Marauder first inpressions

I agree about the stocks. While a sort of flat forend where it sits on the bag is nice, and there is certainly little to no need for a "cheekweld" in airgun bench shooting, I think the trend of emulating the peculiar, exaggerated shapes of dedicated centerfire/rimfire benchrest stock designs is sometimes due to of a lack of experience with airguns, or because they are still shooting BR50, which used to severely favor really light guns.

Though those flat, lightweight plastic stocks do work well, so will a "normal" sporter shape, so long as the cheeekpiece isnt excessively high.

Grest Job Dan!!!!Did you produce all the custom parts?

Nice Job Dan: Have you posted any additional build information. Are any these parts commercially available: barrel, regulator etc. This really demonstrates to others what is possible starting with a commercially available air gun that is not tremendously expensive.

Here are some photos of my kid's marauder that I built for him, the same gun that he used to win the hunter division at the Nationals this year. It includes a hammer debouncer, regulator, indexable fast twist LW barrel, second air gauge, tighten bolt, and few other goodies. Good for over 100 shots at 17fpe.
Dan
_DPB9266.jpg

_DPB9267.jpg

_DPB9271.jpg

CIMG0067.jpg

I designed and built all the extras. The four main mods, barrel, reg, tank end cap, and hammer would cost about $670. Much more than the marauder costs new. For that you get a gun capable of about 110 shots at 17fpe(.177 cal) on a fill of 3k with two gauges, one that reads reg pressure. My kid has shot a 745 indoors at 25y with his. Hard to say if it is worth it, what other guns are available for under $1100 with similar specs?
Dan

Nice Job Dan: Have you posted any additional build information. Are any these parts commercially available: barrel, regulator etc. This really demonstrates to others what is possible starting with a commercially available air gun that is not tremendously expensive.

What about different improved parts kits, for example regulator kit. This area has really taken off in some guns for example 1911, ruger 10/22.

I designed and built all the extras. The four main mods, barrel, reg, tank end cap, and hammer would cost about $670. Much more than the marauder costs new. For that you get a gun capable of about 110 shots at 17fpe(.177 cal) on a fill of 3k with two gauges, one that reads reg pressure. My kid has shot a 745 indoors at 25y with his. Hard to say if it is worth it, what other guns are available for under $1100 with similar specs?
Dan

This is why I have been so interested in being able to buy a Benchrest Rifle ready to go. I guess there is nothing wrong with an upgrade as discribed above but it sure would a lot easier to simply buy a rifle ready to go then focus on reading the flags, at least from my point of view. One would think the Maker could learn something from this post. It seems to me that making canges in their production could allow them to make these rifles better and sell them at a cost less than the existing rifles with mods. How coud it hurt to have better rifles in the beginning?

Last edited:
Though the mods Dan lists are likely giving him more satisfaction than were the gun to be stock, it seems some of those mods were made for, and are more useful for Field Target shooting. There is nothing stopping you from buying a Marauder and using it in its stock configuration for 25M benchrest. NONE of the mods Dan listed are required, or even really more useful for benchrest shooting with that model, assuming you luck out a little, and get a barrel you like. And, IF your barrel is not good enough, you can even exchange it with Crosman for another.

I have a bone-stock .177 Marauder that shoots well with adjustments I made to the striker stroke and spring preload, transfer port throttle screw, and the various trigger stops and tension settings. The gun is not quite as accurate as my dedicated match guns, but really not so far off. Though it likely won't shoot many 250's indoors with it, I'm sure it can hold its own in many competitions outdoors in breezy conditions, where wind doping skill counts more than intrinsic pinpoint accuracy anyhow.

IF this particular gun's accuracy needs further improvement, the only requirement is a better barrel, there are NO other single improvement that would even approach the result of a great barrel for this gun, and then, I'm not sure how much it could benefit, since its darned accurate in stock form.

Though the mods Dan lists are likely giving him more satisfaction than were the gun to be stock, it seems some of those mods were made for, and are more useful for Field Target shooting. There is nothing stopping you from buying a Marauder and using it in its stock configuration for 25M benchrest. NONE of the mods Dan listed are required, or even really more useful for benchrest shooting with that model, assuming you luck out a little, and get a barrel you like. And, IF your barrel is not good enough, you can even exchange it with Crosman for another.

I have a bone-stock .177 Marauder that shoots well with adjustments I made to the striker stroke and spring preload, transfer port throttle screw, and the various trigger stops and tension settings. The gun is not quite as accurate as my dedicated match guns, but really not so far off. Though it likely won't shoot many 250's indoors with it, I'm sure it can hold its own in many competitions outdoors in breezy conditions, where wind doping skill counts more than intrinsic pinpoint accuracy anyhow.

IF this particular gun's accuracy needs further improvement, the only requirement is a better barrel, there are NO other single improvement that would even approach the result of a great barrel for this gun, and then, I'm not sure how much it could benefit, since its darned accurate in stock form.

The problem comes when one is to compete against the World Champion and several others who placed very well. It's a tough crowd and I see the futility in trying to make some off the shelf rifle shoot up to the level of the EV2 and or the Custom Rifles that are in the works. I am thinking the EV2 may not be competative once the customs come forward. This sport is going to change dramatically in a year or two.

