Most significant step in reloading

It may seem unnecessary to mention because it's so obvious, but IMO, the most important step in the reloading processis to pick the right bottle of powder off the shelf. If you don't get that right, nothing else matters.

I've not made the mistake of grabbing the wrong bottle, but heard of somebody that did. It wasn't pretty.

Fitch

again...you are not reading the whole question....
you can only pick from his list..ohhh and there are three different types of shooting involved, ohh and on a budget and for beginers...

mike in co

It may seem unnecessary to mention because it's so obvious, but IMO, the most important step in the reloading processis to pick the right bottle of powder off the shelf. If you don't get that right, nothing else matters.

I've not made the mistake of grabbing the wrong bottle, but heard of somebody that did. It wasn't pretty.

Fitch

Well then, clearly the most important step. especially for beginners, wasn't on the list. :D

Fitch

i would agree with that.
also, the way the question is written, with fixed answers , three shooting sports and beginers on a limited budget.......it was doomed to fail.
mike in co
Well then, clearly the most important step. especially for beginners, wasn't on the list. :D

Fitch

Shooting good bullets through good barrels is the first step. Without that, the rest is just assembly.

I would agree with the couple early posters that case length is #1 on the list. After that, I'd keep the original post top 4 choices in some sequence.

ability to determine if load is actually working so now do we decide which bench technique is best.before we go that far will the gun show the improvement ((is the gun accurate enuf to be honest)

Yea Al I kind of get that too though you will have to admit at times his thinking is a little down under;)

right BUT NONE OF YOU ARE ANSWERING THE QUESTION, in the parameters from his list of answers.....

i school i was told two things...rtfq( read the fking question) and ATFQ( answer the fking question) and to not answer what i thought was being asked.......

mike in co

Cleaning insede the neck:

Have any of youse guys come up with a way of keeping carbon from accumulating inside case necks? I am talking about something that can be used on several hundred cases that are in use. A friend and I recently purchased a SS media setup and he sez it is lacking in it's performance. I bought an Iosso kit but found it lacking as well.

I had considered a reamer but tried that and it took to much brass off some because of the unevenness of case memory. I know of folks who use small numbers of cases and polish the inside of their necks but there ain't enough time left in my life to polish the inside of 1000 necks and to keep them polished.

I am wondering if there might be some Automotive cleaner that would take the carbon off without eating the brass, like the Carbureator cleaning solvement in the big can that is so Pungent?

From my experience, carbon buildup is a significant factor in uneven bullet seating.

Last edited:
francis....
does this mean that you and i agree on something again ???
twice this century...
mike in co

"In my mind ALL steps are important but for argument sake I am trying to establish the most useful step for members who have limited financial resources when starting out reloading"

In my mind, this is a flawed question. We have an abbreviaed list from which to select.
As on election day, there is no "none of the above" selection or prioritization option.
This may be the first time I have ever answered a survey with, "I have no opinion". Why do people answer a survey if they have no opinion?
So back to the original "sake of argument" proposal; if one is on limited financial resources why are they spending money on shooting?
This is my pearl for the day.

the question is written so poorly with the qualifiers and limited answers that it is doomed to fail from the start.
most repliers are NOT READING THE WHOLE QUESTION.
AND AS YOU POINTED OUT, IF FINANCIALLY RESTRICTED , WHY ARE YOU SHOOTING...

none of the above... IS VERY CORRECT.
mike in co
Mike:
My opinions cited on BC Forum are all and always subject to change.
Just what do you agree with?

Cleaning insede the neck:

Have any of youse guys come up with a way of keeping carbon from accumulating inside case necks? I am talking about something that can be used on several hundred cases that are in use. A friend and I recently purchased a SS media setup and he sez it is lacking in it's performance. I bought an Iosso kit but found it lacking as well.

I had considered a reamer but tried that and it took to much brass off some because of the unevenness of case memory. I know of folks who use small numbers of cases and polish the inside of their necks but there ain't enough time left in my life to polish the inside of 1000 necks and to keep them polished.

I am wondering if there might be some Automotive cleaner that would take the carbon off without eating the brass, like the Carbureator cleaning solvement in the big can that is so Pungent?

From my experience, carbon buildup is a significant factor in uneven bullet seating.

Tell your friend to use a little Dawn and a tablespoon (or a little more) of Lemishine with his stainless pins, and don't load the tumbler down with too many cases.

He should be seeing absolutely clean cases after just a couple of hours.

Read this, too: http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=42&t=344832 . [I promise you'll be okay afterwards.]

One of the issues:

My friend said was with our thin neck Benchrest cases the necks get beat up pretty badly. Said the ends of the necks came out jagged and probably would need to be trimmed. He thinks for cases that have "Factory Necks, the process would work ok. I want something that will work quite quickly without damaging my cases in any way.

The cases aren't being slammed around in a Thumbler's Tumbler. If I can get some junked cases with turned necks I'll see what happens.

In your case, you could spring for an ultrasonic cleaner which will also clean cases slick inside and out. Dish soap and Lemishine are the magic ingredients for that process, too. Harbor Freight sells a cleaner for about $60 that should have plenty of capacity for a set of benchrest cases. Larger machines start at about $225 and go up quickly.

Pete if you check Butch Lambert had a couple of posts I think about using the stainless steel. I could be wrong but I dont think so. As I remember he said he didnt have any problems.

Back