Melonite Barrel Treatment

bentley_ab

I have had a few barrels treated melonited, all have seen improved speed and cleaning aspects. I am wondering if there has been a big surge in the BR world with this treatment. Also if other barrels are respnding well to the process, all of mine have been PacNor 3 groove barrels in various contours. In most of the barrels I have also expierenced about 150fps gain with the same loads as prior to treatment. Just trying to see if other have expierenced similar results. As a side note mine have been 22,20,17 calibers. Adam

No, but that treatment is something I'd like to try this coming year. I'm really interested in it, as it sounds like something I've been looking for, for jeesh, 30 or more years.........

See now Bentley, NOW you've stepped up and created a problem.......

You're new here and don't know the backstory so I'll give you a liddle room, and bring you up to speed.

On this site are a whole BUNCH of folks who believe in their heart-of-hearts that coating their bullets with molybdenum disulphide or tungsten disulphide or hexagonal boride or dihedral monkey snot will make their bullets MORE SLIPPERIER.... and that BECAUSE the bullets are more slipperier they go down the bore with less resistance.

This SAME bunch of folks furthermore and forevermoreafter BELIEVE in their collective heart-of-hearts that the net result is a LOSS OF VELOCITY!!!!!

"MAke bullets more slipperier, LOse velocity."

It's the LAW.....

"everybody knows that"

and

"it stands to reason"

Then along comes YOU with your complete lack of prior understanding..... YOU step up with actual-factual experience to say that in YOUR opinion you've made your bore more slipperier AND YOUR BULLETS WENT FASTER!!!

HOGwash....

GOTTAbe hogwash.

it's the LAW!

:p

WELCOME to BRC, good to see a fresh perspective.

May your stay be long and fruitful

al

John Crawford had his 6 Grendel barrel treated and gained 50-60 fps and finished 4th (we think) at the 1000 yard nationals.
Lynn

John Crawford had his 6 Grendel barrel treated and gained 50-60 fps and finished 4th (we think) at the 1000 yard nationals.
Lynn

it just can't be!

"Everyone" (except HBC, Harold Vaughn, Robt L McCoy etc) KNOWS that less friction equals lower velocities!

"You gotta' build some pressure with resistance..."

EVERYBODY "knows" that ROUGH barrels raise velocity....

LOL

al

Al
Everyone including HBC,Harold Vaugh and McCoy knows you can increase your powder charge and regain any velocity loss associated with a less resistant bore.
LOLROFLMAO
Lynn

it just can't be!

"Everyone" (except HBC, Harold Vaughn, Robt L McCoy etc) KNOWS that less friction equals lower velocities!

"You gotta' build some pressure with resistance..."

EVERYBODY "knows" that ROUGH barrels raise velocity....

LOL

al

Ohmygod, I didn't know that. Lessee, pressure makes it go faster. Friction (sometimes knows as "drag") reduces speed. Less friction, goes faster. Seems pretty simple, seems to obey the laws of physics. (Except you don't "obey" physical laws, just the opposite. You pitch 'em out when they fail to describe.)

Smooth barrels are kinda like no-tread on tires, right? More friction until they start to slip, at which point they have less fricton. Wunner when they start to slip? Or is that only for rubber? Speaking of rubber and friction . . .

And you thought James Joyce could free-associate ;-)

Enough. Where is Joel hanging out these days, and what does the melonite treatment cost?

I had one done and have been shooting it all summer ( 30-284-1.650"). I had to increase the powder charge by .5g to re-gain the same accuracy level I had before it was treated. I haven't cronoed it. I'm mostly concerned with what the hole in the paper looks like. I will also add that accuracy has improved with use. It is a PacNor also.

Charlie,
First let me say 2 years ago that I was under the impression that that reduced friction would reduce velocity until I was informed this was not the case. This data was presented, barrel (A)100 round string velocity average before treatment. (Isonite QPQ) processed (A) barrel 100 round velocity average after treatment increased velocity barrel (A) 1%, under controlled testing same lot ammo and conditions. This is only data from one control group of 20 barrels QPQ processes. The velocity increase may effect the tune or harmonics of the barrel, new tune may be necessary after treatment.

Isonite QPQ process a barrel $60.00 each. If you need additional information contact me by e-mail joelkndrck@aol.com or cell 704-616-6442
Joel Kendrick

Charlie,
First let me say 2 years ago that I was under the impression that that reduced friction would reduce velocity until I was informed this was not the case. This data was presented, barrel (A)100 round string velocity average before treatment. (Isonite QPQ) processed (A) barrel 100 round velocity average after treatment increased velocity barrel (A) 1%, under controlled testing same lot ammo and conditions. This is only data from one control group of 20 barrels QPQ processes. The velocity increase may effect the tune or harmonics of the barrel, new tune may be necessary after treatment.

Isonite QPQ process a barrel $60.00 each. If you need additional information contact me by e-mail joelkndrck@aol.com or cell 704-616-6442
Joel Kendrick

Thank you Joel,

Another refreshing post offering some FACTS as opposed to unfounded opinion.......

Good On Ya

al

That's about what we've found on

the 57MM case, up to about 1/2 grain for the cryoed barrels. One fellow used 7 to 8/10 of a grain on the 7MM Weatherby to get it to "come back", as he put it.

Damn, Joel, we're friends, right? Don't call me Charlie. There's other name you can try (ask Tooley), but not that one.

Having gotten the important stuff out of the way, I'll call you as soon as I get a fresh barrel, which, with just a bit of testing, shows promise. Some of the tomato stakes I've gotten lately don't deserve a $60.000 tombstone.

Charles,
Sorry about that it was a mental error on my part. They don't let Tooley out much these days, too busy working.
I have a new 7mm blank being Chambered in 7mm RSAUM left it with Dave to work his magic then I can process it.
al,
Note: Larger cartridges (Mag) test data has shown velovity increases of 1.5% to 2% after QPQ barrel processing.

Back