the stability is correct. Too much or too little and it "HAS" to do other things.

YEEEpers,, I can see why you never taught!

Now, I'M not he one contradicting myself here. :(

Let's try again. from the top. And I'll try to go sloowwwww so's you can keep up.

In our model the bullet will be viewed from the BACK and the crosswind will be originating from the RIGHT...... commonly called a "right-to-left" crosswind.

LOS will be line-of-sight, also ideal trajectory.

DO WE AGREE that the bullet points RIGHT of LOS (into the wind) yet is dragged LEFT (down wind)?

(This is important ...... I guess if you WANT you can try to rectify this picture with your "hand out the window" story but only if you answer "NO".....)

YES or NO?

al

Hey, Vibe, look at it this way. You have another chance to hear "Vibe is right." No telling how long it will take this time, though. :D

You and Isaac are 2-0 so far, so let's win one for the First Law!

Toby Bradshaw
baywingdb@comcast.net

Keep in it Toby! And keep on the viber ....... don't let him leave.

Note though that his first answer on post 123 seems to state the exact opposite. Just roll up and read it, it's on this page...... and to get the coveted "vibe is right" dude's gotta' BE right, not just flinging numbers and attitude.

get 'er DONE vibe......

al

YEEEpers,, I can see why you never taught!al
And I'm beginning to wonder?? Were you kicked out of school?
Let's not get insulting.

Now, I'M not he one contradicting myself here. :(

Let's try again. from the top. And I'll try to go sloowwwww so's you can keep up.

In our model the bullet will be viewed from the BACK and the crosswind will be originating from the RIGHT...... commonly called a "right-to-left" crosswind.

LOS will be line-of-sight, also ideal trajectory.

DO WE AGREE that the bullet points RIGHT of LOS (into the wind) yet is dragged LEFT (down wind)?

(This is important ...... I guess if you WANT you can try to rectify this picture with your "hand out the window" story but only if you answer "NO".....)

YES or NO?

al
As I have pointed out before..
Pay attention.
Just be cause it flies to the right, and points to the right does not in any way mean that it will go right enough to overcome the push to the left. It only minimizes it. If the bullet does NOT manage to fly directly into the feild flow then it will end up even farther to the left. Just like the boat on the river or a plane landing in a crosswind, you can crab across all you want, but if you do not head into the current, you end up a LOT farther downstream.
This is not inconsistent with the "Lag time" model of wind drift.
The direction of the resistance vector PUSHES against the bullet causing it to slow down and move to the left. :D
And if it causes a drift of 1% of the total range in that time, or 2 MOA , how is that different from 10' than it is at 1000 yards?

Last edited:

"And I'm beginning to wonder?? Were you kicked out of school?
Let's not get insulting."

OK, I deserved that...:D

Now, the "push to the left".... And let's stick with properly spin-stabilized projectiles.

Is it the wind? Does the wind blow the bullet over? Does the "movement of the airfield" push it to the left? Like an airplane? Or a boat? Or a piece of paper dropped from the barn roof? DOES a bullet actually act like the hand out the car window?

In other words, why does a dropped bullet not get blown over equally in equal time?

The "Lag Time Model" isn't a model..... it's just a way to come up with a formula. Bass-Ackwardly.

And incidentally, I contend that if you COULD get a bullet to fly straight down its trajectory, NOT turn into the wind..... it would be "blown over" LESS. And I intend (hope?) to get you to agree, logically. I intend to get you to retract your statement from last post...... "If the bullet does NOT manage to fly directly into the feild flow then it will end up even farther to the left."

logically :)

And THIS understanding will lead to an understanding of right-hand drift in still air and of wind-induced vertical drift. BTW, the marine sniper program STILL teaches the old "bullet rolling on the airstream" model as proposed by Colonel Charles Askins. This doesn't make it right.

al

Now, the "push to the left".... And let's stick with properly spin-stabilized projectiles.

Is it the wind? Does the wind blow the bullet over? Does the "movement of the airfield" push it to the left? Like an airplane? Or a boat? Or a piece of paper dropped from the barn roof? DOES a bullet actually act like the hand out the car window?

In other words, why does a dropped bullet not get blown over equally in equal time?
Yes, and no.
The air movement due to the wind puts a sideways vector into the mix - this causes the bullet to point directly toward the resistance, but it also changes the direction of the bullets travel. IF (Big if here) the wind is only acting upon 100 yards of the bullets 1000 yard flight - it will cause the bullet to hit farther to the left if that is the first 100 yards than it will if it is the last 100 yards. That is because it has changed the angle of the bullets velocity vector - so even with NO additional "drift" the bullet will continue to head to the left. But a dropped bullet DOES get blown equally as much (or nearly so) - when expressed in terms of it's original direction and distance..As in MOA, or % of range. A lot of the "drift" distance, comes from turning the bullets direction of travel.

The "Lag Time Model" isn't a model..... it's just a way to come up with a formula. Bass-Ackwardly.
Not to put too fine a point on it...But that's pretty much the definition of what a model is. A means to put observed behavior into terms that accurately describe and predict the results.

