Lots of questions....ignorant new guy :)

L

Lead Slanger

Hello everyone! First post....I had someone send me over. He said this is where the answers would be, so here I am. :)

Here's the deal....I'm completely ignorant to rebarreling a rifle and I have one I would like to have done. I would like to take the first rifle I ever bought, a 700 Remington, and get it set up for target shooting, that way it would see some use again. Problem is, I don't know anything about it and need some advice.

Here's what I have....
Model 700 Remington BDL w/ factory DBM chambered in 30.06

Here's what I'd like to do....
26" Heavy/Varmint contour barrel chambered in 6.5 x55 Swede
Bell & Carlson medalist stock (or similar)

Here's what I want to do with it and what I expect out of it....
No competitions, Fun only.
At least 1/2 MOA

I talked briefly with my local gunsmith and he said if I provided him a barrel blank, that he could chamber it and get it installed for around $300. If I wanted the action trued also, it would be around $500 for everything. He said if I wanted to get the most accuracy out of it, he would have the action trued.

Is it worth the extra money ($200) to have the action trued?
What kind of results could I expect if I didn't have it done?
Are the prices he quoted reasonable?

As you can tell, I'm totally ignorant to this so please bear with me.

Thanks for the help!

Lead you've done the right thang! The cure for ignorance is........... ask questions!

:)

There are no dumb questions on this board, we is gennlemens here.

I feel your local gunsmith is treating you fairly, YES I'd recommend the full-meal-deal, it's worth the two hundred dollars IMO

Yes, the setup should be capable of 1/2moa accuracy with the right bullets (AND brass prep, AND stock fitment, AND load technique, AND ability, AND, AND, AND...) there is a learning curve but you have set reasonable goals.

I see nothing to keep you from proceeding.

al

rifle build

if you want to talk to more people there is a match in Pencil Bluff, Ark on Aug 17 and 18. there will be folks there that can show you what to expect and how to start finding stuff. what part of the state are you in?

there may even be a gunsmith there that does accuracy work. this last statement cannot be emphasized enough. not all smiths understand the accuracy you may want [or need]

send a pm and i will get you some phone numbers
luck-ray

If you are in Northwest Arkansas I am in Northeast Oklahoma and would be glad to help you out you can come over and visit if you want and see some projects similar to what you are wanting

Process of elimination

Hello everyone! First post....I had someone send me over. He said this is where the answers would be, so here I am. :)

Here's the deal....I'm completely ignorant to rebarreling a rifle and I have one I would like to have done. I would like to take the first rifle I ever bought, a 700 Remington, and get it set up for target shooting, that way it would see some use again. Problem is, I don't know anything about it and need some advice.

Here's what I have....
Model 700 Remington BDL w/ factory DBM chambered in 30.06

Here's what I'd like to do....
26" Heavy/Varmint contour barrel chambered in 6.5 x55 Swede
Bell & Carlson medalist stock (or similar)

Here's what I want to do with it and what I expect out of it....
No competitions, Fun only.
At least 1/2 MOA

I talked briefly with my local gunsmith and he said if I provided him a barrel blank, that he could chamber it and get it installed for around $300. If I wanted the action trued also, it would be around $500 for everything. He said if I wanted to get the most accuracy out of it, he would have the action trued.

Is it worth the extra money ($200) to have the action trued?
What kind of results could I expect if I didn't have it done?
Are the prices he quoted reasonable?

As you can tell, I'm totally ignorant to this so please bear with me.

Thanks for the help!

You may or may not gain accuracy by having the action trued. If you are trying to spend your money wisely - and are trying to get the best accuracy potential for your buck, you should do the following (in order):

1. Completely bed the action (no barrel block)
2. Replace the barrel with a benchrest grade hand-lapped barrel
3. Get the scope mounted properly
4. True the action

For a facile way to execute step 3, you can get the Burris Signature rings with the eccentric plastic ring inserts so the scope can be mounted parallel with the mounts in a stress-free condition.

If you plan on using Lapua brass for the 6.5 Swede (you should), you will need the bolt face opened 0.010 and a different extractor (or a modified extractor) installed.

Greg Walley
Kelbly’s Inc.

If you want to shoot 6.5 bullets I would recommend a 6.5-06.

No modifications to bolt or extractor and feeding from the magazine would be simple.

A barrel chambered in .260 would also work without the above modifications. The 6.5 bullets tend to be long, so a long action would be ideal chambered in .260.

Nothing wrong with the Swede I shoot one with a Krieger barrel; but the action (Model 70) started out as a 6.5X55.

If you really only want to shoot targets, and want a 6.5 mm, you might consider a 6.5 x 47 Lapua. Less recoil usually translates to better gun handling and more accuracy.

If you want to shoot 6.5 bullets I would recommend a 6.5-06.

No modifications to bolt or extractor and feeding from the magazine would be simple.

A barrel chambered in .260 would also work without the above modifications. The 6.5 bullets tend to be long, so a long action would be ideal chambered in .260.

Nothing wrong with the Swede I shoot one with a Krieger barrel; but the action (Model 70) started out as a 6.5X55.