Years ago, the Remington 600 and 700 series rifles were the "Way To GO' for CF Benchrest rifles. Custom actions and Benchrest Stocks changed it all forever. The same will aply to Air Rifles. No serious competitor would want to go to matches and hope for bad weather or that others shot poorly for them to do well. For that reason, the demand will be for rifles capable of winning every time. The only way to give the "Factory Rifle" a chance is to change the rules to keep them on equal footing. Simpy doing it by Ft Lbs of air ain't gonna get it done.

I think we need to be thinking of this as an IROC type situation. People with machines as near equal as possible is the only appropriate way for the sport to go. Let it be the shooter that makes the difference, not the equipment.

Last edited:
Thanks Larry i googled and a had a look at it.

I read with interest not just this thread but on others many people asking about getting a benchrest stock im just wondering what the big deal is about the stocks as these things dont really have recoil like a rimfire, my EV2 is a good case in point i have a wedge on the front rail to make it flat bottom but i am sure it is just for my head to think it will shoot better, it actually shoots the same either way and the it doesnt move :confused:

Bill, the big deal to me is I have been compeeting in Benchrest Shooting for almost 20 years, in one form or another. I have a rest and bags setup that I know works. I want my competition Air Rifle /'s to be able to use the same rests and bags I have now. There has to be a compelling reason why the Benchrest Sports have zeroed in on a bench setup, wouldn't you think?

For the past 10 years or so I have not been interested in anything but First Place. Silver or Bronze has no real meaning to me or many of we Benchrest shooters who have been at it for a long time, I believe. My relity is I know what is coming and I don't want to waste my time and resources limping to get there. I am too old now to be willing to Limp Along.

If you were to look over on the RF forum and read the thread about the Falcon Right Bolt, Left Port, Right Eject actions/rifles you would see that Mr Beaty has listned to folks who know what they want and has given it to them. This is an unusual situation in our Benchrest Sports but there is a lesson in it, I believe. The numbers of actions used in that thread don't lie.

It has always irked me to go someplace to purchase something and to have someone say to me. " you don't want that". The Heck I didn't, I went there to buy it :).

Pete,

Many shooters agree with you and are actively pursuing better equipment than the typical factory fare. Do not apologize for having a different opinion. Many of the top shooters can tell of their experience with high end but factory rifles that will never match the results of the factory test target.

Nothing wrong with promoting a product. Sponsorship and advertising are marketing tools, every company does it. In the past, forums used banners somewhere on your screen to garner your attention and identify advertisers. Posters that had a financial relationship would disclose their benefactor. Things are changing.

Beware the opinions that come from shills promoting the latest barrel fads. Some forums and posters are becoming the new infomercials without the warning notice.

Surely, most shooters know all of this and I only bring it up to benefit any that may not. Have a great New Year.

Pete,

Many shooters agree with you and are actively pursuing better equipment than the typical factory fare. Do not apologize for having a different opinion. Many of the top shooters can tell of their experience with high end but factory rifles that will never match the results of the factory test target.

Nothing wrong with promoting a product. Sponsorship and advertising are marketing tools, every company does it. In the past, forums used banners somewhere on your screen to garner your attention and identify advertisers. Posters that had a financial relationship would disclose their benefactor. Things are changing.

Beware the opinions that come from shills promoting the latest barrel fads. Some forums and posters are becoming the new infomercials without the warning notice.

Surely, most shooters know all of this and I only bring it up to benefit any that may not. Have a great New Year.

One would think they would be listening to us instead of creating static, eh?

There are a number of rifles that can get someone started in air rifle bench rest . Lets say 235 -240 rifles . Then with some mod. they may make a 240 -245 rifle . To come by the 3 - 5 points needed to compete at the world level is the hard part . My scores at the worlds were not what I had hoped for . I went into the Worlds thinking that 245 -247 AV. wood be needed to place . I am sure that this well be needed ( or higher ) soon . Bench Rest shooting is striving for perfection . To do well every thing must be right , barrel ,trigger, air delivery , pellets , rest , and last but not least shooter . Air rifle bench rest is so interesting to me because of having so many variables , and the fact that 250 are so hard to come by . Working on rifles, mental preparation , and shooting is a never ending endeavor . May the thrill of the 10X be with us forever .

There are a number of rifles that can get someone started in air rifle bench rest . Lets say 235 -240 rifles . Then with some mod. they may make a 240 -245 rifle . To come by the 3 - 5 points needed to compete at the world level is the hard part . My scores at the worlds were not what I had hoped for . I went into the Worlds thinking that 245 -247 AV. wood be needed to place . I am sure that this well be needed ( or higher ) soon . Bench Rest shooting is striving for perfection . To do well every thing must be right , barrel ,trigger, air delivery , pellets , rest , and last but not least shooter . Air rifle bench rest is so interesting to me because of having so many variables , and the fact that 250 are so hard to come by . Working on rifles, mental preparation , and shooting is a never ending endeavor . May the thrill of the 10X be with us forever .

Very well stated Rick. I am quite certain we are on the cusp of this sport exploding here in America.

am using a 22 caliber untuned marauder for squirrel hunting and just purchased aa 25 caliber tuned and custom made by talon tunes in jacksonville and shoots benjamin pellets great at 50 yards and my talon tuned 25 shoots jsb kings great....i have two scba bottles that hold 4500 psi and can re-fill at work so all is good, loves my pellett guns...

Wayne; Green Moutain Barrel in Conway NH makes the Marauder .25 Barrel's for Crosman, BUT gota buy 100 min.....Franky

Back