And incidentally, I contend that if you COULD get a bullet to fly straight down its trajectory, NOT turn into the wind..... it would be "blown over" LESS. And I intend (hope?) to get you to agree, logically. I intend to get you to retract your statement from last post...... "If the bullet does NOT manage to fly directly into the feild flow then it will end up even farther to the left."
How do you expect that to happen? At ANY other angle other than straight into the airflow - the cross section exposed to air drag is LARGER than just the circular diameter. And a larger surface exposed to airflow will result in a larger resistive force being generated -which will have MORE of an effect upon the bullets path. Not less. Bigger sails provide MORE force, not less.

logically :)
Without a doubt. And repeatably. :D

And THIS understanding will lead to an understanding of right-hand drift in still air and of wind-induced vertical drift. BTW, the marine sniper program STILL teaches the old "bullet rolling on the airstream" model as proposed by Colonel Charles Askins. This doesn't make it right.

al
That is in still air, which has less effect than moving air. The "Rolling on the airstream" model is still used because it still accurately predicts the observed behavior. Which does pretty much "make it right". But that is another, and separate, problem - and results from the fact that the rotation is slowing much less rapidly than the linear velocity - so the rifling grooves start acting more like the dimples in a golf ball and less like the fetching on an arrow.

Last edited:
What Recoil Is...

Recoil is the momentum in the rifle after ejecting both the gases and the projectile(s). Due to the fact that every force has an equal and opposite force, momentum is conserved. Jet engines would work in space if you had an air supply to the intake. The incoming air is accelerated through the turbines and the nozzle in the end of the engine. Air with higher velocity has a higher momentum, thus adding momentum in equal magnitude and opposite direction to the engine and what it is attached to.
The same thing is true with a firearm. There is no need for a "closed" system. The momentum of the moving gases and projectile add equal and opposite momentum to the gun. The muzzle break "grabs" some of the gas and directs it in a sideways direction or in a backward direction. This eliminates some of the forward momentum in the gas and thus some of the rearward momentum in the rifle. It is simple conservation of momentum. Never fire a gun with a bigger projectile than you and the gun combined.

Well, uhhh, NO vibe..... :) on nearly every point you are wrong. You really need to read a book on this because I can't explain it all. I assumed that you knew more of bullet flight dynamics than nennstiel-Ruprecht.

Your first point that the wind blows the bullet over is simply wrong. This is nothing at all like a boat in a river.....As an example, think this through logically accepting that the numbers are representative of real-world situations. Equal wind in all.

-Bullet "A" may be launched at 4000fps and travel 1000yds in one second (time AND distance) and be "blown over" 15ft.

-Bullet "B" may be launched at only 2000fps and travel the same 1000yds in the same wind and take LONGER doing it (time AND distance) and be "blown over" only 7ft.

-Bullet "C" may be dropped for a full three seconds (longer TIME than the others) and blow over only a few inches.

WHY?

In the "boat in the river" model, the boat and a dropped poohstick will travel equal distance over time once you factor the vectors.

Your second contention that changing the trajectory early on has a larger effect than later in flight is fodder for a fruitful discussion but not knee-jerk easy. (BTW the analogy often used is the hook shot in bowling. Get your hook to break right before target impact and you've got a strike, break too early and you've collected a poor hit or a gutter.) Problem is, a bullet's not a bowling ball. Second problem is, a bullet reacting to a bump doesn't just assume a new vector like a pool ball either. It CAN'T. (BTW, this view was popularized by a member of this board in the book "The Ultimate In Rifle Accuracy." and while "not true" is still accurate in the sense intended.)

Your statement "A lot of the "drift" distance, comes from turning the bullets direction of travel." is simply not true. I know what you mean by it and AS YOU DESCRIBE IT, it's not true. First of all, it's irrelevant, we're assuming full value crosswind, full course. This assumed value is implicit unless stated otherwise. There are no bumps happening here......bumps are freakin' MINDbenders....all fishtailey and spirally and full of residual moments and right-angle torques.

And THIS statement..... "Not to put too fine a point on it...But that's pretty much the definition of what a model is. A means to put observed behavior into terms that accurately describe and predict the results." is kinda' technically "true" BUT........ just because the AD1750 model of medicine included "vapours" and "humours" as causes of sickness, and just because these terms WERE a way to describe conditions. And just because methods used based on these presumptions.descriptions sometimes WORKED, doesn't make the model valid. The development of the microscope and discovery penicillin dramatically changed the models, and later the discoveries of WHY penicillin worked led to new working hypotheses and NEW work. Sure, there are many "models" of the bullet's flight, including nennstiel-Ruprecht's version but only ONE right one. (provable/repeatable) And generally a model arrived at in a bass-ackwards fashion like "The Lag Model" or Didioms Theorem do little to approach the WHY. Find the WHY and the true model follows. It HAS to. (Science is funny that way.... and yes, even alinwa can see that) This all goes back to why I fought you so hard on the muzzle brake thing. If you really understand WHY then formulas and the use thereof become irrelevant. SHORTCUTS yes, but irrelevant to the WHY.

