Most Accurate 22lr budget ammo.

O

ob1coby

Shooting my very expensive .308 ammo is about to cause a divorce. I'm moving to 22lr for a majority of my long range practice. I have several high end 22lr target rifles and pistols, but the high end 22lr ammo is still too expensive. I realize that different ammo behaves differently in different guns. But, in the 5-6 dollar per box (100), is there any ammo that is generally accepted as the most accurate in that price range? Thanks.

Your stated range is below the threshold a bit.....If you could go that price for a box of 50 (standard size box) I'd look at the SK line.

Your right. I meant the average box qty (50). Thanks

SK Standard Plus. Some SK from a year ago had a spread of 20-25fps. Last batch from several months ago was not quite so good. Be ready for the occasional flier- joe

Buzzsaw,
You shoot 10 boxes of ammo at a match?
I can usually get away with 4 boxes on a 6 card match.
Steve

I've been having problems with SK ammo recently. It's started to give me a lot of flyers. I can see it take off after it gets about 40 yards and I'll miss by a whole inch or so. I've had more luck with CCI SV lately and it's half the price of SK. But today I shot 8 100 point shots in a row and my CCI SV started taking off on me. I did clean the bore the night before on my CZ 453 and apparently it made my consistency go down. Usually I can shoot a consistent group of about .25" with that ammo. I've shot some groups under .11". I've had some groups where 4 shots were under .1" by a good bit but I got a flyer that pushed the group size out to about .3". Consistency is always the battle with .22's especially with quality control going out the window because of the shortages. My Savage is still my best shooting .22 but not by much. The CZ does almost as well and is more consistent or at least it was before today. Hopefully it will settle back down after I get the bore fouled enough. But I've shot a 2200 with my Savage on an ARA target. I can't do that often. Actually I have only done it once so a lot of that was just luck. I always get better results with a dirty bore though. Maybe that's just me. :)

I've been having problems with SK ammo recently. It's started to give me a lot of flyers. I can see it take off after it gets about 40 yards and I'll miss by a whole inch or so. I've had more luck with CCI SV lately and it's half the price of SK. <SNIP>

The last couple of bricks of SK Standard Plus I got the end of last year does not shoot near as good as what I have been getting the last couple of years- the fliers are back. I also suspect it is quality control. I'm about to order again in the next couple of weeks but i'm waiting as long as I can- hoping to get into a new batch woth better results.... joe

Here's my opinion. If I could only afford to spend $12 on ammo for a day's shooting I would buy one box of awesome ammo instead of 2 boxes of $6 ammo. I get more reward from a good shooting combo than from shooting an subpar combo twice as much.

Here's my opinion. If I could only afford to spend $12 on ammo for a day's shooting I would buy one box of awesome ammo instead of 2 boxes of $6 ammo. I get more reward from a good shooting combo than from shooting an subpar combo twice as much.

I agree with you 100 percent

Roy

Ray the only problem with your comment- more money does not equal more accurate ammo. As Slick Willy said all the more expensive ammo does is guarantee you there will be some left if your into testing lots.

I've shot about 10-15 of $45 a brick SK Standard Plus last year with an extreme spread of about 20 FPS. I cronyed so much- over half- I got tired of setting up the chrony. It would shoot easy .150- .225 five shot groups @ 50 yards with several of my rimfires- Turbo bench- Rem 37- 40X W52C.The SK shot great in all of them. I shot a lot of sub .150 5 shot groups. Yes sometimes I did get the occasional flier- but I knew it was the ammo, maybe 3 or 4 fliers out of a box of 50.

The occasional flier for me, did not justify me buying the $12- $17 box Eley. Yes I bought some blue, black and red box stuff and it shot no better than the SK. I only bought about 15 different lots of Eley over time and just couldn't afford to find that Magic Lot.

When i figured out rimfire is not about the shooters skill or about the metal- rimfire only proves the great shooters have the ability to spend till they do find the magic ammo, nothing else.

It does seem most in rimfire want the new person to believe the sport of rimfire is more complicated than the space shuttle- it is not..... joe:eek:

Ray the only problem with your comment- more money does not equal more accurate ammo. As Slick Willy said all the more expensive ammo does is guarantee you there will be some left if your into testing lots.

