Looking for me a good Lathe

grizzly- southbend is a name only- chicom mfg-(I do not know if it worth that much more than there standard line). Generally the best of which are from Taiwan. More attention is spent on fit and finish as well as better bearings. That could have changed since I bought mine though. Only problem with old iron that everyone raves about, but convienetly forgets to mention, is the amount of time and money need to restore to good operating condition. Thats ok if you have the abilities, if not $$$$$$$$$$$. ( could call this a reality check I suppose)

grizzly- southbend is a name only- chicom mfg-(I do not know if it worth that much more than there standard line). Generally the best of which are from Taiwan. More attention is spent on fit and finish as well as better bearings. That could have changed since I bought mine though. Only problem with old iron that everyone raves about, but convienetly forgets to mention, is the amount of time and money need to restore to good operating condition. Thats ok if you have the abilities, if not $$$$$$$$$$$. ( could call this a reality check I suppose)
The SB is in fact made in Taiwan, not in China. South Bend is a stand alone company, and not part of Grizzly. SB remains an American company, and owned by an American. Shiraz could manufacture that line right here in the USA, but, it isn't economically feasible, without doubling the price for the equipment.

Precision Matthews 1340GST lathe looks nice. It's a Taiwan made machine. It is made In the same plant that makes the Acer Lathes. I used Acer 1340 in Gun school along with a South Bend Heavy 10. Acer is a nice Gearhead machine. Guess I'm old school when it comes to lathes. I like them Belt Driven machines!!

Johnny, when cutting Metric, do you have to leave the half nut engaged all of the time on these, reversing the machine to return the carriage.

I ask because all of our newer machines, (Mazak, Kingston, Whacheon), that cut both TPI and Metric, you have to because of the TPI lead screw.

Jackie on my old Harrison 140 metric I could disengage half huts and wind back then pick up off the thread dial before re engaging.
On the M300 supposedly metric your supposed to be able to disengage as above but found in practice it never lines up. Subsequently I have to reverse feed and power back every pass bit of a grueller with long ultra fine threads needing no slop.

Chance, Clausing and Colchester are made by the Brits.

Know why the Brits don't make computers?

They haven't figured out how to make them leak oil!!

Both mine been alright there again could go Asian as in Chinese and it break in no time and not get parts.

Between dad and I we have a few lathes. A Colchester, a Harrison, two Clausings, and even a big Nordic 15. That said, nearly all of our chambering is done on a 40's vintage South Bend Heavy 10. Whenever anyone asks me about a good value gunsmithing lathe, I point them in that direction. I have no experience with the new ones but the vintage 10's are stout.

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

I have a Enco 12x36 Belt drive lathe currently and it does good benchrest quality work but im just looking to add another Good Barreling lathe to my shop as well. Mike Bryant thanks for all your help.

I have a Enco 12x36 Belt drive lathe currently and it does good benchrest quality work but im just looking to add another Good Barreling lathe to my shop as well. Mike Bryant thanks for all your help.

Why not get another exactly like it? No learning curve and it seems like you can make it do what you need it to do

The more I think about it my Enco 12x36 is just as Good of a Barreling lathe as any Heavy 10. When I do get a new Lathe I should get me a nice Gearhead machine. Been looking at several different ones. Leblond Regal, Nardini, Precision Matthews 1340GST, Kent, Acer just to name a few.

I have a Heavy 10;

had it since 1968. I like it OK but would rather have a lathe with a beefier cross slide that is ground flat and more usable for indicating, mounting a DRO , etc, etc. and with a longer bed. SB 10's are great machines for the time they were designed and made in. They didn't seem to make small changes like I just described that would make them even more attractive, to me at least. At some point, I will sell mine and buy something more modern. Guess I would consider a Grizzly Gunsmith lathe, all said and done.

First comes a better small mill, in a couple of weeks. I have decided to buy a Grizzly 0759 and be done with it. To me, for the hobby stuff I do, that one looks best for me. I need a light weight machine because of where the machine has to live and I don't want to be futzing with mounting DRO stuff, etc. I have a Little Machineshop mill now but want something MORE.

Pete

Last edited:
Back