And this statement again shows that you believe that wind is blowing the bullet over. IT'S NOT...... A bullet is not a sail, it's 'wayyy cooler than a sail. This also shows why you believe that a bullet with more yaw will show a measurably lower BC, again, not true for real.

And this last, "That is in still air, which has less effect than moving air. The "Rolling on the airstream" model is still used because it still accurately predicts the observed behavior. Which does pretty much "make it right". But that is another, and separate, problem - and results from the fact that the rotation is slowing much less rapidly than the linear velocity - so the rifling grooves start acting more like the dimples in a golf ball and less like the fetching on an arrow."

WRONG! On several levels. First of all it's just WRONG to make statements like "Which does pretty much "make it right". " That's just SICK man! The "rolling on the airstream model" is still used for ONE reason, Askins said it and grunts is dumb. And it doesn't "predict" anything, it's an archaic attempt at EXPLAINING observed phenomena. Back to the vapours and humours...... history is rife with, nay infested with, nay BUILT ON flawed models....... but the flight of a spin-stabilized projectile is WELL UNDERSTOOD, a different thing entire.

"Rolling on the airstream" doesn't withstand even casual scrutiny. Except with round balls from smoothbores...... rotating at right angles to direction of travel like thrown curveballs. And even then, supersonic behaviour isn't the same as subsonic. Round balls fired from a rifled bore exhibit EXACTLY the same flight characteristics as pointy buwwets.

And the "fetching dimples" thing is just silly. Any imperfections on the surface of the bullet are not only buried beneath the laminar flow but behind and shielded by an enormous shockwave. the only thing that could possible be generated by the rifling grooves would be another shock wave from an extrusion artifact, and it small!

I'll refrain now as I'm not willing to let this devolve into some sort of opinions thing. This isn't stuff I've made up :( and I'm sorry to have drug you into it. I've got a really minor quibble with the current explanation of wind induced VERTICAL drift. But we're not on the same page here.... I HEAR and UNDERSTAND your word pictures. But we're literally BOOKS away from each other here. Try "Rifle Accuracy Facts" by Vaughn for an easy and fun read. "Understanding Firearms Ballistics" by Robt Rinker for a slightly befuddled but overall readable ballistics text. "The Bullet's Flight, from powder to target" by F.W.Mann for a bunch of seminal work (and flawed models) and McCoys "Modern exterior ballistics: The launch and flight dynamics of symmetric projectiles" for the FACTS........ And Askins and Hatcher for a bunch more flawed models. Since't we're on the subject of models and their rightness. :D

But not one clearly demonstrates WHY a bullet blown left will impact high because they don't deal in extreme accuracy. Brian Litz tried over on The Mother Of All..." winddrift threads tried but I'm not convinced that he actually knows. He uses a bunch of "averaging over time" verbiage. In the end, most folks fall into SOME iteration of a bullet "following it's nose" as though all drag rules just "don't apply in this instance......"

But they DO impact high, leftern-blown bullets, and I've got an explanation WHY..... I just don't know for sure that it's right. And we certainly aren't going to solve it until we agree upon what base drag does to trajectory! THEN we can explore whether the precession moment is torque-free movement or torque-induced....and whether still air "spindrift" could be related to vertical drift...... (not "flying," vertical drift)

in a hookah-free environment :eek:

And please, keep Bill out of it!

Meantime, I'll go and brush up more on the difference in WORK DONE by elastic VS inelastic collisions in a gaseous environment. I see your viewpoint there too, now. I don't totally agree because I don't totally understand all the WHYs involved, but for now I'm convinced.... :)

al

Now, before you lose your whole train of thought because you think I've misused "predict"..... There are a bunch of phenomena that "rolling on the air" doesn't account for and BTST it only predicts within a small range. It's partially BECAUSE of it's flawed ability to predict through a wider range that the EXPLANATION was shown to be invalid.

al

OK, question time...If we assume a bullet with a velocity of 3,000 FPS that is acted upon a by 90 deg. crosswind of 10 MPH, and we further assume that the bullet assumes an attitude such that its longitudinal axis is aligned with the vector that is the sum of those representing its forward velocity and the cross wind, (or for that matter has rotated an equal amount in the opposite direction from LOS) at what angle is it from the LOS ?

Last edited:
Well, uhhh, NO vibe..... :) on nearly every point you are wrong. You really need to read a book on this because I can't explain it all. I assumed that you knew more of bullet flight dynamics than nennstiel-Ruprecht.

Yada, yada, yada, and more gibberish.

al
I'll accept that Nennstiel-Ruprecht has probably done more of the math, proofs and verifications with the Aberdeen (and other) data than I have. I have no problem with their modeling at all. If you do - then the burden of proof to discount those claims is upon you. You haven't been able to really come close to doing so as of yet - only "knee jerk feelings".
Accept it or don't. No skin off my nose. :D

Whoever put this together provide some interesting links to other sources besides and including Nennstiel-Ruprecht

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/External_ballistics

Last edited:
:D

Hey Al
That first line is a real Doozzyy.Your wrong on everything but I can't explain it.

On the second line I think Vibe and Henry are in total agreement but haven't dug up his lengthy explanation to verify it yet.

