Military surplus 8208

albie431

Fellow Shooters I have purchased 8lbs of military surplus 8208 as i am getting into group shooting again. I have little or no knowledge of this powder except what I see on match reports. Can I get some advice as to where to start and some info as to how this stuff shoots.

Fellow Shooters I have purchased 8lbs of military surplus 8208 as i am getting into group shooting again. I have little or no knowledge of this powder except what I see on match reports. Can I get some advice as to where to start and some info as to how this stuff shoots.

LOT Number ?

Have not had any luck with that lot in 6-MM PPC. I originally purchased a full case (6-8's) in hope s that it would perform, however i successfully chased my tail with 4 and 1's, and sold the other 5 . Sometimes it would shoot well , but not in comparison to other 8208's i have. I shot it anywhere from 27.6 - 29.5.
I heard that some shooters in Minn,Mich, and that area had some success with it, however here in Arizona we could not get it to work consistently.
GOOD LUCK.
Joe P. Phx

lot # aac122910

Probably in a white jug with an orange label? GI Brass.

Should work fine as a guess. Start about 29 grains and work up to a case full-1/8" from top of case with a SLOW pour.

If you can get close or to 3400 fps it will do the job.

Probably in a white jug with an orange label? GI Brass.

Should work fine as a guess. Start about 29 grains and work up to a case full-1/8" from top of case with a SLOW pour.

If you can get close or to 3400 fps it will do the job.

NO,,, It's a Black Jug with a White label. and 29 grains is 3425 FPS

NO,,, It's a Black Jug with a White label. and 29 grains is 3425 FPS

That should work....unless that jug might be a mixture of military 8208 and 4895 or similar. If you are having a high ES that is a possibility in which re stirring the powder might help.

This is really good powder in my opinion. I've been told and I tend to agree that this powder is a vit powder and most likely n132. A couple doctors did some extensive lab work to come to this conclusion. This powder has graphite in it so it's a little dirty. Start at 29grains and work up. Some start at 27.5. I shoot mine around 29grains ish. Lee

I, too have heard that this is particular lot is not actually IMR powder. It was distributed through Bruno's 5 or 6 years ago. I have 4 jugs, and I haven't ever had a chance to try it. I know others have found a good combination with it.

If i remember correctly, lester tried this powder...it was available form one of the mil surplus powder
vendors. When he saw how good it was , he bought most of the lot and resold it through their store.

not true....
they quit selling to the public when he made his offer, but they did sell some prior to his purchase.

Yes and no one else got a chance to buy some,at the $10 per pound price either

Yes and no.
It came on to the web site for afew days.
Lester got all of the rest of the powder in the pull down
If I remember there were some packaged lots still around too.

So the answer is just what i said.

He bought most but not all.
What is so hard about saying that ??

Do you understand that lester had to find the powder, get some shipped, test and then negotiate a purchase.
The rest of us, regular customers, bought powder in that time frame.
NO, lester did not buy it all. he did buy all that was LEFT.

Yes and no.
It came on to the web site for afew days.
Lester got all of the rest of the powder in the pull down
If I remember there were some packaged lots still around too.

I bought some would be 8208 from Krazy.
It doesn't shoot, it's nothing at all like the other 8208 that i had in the past.

Back