I've shot about 10-15 of $45 a brick SK Standard Plus last year with an extreme spread of about 20 FPS. I cronyed so much- over half- I got tired of setting up the chrony. It would shoot easy .150- .225 five shot groups @ 50 yards with several of my rimfires- Turbo bench- Rem 37- 40X W52C.The SK shot great in all of them. I shot a lot of sub .150 5 shot groups. Yes sometimes I did get the occasional flier- but I knew it was the ammo, maybe 3 or 4 fliers out of a box of 50.

The occasional flier for me, did not justify me buying the $12- $17 box Eley. Yes I bought some blue, black and red box stuff and it shot no better than the SK. I only bought about 15 different lots of Eley over time and just couldn't afford to find that Magic Lot.

When i figured out rimfire is not about the shooters skill or about the metal- rimfire only proves the great shooters have the ability to spend till they do find the magic ammo, nothing else.

It does seem most in rimfire want the new person to believe the sport of rimfire is more complicated than the space shuttle- it is not..... joe:eek:

Great ammo will make mediocre rifles and shooters look a lot more competative. The goal is to find a barrel that will make mediocre ammo look great.

Ray the only problem with your comment- more money does not equal more accurate ammo. As Slick Willy said all the more expensive ammo does is guarantee you there will be some left if your into testing!

Joe, There is a difference in equipment,you`ve seen it in all forms of racing and even darts! Now a Killer rifle won`t be the overwhelming piece that say it was in 2002 as today because there are many folks have the equipment equal to it today,Gorham, Brock,Eck,Higdon & Davis can match most any Waxed Lead Mesiah in building a Killer Rifle. All Eley is not created equal,some is far superior and can give a 150-200 point advantage in the right hands , not every body can read the wind and mirage even with the Killer combo on their bench,that`s my problem! You still have a skill set and patients that you know there are shooters on the line that is better than you ,have the confidence it`s their day and they think every thing they have is better than yours ! When you beat them ------at my age, it`s sex for the first time again . I shoot with some great shooters and no one dominates at the 4 ranges I shoot at !

Last edited:
I've been having problems with SK ammo recently. It's started to give me a lot of flyers. I can see it take off after it gets about 40 yards and I'll miss by a whole inch or so. I've had more luck with CCI SV lately and it's half the price of SK. But today I shot 8 100 point shots in a row and my CCI SV started taking off on me. I did clean the bore the night before on my CZ 453 and apparently it made my consistency go down. Usually I can shoot a consistent group of about .25" with that ammo. I've shot some groups under .11". I've had some groups where 4 shots were under .1" by a good bit but I got a flyer that pushed the group size out to about .3". Consistency is always the battle with .22's especially with quality control going out the window because of the shortages. My Savage is still my best shooting .22 but not by much. The CZ does almost as well and is more consistent or at least it was before today. Hopefully it will settle back down after I get the bore fouled enough. But I've shot a 2200 with my Savage on an ARA target. I can't do that often. Actually I have only done it once so a lot of that was just luck. I always get better results with a dirty bore though. Maybe that's just me. :)

I agree Jeff: The first BR.,Rifle I had built, was on a Savage mk.2 w/ the accutrigger barreled action"many mods" It still always seemed to shoot only that cci sv paper box, and I tried it all, back then. To date my wife shoots this rifle and CCI sv it is, and by preferance, always a dirty barrel, a clean barrel makes mayhem! for apx. 50 rds. Ed.

Joe, but if one is traveling to a big match wanting to do their best, paying entry fees and motel rooms 3 or 4 flyers in a box is not acceptable. I only shoot for fun in club matches so I take that chance and don't shoot the best ammo but if I were into .22 benchrest I certainly would. No point not to. --Greg

Respectfully I feel I have been misquoted....... I don't think me/we're talking about shooting in matches. Shooting in matches is great, for me I have no desire to best my fellow man- I stand by my comment all you prove is who has found the best ammo. I find the skill level to shoot a rimfire 50 yards with1 piece rest and 36X + scope marginal at best.... this is just for me, not everyone....... I don't shoot in strong winds, neither does BC. It is more a test of metal for me nothing else..... joe

Back