On the third one don't you just hate it when the worlds best military allows our soldiers to be lied too in a field they should know something about.

On the 4th line I only included it because I deleted your earlier take on Vaughn and him being wrong yet again. I didn't want to have to start all over editing lines out.

I just hate it when the Grandfather of Aero-Ballistic Flight for Nuclear Based Ordnance keeps getting everything all screwed up yet the folks on BC have it all figured out.Glad I'm here
Waterboy

you don't read nor REMEMBER so good do you waterboy :)

I CAN explain it, just not here. And plugging numbers into a formula isn't "explaining" anything. Heinlein said it best.... "mathematics doesn't explain anything, it only describes it. Understanding must come first".........The books mentioned ALL do a fine job and they're all correct. Henry's dissertation is fine too. If you've again "deleted your copy" :rolleyes: I'm sure I've got it somewhere. I keep this stuff. And I own the books. Now, if you were to ask Henry the question by quoting this line "The air movement due to the wind puts a sideways vector into the mix" he'll probably hesitantly answer "yes" because in a broad sense it's true...... but so what?

If either of you have the books I'll be happy to steer you to the appropriate texts. And EXPLAIN how they differ from the website info.

On the second line, you think wrong. Henry knows what he's saying, vibe doesn't. Henry KNOWS that a bullet follows its tail, and why. Henry KNOWS that "winddrift" is a drag function not a planing effect.

On the third line..... have you ever BEEN in the military? And the whole thing about "rolling on the air" being taught really isn't really a LIE it's just expedience coupled with simple ignorance. My kid's IN the Marine Corp, GOT the lecture and then got in all sorts of trouble when the D.I. asked if he understood it. (He did, D.I. din't)

On the 4th line.... This is just STUPID on your part Lynn. Dunno why you've now become a vibe apologist but you'd best brush up on your memory work before making assertions about what I believe. I KNOW Harold and his son (BRC robotdr) and can't disagree with ANYTHING Harold has said. I called Harold Vaughn at his home about the subjects of "precession changing BC" and "inbore friction affecting pressure curve" and "inbore yaw" and a host of other things. I've been involved with the work of Vaughn, Borden and Jackson since the mid 80's.... the birth of tuning. They wrote the book on the subject, quantified it. I've also spoken with Henry, settin' on the porch and watchin' his dawgs...... I disagree with NOTHING Henry has ever said here regarding ballistics.

BTW, just to refresh your ailing memory it was HACKETT who discounted Vaughn...... and ME who discounted Hackett...... and YOU who watched and later argued with Dan......and now love to take credit for arguing with Dan.... whee! You STILL mention Hackett at least every month as if we all remember "your history." (And BTW Dan was shooting Bench Rest competitively and successfully before you'd ever seen a BR rifle of any sort.)

You've shown a disturbing tendency to jump in this way of late. I'm what, the THIRD person you've maligned for no conceivable reason in the last year? And had to realize that you were barking up the wrong tree?

Let me state this clearly, A'gain.... I AGREE with Henry Childs and Harold Vaughn. If you THINK or FEEL that vibe does too then good for you. And if you THINK or FEEL that I disagree with any of your idols (Calfee, Vaughn, Childs) then I suggest you be more specific in your charges.

The books I mentioned DO EXPLAIN exterior ballistics. Better than I can. (BTW, they also AGREE, generally.)

Ohhh yeahh, and THREE of them mention "rolling on the wind" and detail how it's inappropriate.

weird :confused:

al

Ohhh yeahhh, and if one of my "disagreements with Henry" includes your stuff on the horsepower thread, give it a rest. Two different ideas going on there. Henry (and vibe etc) are RIGHT about hp rating. A rifle can be rated at "4500hp", logically and rightly. The fact that I took the question to be something else is MY problem, not a "disagreement with Henry."

'EEEpers.....

OK vibe, directly from your wiki.

Wind

Wind has a range of effects, the first being the effect of making the bullet deviate to the side. From a scientific perspective, the "wind pushing on the side of the bullet" is not what causes wind drift. What causes wind drift is drag. Drag makes the bullet turn into the wind, keeping the centre of air pressure on its nose. This causes the nose to be cocked (from your perspective) into the wind, the base is cocked (from your perspective) "downwind." So, (again from your perspective), the drag is pushing the bullet downwind making bullets follow the wind...........

Now, it can be inferred that a bullet HAS TO be dragged in the direction its tail is pointing.

al

Ohhh, and BTW vibe. The WIKI is also inaccurate, in the statement I've quoted in red.

This statement ......"Drag makes the bullet turn into the wind, keeping the centre of air pressure on its nose." ......is incomplete and incorrect on its face.

DRAG doesn't make the bullet turn into the wind. A reaction to drag does.

(irrelevant but indicative IMO of how even correct statements can contain kernels of untruth)

al

Ohhh, and BTW vibe. The WIKI is also inaccurate, in the statement I've quoted in red.

This statement ......"Drag makes the bullet turn into the wind, keeping the centre of air pressure on its nose." ......is incomplete and incorrect on its face.