I originally wanted to go with a model 12 Savage target action in a .260, but figured since I had the 700 that I wasn't using, to just go ahead and build it. I picked the 6.5 Swede because it's a long action cartridge and nearly identical to the .260....so to speak. So the .260 would work well in the long action? (Remember, I'm new to this) :)

+1 on going with the 260, don`t forget the trigger, I`d recommend a Jewell trigger. Best money ever spent on a target rifle. Trying to get 1/2" accuracy with a factory trigger is tough.
I`ll also through out there, you need to have optics that are going to do the job. Not trying to bash any particular brand, but your trusty 4x Bushnell that may be fine for a hunting rifle, will not be the ticket. 20x or higher magnification, clear glass, and repeatable windage and elevation adjustments are requirements for accuracy! Try a Leupold 6.5x20 or Weaver 6x24 on a budget.
Just my $.02
Jeff

Pay attention to Mr. Walley's remarks.

As for truing the action, it is a matter of odds. Let's say there were 100,000 Remington Model 700s built. Ten, twenty, thirty or so of them came from the factory fully as accurate as any benchrest rifle ever built, if you feed them the right podwer & bullets & etc. Of those, a couple were probably chambered in something huge -- .458 Win Mag, and we'll never know. There is an equal number on the other side of the curve that just won't respond to anything, they'll always be junk.

That leaves a huge number spread out over a long, long bell-shaped curve. There is an equivalent curve with custom rifles, but it's much shorter -- the worst is still equal to a pretty good Factory rifle.

What you are doing with truing the action is to move that action way down on the curve -- unless it was already there. There is also bolt timing, all kinds of things with ignition that may or may not be included in "truing."

The same with the custom barrel, and it's fitting. Likely it will be better, just maybe not.

I get the feeling this is a sentimental rifle, keeping it going is more important than the last bit of accuracy.

Do pay attention to chambering. The thing with the .30/06 is, it is a very accurate cartridge. Look at what German Salazar has done with it

http://riflemansjournal.blogspot.com/2012/05/cartridges-accuracy-secrets-of-30-06_13.html

& some of his other articles on the same blog.

But: fairly stiff recoil. Yet a 6.5x55 Swede, with that 140-grain bullet, is going to come back right smartly too. And that's the bullet a standard (SAAMI) chambering reamer is apt to be be throated for, a 140-grainer. In the 6.5, 120-grain bullets are a lot nice to shoot.

So, I'd slow down a little, even with the dreaming, and decide what's most important to you. Then spend what it takes to get there & don't look back.

Good luck with it. I have a couple of those myself, including a pre-A model 52 Winchester rimfire.

Another aspect

Lead, check the web sites of Hart barrel, Shilen, Lilja, Bartlien, Krieger and confirm that they will take your barrelled action and put on a new SS or chrome moly barrel after they true the action.
I had two Remingtons done by Hart and Shilen and am very well pleased.
You have a few decisions to make but to use your existing stock these guys do this every day.
Check out their reamer list.

If and when you want to get to a Benchrest quality action, well that is another story.
Centerfire

I think I've come to a decision....

After reading over your comments (Thank you by the way!) and talking to other folks, I've realized that I can't cut any corners if I want a consistent accurate rifle. After adding it up for the barrel, stock, trigger and gunsmithing, what's another $400 - $500 for an action that's a lot better than what I have? I figure I need all the help I can get, so I'd rather have the action I wanted to start out with....a Model 12 Savage, right bolt left port target action. It would be a lot stiffer action than what I have now. A short action, single shot closed top receiver vs a long action open top repeater.....that's a no brainer.

After reading over your comments (Thank you by the way!) and talking to other folks, I've realized that I can't cut any corners if I want a consistent accurate rifle. After adding it up for the barrel, stock, trigger and gunsmithing, what's another $400 - $500 for an action that's a lot better than what I have? I figure I need all the help I can get, so I'd rather have the action I wanted to start out with....a Model 12 Savage, right bolt left port target action. It would be a lot stiffer action than what I have now. A short action, single shot closed top receiver vs a long action open top repeater.....that's a no brainer.

As long as you are headed down that slippery slope (most of us have been there;)), take a look at a real benchrest action before you spend your money. There was a recent thread comparing a Savage to a custom action. You might want to do a search for it and read it.

Look in these classifieds for a used BR rifle.

Dude! There are a couple of great rifles for sale. I just looked. Even a 6.5X284.

Bruno has a new Savage.

Lots of stuff for half price of new.

Last edited:
Well Lookie Lookie.....you know who my local gunsmith is don't you? :)

Slanger, before you jump into whatever project you ultimately choose, I encourage you to contact at least two other riflesmiths to compare pricing and lead times. Local doesn't necessarily mean good or convenient. Call Mickey Coleman (you can find his info on BR Central's home page), for example.

It's your money, so spend it wisely. :)

Were I you, I'd keep the Rem 700 the way it is, and buy something else to scratch your current itch. And I would choose a 6BR. Extremely accurate, low recoil, many excellent reloading components readily available.

Slanger, before you jump into whatever project you ultimately choose, I encourage you to contact at least two other riflesmiths to compare pricing and lead times. Local doesn't necessarily mean good or convenient. Call Mickey Coleman (you can find his info on BR Central's home page), for example.

It's your money, so spend it wisely. :)

Were I you, I'd keep the Rem 700 the way it is, and buy something else to scratch your current itch. And I would choose a 6BR. Extremely accurate, low recoil, many excellent reloading components readily available.

I think that's what I'm gonna do for right now. After adding the cost, I think I'll buy a factory rifle and have some fun. I still want to rebarrel my 700 and chamber it in 6.5 Swede, but that will be for a later date.

Accrate rifle

Lead slinger
Check your private messages
T Sims

Back