Military surplus 8208

no idea who krazy is.
the three known reliable mil surplus powder resellers are
pat's reloading
gi brass
and some times
hitech

I bought some would be 8208 from Krazy.
It doesn't shoot, it's nothing at all like the other 8208 that i had in the past.

Hello,

Black jug 8208 acc122910 is not 8208. This powder was never in U.S. inventory as a powder, or loaded round. What I could find out through the Army Ammunition Activity (worked across the hall from them for a few years), is they had to run it against NATO database in Germany and found out that is was a machine gun 5.56 NATO ammo ordered and kept by another NATO partner, somewhere around 1980-1981. That's about all they could find out, without wasting to much time.

It is a clean pulldown powder. I haven't found any junk like the old 8208 had in it (wire, trash, etc). This lot of powder was bought by a person around St. Louis and sold. This is where Lester bought it from. But I bought a bunch from the original owner, several months after he sold some to Lester. A good while after that, I had called him back and he had no more, telling me that he sold the last 5000 lbs to a ammunition manufacturer, so I suspect the last of it did not go to Lester but who knows.

The biggest point here is to not confuse this stuff with 8208.

Hovis

I agree with Kevin on this. It is not the traditional 8208 you are thinking of, no matter what the label says. I showed the stuff, Lot # ACC122910 to a guy that knows way more about the process of making powder than all the rest of us combined. He had never seen or heard of it and told me it was not 8208.

I had about 12 jugs of it at one time and sold it. I could never get it to shoot like I wanted it to. The best luck I had with it was in my 30BR with the case stuffed as full as you could get.

Joe Hynes

Ok the 'GUY' was a milsurplus business. , a place that regularly sold milsurplus powder.

He is in the business of selling powder..on a regular basis.

Since you are saying "guy" i am guessing Pat, of Pat's Reloading.

AND it was sold as 8208....like it or not, actual imr 8208 or not.

Hello,

Black jug 8208 acc122910 is not 8208. This powder was never in U.S. inventory as a powder, or loaded round. What I could find out through the Army Ammunition Activity (worked across the hall from them for a few years), is they had to run it against NATO database in Germany and found out that is was a machine gun 5.56 NATO ammo ordered and kept by another NATO partner, somewhere around 1980-1981. That's about all they could find out, without wasting to much time.

It is a clean pulldown powder. I haven't found any junk like the old 8208 had in it (wire, trash, etc). This lot of powder was bought by a person around St. Louis and sold. This is where Lester bought it from. But I bought a bunch from the original owner, several months after he sold some to Lester. A good while after that, I had called him back and he had no more, telling me that he sold the last 5000 lbs to a ammunition manufacturer, so I suspect the last of it did not go to Lester but who knows.

The biggest point here is to not confuse this stuff with 8208.

Hovis

Last edited by a moderator:
Back