DRAG doesn't make the bullet turn into the wind. A reaction to drag does.
(irrelevant but indicative IMO of how even correct statements can contain kernels of untruth)

al
IF you consider the above statment to be accurate, the nthe following statement HAS to be false for exactly the same reasons.

OK vibe, directly from your wiki.

Wind

Wind has a range of effects, the first being the effect of making the bullet deviate to the side. From a scientific perspective, the "wind pushing on the side of the bullet" is not what causes wind drift. What causes wind drift is drag. Drag makes the bullet turn into the wind, keeping the centre of air pressure on its nose. This causes the nose to be cocked (from your perspective) into the wind, the base is cocked (from your perspective) "downwind." So, (again from your perspective), the drag is pushing the bullet downwind making bullets follow the wind...........

Now, it can be inferred that a bullet HAS TO be dragged in the direction its tail is pointing.

al
Becasue DRAG in this case is simply a REACTION to velocity, or frontal pressure. But if you wish to look at it that the bullet is PUSHED in the direction the tail is pointing - apparently there is nothing I can do to change that.

IF you consider the above statment to be accurate, the nthe following statement HAS to be false for exactly the same reasons.

Because DRAG in this case is simply a REACTION to velocity, or frontal pressure. But if you wish to look at it that the bullet is PUSHED in the direction the tail is pointing - apparently there is nothing I can do to change that.

I don't follow.....I'd love to know what you're saying here but I don't follow... :confused:

Maybe my verbiage was unclear? Maybe I should have said "a reaction to a change in the drag vector?"

A bullet is on a trajectory, it receives information, a nudge on the tip of the nose from a change in wind vector which tries to destabilize it. In reaction the nose kicks out at 90degrees rotation forward of the bump and begins to orbit its centerline, the nose "searches" for center of rotation until it finds it. At this point (provided the wind is constant) it assumes a new position pointed directly into the new center of flow. It doesn't GO there, it's already got an established trajectory and there's nothing pushing it to go where it's now pointed....... There IS however still that enormous back-push, only now it's a "back-and-SIDE" push........the bullet is pushed offline. The wind doesn't blow it over.

-The "drag" is the pressure on the nose.
-The "reaction" is to a change in the drag vector.
-The "reaction" is a natural result of the laws governing spinning bodies, it's triggered by drag not the result of drag.
-Once the bullet is cocked sideways IN ITS TRAJECTORY it's dragged offline by forces of its own making.
-It's already slowing down. (being pushed backwards)
-Now you turn it and it slows down sideways, it's pushed back sideways.

The salient point is that wind drift is a DRAG function, and in simple fact a bullet will always go to the side where its tail is hanging, NOT where its nose is pointing. It can't follow its nose, it can only follow its initial trajectory or be dragged off it. It's not an airplane.

This isn't "what I believe," it's simply what the books tell me is happening. And it's reasonable.

And when nennstiel-Ruprecht claims that bullets fly "nose high" because of "over-stabilization" it defies the laws of physics. They even invent a term, "tractability," but the initial assumption is flawed. At least until you reach launch angles exceeding 75degrees above the horizon, hardly "flat-fire" ballistics. To quote (slightly paraphrased) Robert Rinker in his book "understanding firearm ballistics" page 104 latest edition:

"The US Army performed.... tests....in 1880....2500yds the bullet made a cut in the beach sand ... but was still point forward...... At 3200 yds and 3500yds the angle was much higher and the bullets made holes instead of cuts"

etc
etc

No one has ever shown differently and MANY have duplicated these tests since 1880.

And in oblique support of all of this, Harold Vaughn shows that the more stable a bullet is the more liable it is to follow its trajectory, AND the greater its GS the more vertical drift it will exhibit.

al

Ohhh, this is gonna' be clompicated Lynn.... :D

OK

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally Posted by alinwa View Post
you don't read nor REMEMBER so good do you waterboy

Al
I actually have a farely decent memory.

OK, then find me a spot where I've ever showed anything but my typical passionate SUPPORT for Henry, Harold or Bill...... I know that ONE TIME I got on Bill for being whiney, because I thought he was. And what's with this "Bill can't post here" stuff. Did he get banned for insisting on his own private forum? I can't see any other reason.... more on the memory later :)

I CAN explain it, just not here.

I remember back a few posts but this isn't what you said then is it?

This isn't really the proper venue for pages of text. I can much more easily send someone to a book on the subject. Henry sends his stuff around in a tidy PDF, because Henry's smart AND careful. AND... Henry refers to McCoy.

Henry's dissertation is fine too. If you've again "deleted your copy"

I've actually got all of Henry's posts in 3 ring binders along with his e-mails.

Good, it's Good Stuff.

Now, if you were to ask Henry the question by quoting this line "The air movement due to the wind puts a sideways vector into the mix" he'll probably hesitantly answer "yes" because in a broad sense it's true...... but so what?

Al
I was saying Vibe and Henry are in agreement on the first 100 yards being the most important nothing more.

Well OK, said that way I'll even agree with the statement. How it applies to the phrase above I dunno!

