Mike Walker

C

cassidy

I was reading the Colt Forum tonight where they are reporting that Mike Walker died at the age of 101, anybody got anything further?
Paul Ryan

Well, we hope this is not the case. I tried to do a search on him, and I found that he was last know living in Asheville NC in a retierment home with his wife. This was an thread on 1911.com and he was 99 at that time. I could not find an obituary for a Mike Walked in that area, or any tht fit his description.

We in the shooting community are truly diminished. Mike was an icon of the innovative spirit of America. I was privileged to get to talk with him at a Super Shoot several years ago. Rest in peace. James Mock

I had talked with his wife last Fall and he was in the shop running his lathe. What a guy!!
I didn't bother him since he couldn't hear on the phone anymore.

I still wish PS mag had put his picture on the cover that Jeff Stover had taken at the 2010 IBS Nats at Weikert.
Mike was at the bench shooting HV200 at the time and at age 99. Again, what a guy!!

From the May 2010 issue of PS magazine "An Afternoon with Mike Walker" by Steve Adelmann the following highlights Mikes contributions: 1/Developed Remington 721, 722 and 700 actions, 2/ Developed the .222 Remington cartridge, 3/ Developed the Remington 40-X, 4/ Developed the first successful method of button rifling, 5/ early development of VLD bullets, 6/ Founding member of the NBSRA and IBS, 7/ Created Precision Shooting Magazine, 8/ In 1943-'44 helped design a 90 mm Tungsten-Carbide/Aluminum projectile that could penetrate the German Tiger Tanks. RIP Mike.

Mike at 2010 IBS Nationals

I just learned that Mike had passed away. I saw Mike a few times over the years, but did talk to him at the 2010 IBS Nationals. He was 99 in this photo. The guy was amazing and, at the time, truly a "living legend"-probably one of the few that actually deserves that title. In 2010 I recall the Mike was having some problems in one of the matches and that time was short. RO Mark Trutt (Weikert) could see that the rest of the line was done, except for Mike. The "cease fire" call did not come until Mike had finished his group-a tribute to a one of the greats.

I was very fortunate to get his autograph on my copy of "Modern Accuracy: The Story of Benchrest Shooting" by Wallack (1951). I have been collecting signatures on this volume for years. For those interested in benchrest history it is a must-have. I also have Lou Palmisano and Ferris Pindell's in the book as well. I was able to get those not long before both passed on.

Jeff

Attachments

• Mike Walker at IBS Nationals.jpg
    Mike Walker at IBS Nationals.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 433
Last edited:
Your kidding Brennen put a photo of a shooter on the ps cover?.
He stoped that long ago. For some reason he prefered a bluderbus .

I just learned that Mike had passed away. I saw Mike a few times over the years, but did talk to him at the 2010 IBS Nationals. He was 99 in this photo. The guy was amazing and, at the time, truly a "living legend"-probably one of the few that actually deserves that title. In 2010 I recall the Mike was having some problems in one of the matches and that time was short. RO Mark Trutt (Weikert) could see that the rest of the line was done, except for Mike. The "cease fire" call did not come until Mike had finished his group-a tribute to a one of the greats.

I was very fortunate to get his autograph on my copy of "Modern Accuracy: The Story of Benchrest Shooting" by Wallack (1951). I have been collecting signatures on this volume for years. For those interested in benchrest history it is a must-have. I also have Lou Palmisano and Ferris Pindell's in the book as well. I was able to get those not long before both passed on.

Jeff

Jeff,

Target Shooter magazine will do an obituary for Mike in our April issue. Would you permit us to use your photograph?

Incidentally Jeff, I don't know if you remember me but we met at the Benchrest Worlds in Austria a few years ago - I was part of the GB Team.

Many thanks
Vince (UK)

Vince - of course I remember you! I tried to forget about my shooting performance in Austria, though. :)

Use the photo freely as you need.

Jeff

Back