Mini Mauser project

Has anyone ever tried a 1" reamer instead of lapping? What were the results? I have lapped mine as well in the past but never bedded the bases. Couldnt make myself believe it was a critical area but then I'm old. I'm gonna do it when I get home.

Thanks,

Pete

Pete, I have a Bsquare reamer for rings. Here's the deal...even after reaming, you still don't get 100% contact...you still need to bed the rings if you want maximum contact and stress free mounting. Same way with the bases.

It's no different than perfect bedding between the receiver and stock.

Why this important area isn't given more attention by accuracy minded gun tinkerers remains a mystery to me. :confused: -Al

Why this important area isn't given more attention by accuracy minded gun tinkerers remains a mystery to me. :confused: -Al

You want to start a fight on line? Go to one of many "not so technical" gun forums, and start a thread on how to lap rings. People don't care if the rings cut into the scope body.

Or a thread about chambering methods......

Last edited:
Ignorance is bliss?

Pete, I have a Bsquare reamer for rings. Here's the deal...even after reaming, you still don't get 100% contact...you still need to bed the rings if you want maximum contact and stress free mounting. Same way with the bases.

It's no different than perfect bedding between the receiver and stock.

is likely the explanation. I feel the same about loading ammo but then many people still throw charges and accept whatever OAL they get out of their seater dies. I guess both areas are felt by many not to matter.

Pete

Got back to it a little bit this weekend. Rummaged around and found a Sinclair bore guide that needed the O.D. reduced to fit in the raceway. That done, I cleaned the beejeezus out of the bore with Butch's Bore Shine and then got after it with some J.B. paste. With a tight patch on the cleaning rod, it appears to be twisted 1:12. The throat appears to be pretty long, as expected.

These little 7X10-12-14 mini lathes really come in handy for little projects like the bore guide.

TghqiwIl.jpg

Last edited:
Finito, Benito!

Finished the wood work...smoothed some edges and eliminated the grip cap. Did a sand colored epoxy finish, then broke out the airbrush and added some black webbing for a bit of texture and followed that with a matte epoxy clear coat.

With this 16 oz. Weaver V16 4-16X44 scope, it's 7lbs, 2oz. all up. Could pare 4 ozs. with a short little Leupold 3-9X33 A.O. that's on hand, also. It's a bit butt heavy and the longer Weaver balances it pretty well, though.

Total tab figures out like so:

$448.33 - gun incl Nikon 3-9 scope incl. tax
$21.90 - Leupold Rifleman Weaver style rings incl. tax
$14.83 - Weaver two piece bases incl. tax (replaced the one pc base it came with as it had very little contact area to the receiver)
$12.82 - rattle can sand colored epoxy paint
$2.16 - two 6X1.00 mm Allen head button screws to replace the flat head screws for the trigger guard.

The Pro Bed and the aluminum round stock for the pillars was on hand, as was the Delrin bore guide that was cut down to fit this action. The black paint for the airbrush webbing and matte epoxy clear was also here from some other stock jobs I've done.

So, the total was $500.04. A pal needed a decent scope for his daughters new Tikka 308 deer rifle so the Nikon that came on this gun headed his way for $125.00. So all in, it looks like $375.04 for everything, less a scope. The Weaver I put on it was a NIB one from when they were discontinued years ago that I've been saving for...well, you never know!

As soon as it warms up a bit, I'll get the Bargain Basement Mini-Mouser out and see how it shoots.

z4kqMYEl.jpg

Last edited:
Finished the wood work...smoothed some edges and eliminated the grip cap. Did a sand colored epoxy finish, then broke out the airbrush and added some black webbing for a bit of texture and followed that with a matte epoxy clear coat.

With this 16 oz. Weaver V16 4-16X44 scope, it's 7lbs, 2oz. all up. Could pare 4 ozs. with a short little Leupold 3-9X33 A.O. that's on hand, also. It's a bit butt heavy and the longer Weaver balances it pretty well, though.

z4kqMYEl.jpg

Ain't bad for a feller with grease under his finger nails.

Nicely done Al !! :cool: Kevin

Kevin, I had the white, greys and blues all out and ready to go! If I can stumble onto a used stock, that could still happen.;)

Speaking of stumbling onto things, I've found out that the extractors for these things aren't exactly falling out of the trees and can be a weak link if you're a bit....up there....shall we say, in the pressure range. And since, to channel the inner Randy Robinett: "I ain't a-skeered of no stinkin' pressure! :eek: (within reason on a little action like this, if only obviously), I beat the bushes for some extra extractors only to strike out everywhere I looked.

On a chance, I called Zastava U.S.A. hoping they could direct me to a source. They informed me that not only were they available, they had them in stock and yes...they'd be happy to drop a couple in the mail to me. They also explained that this little gun is still available from them as the Model M85 in 223, 22-250 and 22 Hornet (K-Hornet, anyone? :cool:).

We've got some warmer weather on the way next week (mid 50's) so hopefully I can get out with it.

Good shootin'. -Al

You'll find more.......

....hen's teeth than old L461 type long-extractors. And when you do.....those "teeth" will run ya about 60 bucks EACH!!

Although I've never seen a broken one......I have "straightened" a few, over the years. A bit tricky....but doable.

About the Zastava extractor......haven't looked at one. So I'm not sure of it's bolt fit, and it's fitted "grab" of the case rim(read: primary extraction).

I'm sure THIS helps.....:cool:

Kevin

Last edited:
In the interest of compactness (is that a word??), I stuck an Athlon 3-12 on it this afternoon to test drive the ergonomics. The bolt handle/occular is close but workable.

Pretty sure there's a Leupold VariX II 4-12 A.O. around here somewhere. -Al

5OpcEw0l.jpg

In the interest of compactness (is that a word??), I stuck an Athlon 3-12 on it this afternoon to test drive the ergonomics. The bolt handle/occular is close but workable.

Pretty sure there's a Leupold VariX II 4-12 A.O. around here somewhere. -Al

5OpcEw0l.jpg

It needs (wants?) a Burris Mini 4-12, AO!:p RG

I have such a beast.
The trigger is crap but useable. I chambered it in ,204 Ruger and get decent accuracy from but the magazine never worked.
That is, the rounds just pop up when I try to stuff it.
Why would that be?
And Timney dont make a trigger for it any more :(

I have such a beast. I chambered it in ,204 Ruger and get decent accuracy from but the magazine never worked.
That is, the rounds just pop up when I try to stuff it. Why would that be?

Not sure what you mean when you say they "...just pop up"? For the heck of it, I made up some dummy 204R rounds loaded to .020 shorter than mag length and tried them in my 223. With 3 in the magazine, they fed just fine. If anything, the follower or follower/mag spring may need tweaking. Both are available.

The trigger is crap but useable. And Timney dont make a trigger for it any more :(

The trigger you want is still available directly from Timney and closeout priced. I'd not linger.....;)

https://timneytriggers.com/search.php?search_query=315&section=product

Good shootin'. -Al

Back