And the whole thing about "rolling on the air" being taught really isn't really a LIE it's just expedience coupled with simple ignorance. My kid's IN the Marine Corp, GOT the lecture and then got in all sorts of trouble when the D.I. asked if he understood it. (He did, D.I. din't)

Al
Earlier it was a lie now it really isn't.I guess I'm not getting how it is both ways.Is this the same child of yours whom you showed the muzzlebrake thread?

It's SEMANTICS Lynn. First of all, the military DOES knowingly and willingly (and rightly) LIE to its trainees all the time. And secondly, a lie that works for the trainee is better than a truth that's confusing. It doesn't MATTER, as long as the trainee can hit stuff. Nor does the Corp make any attempt at changing their model. Why would they? For their purposes it's fine. Go over to one of the pseudo-sniper forums though to see the misinformation being perpetuated.

On the 4th line.... This is just STUPID on your part Lynn. Dunno why you've now become a vibe apologist but you'd best brush up on your memory work before making assertions about what I believe. I KNOW Harold and his son (BRC robotdr) and can't disagree with ANYTHING Harold has said.

Al I thought you earlier in this very post were in disagreement with Vaughn.I will try and find it so as not to upset you.I witnessed your arguement with Vibe on the rifle HP Rating thread first hand.In case you forgot already you were quite upset then as well.

OK. I'm not "upset".... nor was I, but I'm certainly not in disagreement with Harold Vaughn! BTW, I misspoke regarding "I KNOW Harold Vaughn" since Harold passed several yrs ago. "KNEW" (a little) is accurate. Whatever you "witnessed" on the hp thread is perty easy to check on, it's still right around the corner. I'll go recheck it.

I've been involved with the work of Vaughn, Borden and Jackson since the mid 80's.....

Al Tell us about your involvement with Vaughn and Jackson if you would.I can e-mail Jim myself to find out about your involvement.

My involvement has been as a fascinated bystander. I've been following their work, calling for information and clarification and generally trying to keep up with their stuff since the furor that generated the reprinting of TJ Jackson's work. They're responsible for compiling the first accurate assessment of tuning that I'm aware of.

I've also spoken with Henry, settin' on the porch and watchin' his dawgs...... I disagree with NOTHING Henry has ever said here regarding ballistics.

I talked with Henry myself two weeks ago by phone about the new BIB boattails.Henry called me I didn't call Henry.I take it from Henry that he thinks the first 100 yards is the most important and you don't seem to.I got that impression from your earlier post to vibe on this thread.Am I mistaken?

I guess I don't know what to say here Lynn. What you understood from what I said is up to you but I did NOT disagree with Henry here or over on the HP thread. What I DID do is misunderstand the intent of the question. And yes you were RIGHT regarding RATE.... no argument. Although that's hard to verify now....

BTW, just to refresh your ailing memory it was HACKETT who discounted Vaughn...... and ME who discounted Hackett...... and YOU who watched and later argued with Dan......and now love to take credit for arguing with Dan.... whee! You STILL mention Hackett at least every month as if we all remember "your history." (And BTW Dan was shooting Bench Rest competitively and successfully before you'd ever seen a BR rifle of any sort.)

Al
All I can say is buy some decaffinated coffee.I have only ever argued with Dan Hackett about Meplat trimming and Chronographs.I don't think I've ever argued with him on a bullets flight but as a Supermoderator please show me the post where I did or claimed too.You also state I still quote DAN Atleast every month.Al this is blatantly absurd but I want you to win this one so please post my arguement or claim from last month.Your ranting shows me you have already lost your cool and I don't understand why? If you feel this way I truly hope you can explain why? I also wasn't aware that Dan was shooting competitively and successfully before I ever saw a BR rifle of any kind.Please give me the date when I saw my first benchrest rifle.Month and year is good enough don't worry about the day of the week.
The last time I argued with Dan Hackett he threatened to sue me on XtremeAccuracy.com You might take a peak and
see what has happened to that forum.Did Dan Hackett threaten to sue you?

I didn't SAY you argued with Hackett over ballistics!!! (Although I sure did!) Nor did I say that you "quote Dan Hackett." You've referred to him a bunch of times. I was wrong to say "once a month" but a search will show reference to him in your undeleted posts. Dan Hackett is the only person here on BRC that openly and repeatedly made statements to the effect that Harold Vaughn was a misinformed blowhard. Others have questioned Vaughn and many have said "who's he anyway, what wood did he win??" "Blatantly absurd" it may be but either your memory is failing or you weren't following. Dan Hackett VS Harold Vaughn was the absolute PINNACLE of the Moly Wars. Dan= pro moly and Vaughn = anti moly. this was THE big subject on BRC. Maybe it was before your time. I really did think you caught the tail end (last yr or two) of the Moly Wars. I remember when you very first came on here with your questions. MY brain places that around 2000. Were you here when FLM died? And I rant because I LIKE to rant... not because I'm mad. :eek: Hey, I like Dennis miller too, so sue me. BTW, Hackett was shooting at least back into the mid 70's. Before that I really don't know as I was completely ignorant of the subject. And although Harold Vaughn read this forum he refrained from posting, for the same reasons as Henry.

