Look what this guy uses to clean brass.

i hate say i said so but i did......
i'm pretty sure these are guys that have followed my threads on cleaning brass...
i run 90% of my brass one hour in fine ground corn cob with a small amount of nufinish car polish....vibrator type machine( mine are dillon 2000's)
most looks like new in one hour.
i sell brass for a living...when people look at mey brass they say " is this new ?"
mostly once fired from an indoor range.
Take a look here and note that his before picture was tumbled in walnut media and Nu Finish for 24 hours:

http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?p=6212873#post6212873

gt40

ooohhhh go read his whole post...it was a wet/bb clean then walnut for 24 HOURS with nufinish.

there is retail clean...bright and shinny on the outside......1 hour/nufinish..with reasonable brass...2 hours for outdoor 223 brass...4 hours for outdoor mil brass.
then there are black powder shooters...clean in and out...the best i have heard, and not used yes is ss pins dry......
if you look at his brass , it has a red color to it. i would scrap that brass as it looks like the copper maybe seperating from the tin.
(ps...walnut for dirty brass, corn cob for polish and clean..i have used walnut once in 4 years..it was to clean tarnished bullets...not on brass)

mike in co

I have to say, I'm a recent convert to the stainless pins with Lemi Shine and water in Thumblers Tumbler. After two hours my brass is every bit as clean as that in the example. Especially important to me is the interior and primer pocket are clean as well.

Roger Q.

rotary or vibrator ?
I have to say, I'm a recent convert to the stainless pins with Lemi Shine and water in Thumblers Tumbler. After two hours my brass is every bit as clean as that in the example. Especially important to me is the interior and primer pocket are clean as well.

Roger Q.

As Mike intimated the Lemishine may actually be attacking the brass. Not a problem with most uses of copper based alloys, but with cartridge brass I don't want anything that might attack my cases. They have a hard enough life as it is.

I just throw the brass I shot over the weekend in my Lyman Turbotumbler with plain old acorn media and tumble till shiny. I know it is unnecessary but I like clean shiny brass .

He actually said
"Forgot to mention the before pics were after the cases were rolled in walnut media with nu finish added for 24hrs."

Which would seem to translate into the crappy dirty looking brass in the the before pics had been tumbled with walnut and nushine and still looked crappy.

Last edited:
No need for any of that

Hi Guys,
When it comes to keeping brass clean there is no need to invest in ultrasonic cleaners, turbo tumblers or anything else. Just do what I have done before any of these things were being manufactued. A two minute wash in carbon tetrachloride and allow them to air dry. The whole process including drying time about 10 minutes. The CTC completly dissolves the carbon from inside the cases and leaves them looking like new inside and out. Just reuse the CTC for years.
Andy.

ok where can one buy carbon tet these days ??/

sorry but i do hundreds of pounds a week....bright and shinny is what the retail customer wants.

mike in co

virg,
you mean polish or clean ?
clean brass is easier on the dies and the chamber...polished brass...sells well....
clean is all one needs for benchrest or hunting.....
mike in co
Why clean brass. Used to; but now...nope.

Mike: I do'nt think you can buy carbon tet without a handful of papers. Find someone who even know's what you are talking about.

Mike: I do'nt think you can buy carbon tet without a handful of papers. Find someone who even know's what you are talking about.

My dad used tri clorol etheline (sp?) when I was a boy to clean cases. I haven`t seen referance to either cleaner in years, and agree finding any would be a chore.

As Mike intimated the Lemishine may actually be attacking the brass. Not a problem with most uses of copper based alloys, but with cartridge brass I don't want anything that might attack my cases. They have a hard enough life as it is.

Lemishine leaches zinc out of the alloy at the surface. Some brass turns pink. This color disappears after a short tumble in clean, untreated walnut.

The active ingredient in Leminshine for our purposes is citric acid, same as used for canning food.

I'll continue to use Lemishine as one component of cleaning brass. It does not create structural problems or measurable dimension changes.

No purchase issues

Yep you can still get CTC or Trichloroethane in Oz but any quantity over 2 1/2 litres per year and you need a permit. Perhaps in the US things are wound up much tighter. It doesn't just clean the brass it leaves it shiny. It won't polish out pits and other surface defects but they do look like they have been polished.
Andy.

virg,
you mean polish or clean ?
clean brass is easier on the dies and the chamber...polished brass...sells well....
clean is all one needs for benchrest or hunting.....
mike in co

To clarify; I just wipe it with an old rag to get any deposits off, then reload...works for me.
virg

Andy, I don't think carbon tetrachloride is the same thing as Trichloroethane. I believe the latter is a similar replacement, which would not so immediately kill you.

They are different

The two compounds are chemically different. They will both do the same job. Handeling dangerous chemicals isn't a problem. I generally refrain from snorting, ingesting or bathing in the stuff.
Andy.

Back