You've shown a disturbing tendency to jump in this way of late. I'm what, the THIRD person you've maligned for no conceivable reason in the last year? And had to realize that you were barking up the wrong tree?

Al I think you will see I have maligned nobody on this forum not even you.Point out were you were maligned please.I did send Wilbur some disturbing threats from one poster but never maligned anyone.Is that Poster who sent the threats still here? If yes point me to his latest post please.Also Please let me know when I am to disagree with you in the future so I won't jump in too late.Did I jump in too late on the HP Rating thread as well
?

I was maligned by you asserting that I disagreed with Henry. And with Harold. You've done this several times. I find this odd! As far as other posters, I guess I'll just retract that statement. Your arguments with others here is none of my business. :) I shouldn't have said it that way.

Let me state this clearly, A'gain.... I AGREE with Henry Childs and Harold Vaughn. If you THINK or FEEL that vibe does too then good for you. And if you THINK or FEEL that I disagree with any of your idols (Calfee, Vaughn, Childs) then I suggest you be more specific in your charges.

Al in the Horsepower thread you clearly stated Henry dummied down his answer because it was directed to myself.Henry was right then and he is still right now.I can't help it if you fly off the handle and call people names or say they are dummies or stupid then get egg on your face.I like posts by Henry because he doesn't dummy down his answers to myself no matter what YOU may think.You were simply wrong.I also don't idolise Vaughn.I merely think his credentials trump your wild rants as of late especially with Vibe.Since your now batting 0 for 2 and soon to be 0 for 3.I hope you can handle being wrong?

I just went over and checked the hp thread for kicks.... posts #45, 46, 47, 48.... I still can't see how you think I "disagree with Henry Childs!" Or Harold Vaughn??? Alla' this is a little surreal to me! I'll try to tone down eh!

As to Bill Calfee yes I like the guy but no I don't idolise him.This might be hard for you to understand right now but I think he should be able to post here.I also think those who want to crucify him on everything should simply ignore his posts.I thought the forum had a nobody gets hurt policy but as you have clearly posted I have a memory problem.We are now to chase away one of the finest gunsmiths in the world anytime he doesn't use the correct terminology.Am I correct on this one? Now answer me this because my memory as you have posted is bad.What did Supermoderator Jackie Schmidt and Hall of Fame Shooter Speedy Gonzales post about tuners 5-6 years ago when Bill Calfee mentioned them here? Can you tell me what Jackie thinks about them now? Can you tell me what Borden thinks about them? It seems that Wilbur deleted all of Jackies earlier posts when Jackie thought he was going to get sued.
When you answer that question truthfully on the record or just in your mind ponder this thought.Bill calfee has been using and writing about tuners since 1990 yet he isn't allowed to post here.Who in your opinion has more experience on the subject of all these fine posters,Gene Beggs,Jackie Schmidt,Jim Borden or Bill Calfee?Does Henry Childs use a straight tapered barrel or is his muzzle different than most competitive BR rifles in use today?
Al I'm not idolising Bill I just like to listen to those that know and those that do.I am not interested in threads by posters who haven't been competitive in 20 years or only started shooting competitively in the last year.Anything there ring a bell?

Ok, I'll try. :) The thing about Calfee isn't just about the validity of TUNERS, it's about the phrase "stopped muzzle" and all that goes with it. I'm not gonna' be dragged into comparisons but the guy who sold me my first tuner in '89 had in his words "hundreds" in his drawer ...... I flat out gave up on tuners back in about 1994. Now I have several.

Regarding your read on the HOW and WHY of the various subjects and persons mentioned. I'll not comment. In my worldview EVERYONE has something to contribute.

Regarding the "bell"...... I'll refrain. But I'll note that most drivers aren't builders nor did Harold Vaughn ever shoot competitively.

Ohhh yeahhh, and if one of my "disagreements with Henry" includes your stuff on the horsepower thread, give it a rest. Two different ideas going on there. Henry (and vibe etc) are RIGHT about hp rating. A rifle can be rated at "4500hp", logically and rightly. The fact that I took the question to be something else is MY problem, not a "disagreement with Henry."

Al I agreed with Henry and Vibe on the first 100 yards being the most important nothing more nothing less.The HP RATING was a math question that required plugging the numbers into a formula nothing more.The fact that you went nuts there and then don't want to include it here is fine with me as I believed Henry all along and discounted your ramblings.If you look at the thread again I think I was the one explaining to YOU about RATES but I don't want you to get all emotional about it now so I will let you alone.

Sorry about the emotional content. Really. And, as usual, my lack of clarity both of THOUGHT and of WORDS! I "don't want to include it here" only because IT'S ALREADY OVER THERE! On the hp thread. Easily accessed. My whole mess...... I'm not one to wipe my stuff out because I've made a spectacle of myself. I Yam what I Yam, warts feathers an' all.... :D

I've probably just made it worse, MORE complicated..... but hey. I do care. And I DO want to be shown if I'm wrong. I'd rather learn something than be "right" any day.

thanks

al

Al,
A little thought...we spend our time in consideration of elongated bullets, and the previous discussion has dealt with them exclusively. I understand that a bullet has a center of mass and a center area ( as viewed from the side. If these two were in the same place. I don't think that a cross wind there would have any effect on where the bullet was "pointing" relative to LOS, but I do think that the bullet would drift anyway. As an example of this situation I give you the round ball. Just because two things happen at the same time does not mean that one causes the other. Long pointy bullets have less drag so they slow down at a reduced rate. This means that they arrive at the target sooner than a round ball, and are thereby exposed to a cross wind for less time, so they are not pushed/pulled (take your pick) as far from LOS.

Lapua is now offering free ballistic software for their bullets that is based on doppler radar studies of their flight. This is about as good as it is going to get insofar as having a physically verified model to use for prediction, and given that we have such tools at our disposal, little more is needed since the whole purpose of exterior ballistics is to predict where a projectile will impact under a given set of conditions. In short, when we know exactly what is going to happen arguments about the mechanism fade in importance, and only come into play when modifying the system. Even so, prudence suggests verifying by test, rather than proceeding on blind faith in theory.

Maybe my verbiage was unclear? Maybe I should have said "a reaction to a change in the drag vector?"

A bullet is on a trajectory, it receives information, a nudge on the tip of the nose from a change in wind vector which tries to destabilize it. In reaction the nose kicks out at 90degrees rotation forward of the bump and begins to orbit its centerline, the nose "searches" for center of rotation until it finds it. At this point (provided the wind is constant) it assumes a new position pointed directly into the new center of flow. It doesn't GO there, it's already got an established trajectory and there's nothing pushing it to go where it's now pointed....... There IS however still that enormous back-push, only now it's a "back-and-SIDE" push........the bullet is pushed offline. The wind doesn't blow it over.
The wind is what is providing the SIDE portion of the Back and side push - so yeah it sort of does blow it over to the side.

-The "drag" is the pressure on the nose.
And skin friction - not that it matters too terribly much to this discuission.

-The "reaction" is to a change in the drag vector.
Which is constantly changing throughout the flight - even in still air - in both direction and magnitude.

-The "reaction" is a natural result of the laws governing spinning bodies, it's triggered by drag not the result of drag.
That's a semantic difference at best.

-Once the bullet is cocked sideways IN ITS TRAJECTORY it's dragged offline by forces of its own making.
OK. Not sure how the bullet made the winds cross component of the airflow vector...but if you say so I'm sure you will explain it.

-It's already slowing down. (being pushed backwards)
-Now you turn it and it slows down sideways,
LOL. though it ends up moving at a faster sideways rate than it had to start with. How does something slow down to a higher rate of speed?

it's pushed back sideways.
I think I've said this and gotten argument for it.

The salient point is that wind drift is a DRAG function, and in simple fact a bullet will always go to the side where its tail is hanging, NOT where its nose is pointing. It can't follow its nose, it can only follow its initial trajectory or be dragged off it. It's not an airplane.
LOL. But it can act like a glider - minimize the drag through the use of an efficient attitude and it can have a positive ground speed against the wind. Increase the attack angle for more lift and also more drag, and a glider can actually have a negative ground speed - or fly backwards. Our bullet will not (on it's own) fly very far into the wind (though it can and does make short forays in that direction when it's pointed that way - but these are very short lived and could more accurately be compared to the swoop and dip of a glider).

The main similarity to this crude analogy is that as the drag varies, so does the deceleration rate. The higher the drag, the more drift - and the more drop, and the lower the BC. The lower the drag, the higher the BC, the bullet is decelerated at a lower rate, and it drifts less. The lowest drag attitude is directly nose into the airflow - not directly nose into the trajectory as you have stated before.

This isn't "what I believe," it's simply what the books tell me is happening. And it's reasonable.
Please attach a scan of a book that states that the lowest drag profile is as you have stated - nose into trajectory vs nose into airflow. I do not think you have EVER read that stated that way.

And when nennstiel-Ruprecht claims that bullets fly "nose high" because of "over-stabilization" it defies the laws of physics. They even invent a term, "tractability," but the initial assumption is flawed. At least until you reach launch angles exceeding 75degrees above the horizon, hardly "flat-fire" ballistics.
Have you shot very many 125 grain 30 cal bullets at a 1000yard target? 150 grain? 180 grain? 200? 220?
At what point do you stop getting vertical keyholes? The lighter (shorter) bullets will become "overstabilized" much sooner and exhibit the problem much worse than the less Dynamicly stable heavy for diameter bullets. So what the report claims is completely substantiated by common observances.

To quote (slightly paraphrased) Robert Rinker in his book "understanding firearm ballistics" page 104 latest edition:

"The US Army performed.... tests....in 1880....2500yds the bullet made a cut in the beach sand ... but was still point forward...... At 3200 yds and 3500yds the angle was much higher and the bullets made holes instead of cuts"

etc
etc

No one has ever shown differently and MANY have duplicated these tests since 1880.
1880? And you accuse me of referencing "Humors and Vapors"?

And in oblique support of all of this, Harold Vaughn shows that the more stable a bullet is the more liable it is to follow its trajectory, AND the greater its GS the more vertical drift it will exhibit.

al
Again please provide a scan from the book - I think you read it incorrectly.

Back