Long Gun storage

J

JRLesan@embarqm

I need semi secure storage for long guns as my safes are full. The problem is the area I have available is only 20" deep and 7' wide. No one seems to make a safe for single stack long guns i. e. I don't want to put rows in front of rows as they suffer abuse when removing. Any one know of a shallow dimensioned safe? I am not opposed to ganging 2 or 3 together to get 7' of storage, nor am I opposed to maybe redoing the interior if necessary. Thanks...

Think about building a secret panel for semi secure storage.

I have seen some neat ones over the years. One as I recall had the lever to open it on the other side of the wall in another room.

As far as semi secure even a hallway closet with a solid core or metal door with steel jam and pinned hinges works well.

You would most likely need two doors, for seven feet, installed side by side.

By semi secure, I mean the safes or whatever will be in a safe room. The area in question is 7' wide but only 20" or so deep. Visitors are seldom allowed other than family, but I don't want th guns 'on diplay' so to speak. A custom wood cabinet was my original thought, but in the unlikely event someone was to break in, let's make it as hard as possible and maybe they'll go someplace else.

John S. is on to something there.

My dad is/was a carpenter and has done a fair amount of hidey holes for folks. Some pretty trippy stuff including secret passageways thruout a house.

He built a hidey hole for his rifles and such in his office that is about the same size your talking. Picture a built in desk with book cases above it. The bookcases are about 6' long and split in the middle. After the secret latch is disengaged, one shelf slides to the side into the wall and the other is hinged, swinging out. Simple yet ingenious..

Your only limited by your imagination, or lack thereof.... Go for it & do the #007 thing.

Rod

Long Gun Storage is always a pain to figure out lol. But maybe that is a blessing. Finding a decent safe that is 20" deep is a challenge. To solve the issue you had mentioned about the abuse when removing, I find it nicer to store the gun muzzle down.

Post what safe you decide in.

Good Shooting,

Jason Lumetta
ExtremeGunCare

If your potential storage area is to be in your home and you have a bed in your home I saw a safe that goes under your bed.
This would negate the need for vertical storage.
Hope this helps.
Centerfire

You might try Bass Pro shops...they have several that would fit your needs and are not particularily expensive. I use two for my gun storage

As an update, I should have made it more clear that 7 feet long by 20 inches deep did not refer to a lay down safe that is horizontal. At any rate, I found a Sentry safe at TSC for $300.00 each that is 17" wide by 17" deep. I will gang 5 and fill up my available wall space nicely. The only consideration is whether I can change combinations on the 3 number dial type lock. Remembering 5 more sequential series of numbers is a severe obstacle. A call to the company was a waste of time as the best answer I could pry out of them was "a locksmith can do it." Tractor supply showed me literature that comes with the safe, but no mention of changing combo. Guess I might buy one and experiment...Anyone out there know???

I started storing mine muzzle down too. It stops the recoil pad from flattening over time.
Long Gun Storage is always a pain to figure out lol. But maybe that is a blessing. Finding a decent safe that is 20" deep is a challenge. To solve the issue you had mentioned about the abuse when removing, I find it nicer to store the gun muzzle down.

Post what safe you decide in.

Good Shooting,

Jason Lumetta
ExtremeGunCare

The only consideration is whether I can change combinations on the 3 number dial type lock. Remembering 5 more sequential series of numbers is a severe obstacle. A call to the company was a waste of time as the best answer I could pry out of them was "a locksmith can do it." Tractor supply showed me literature that comes with the safe, but no mention of changing combo. Guess I might buy one and experiment...Anyone out there know???

Yes you can if you can get the correct change key to fit through the back of the lock. It's a trade only tool and will be difficult for a non-locksmith to obtain. Different lock mfg's keys are slightly different and if you use the wrong key (they all look pretty much alike) you might end up with a drifting combo. You might consider that five different combinations offer additional security than if they are all the same. One unlocked safe can give a clever thief the combo to the others. If you still want them with a common combo you might consider the cost and difficulty of obtaining the correct key, the possibility of creating a safe with a drifting combination (even with the correct key this is a real possibility, experience counts here) compared to the cost of a service call from a bonded locksmith. If you were to take off the inner door panels on all the safes for the convenience of the locksmith the cost per safe would be modest. Don't even try this without the right tool.

Good luck!

Greg

Last edited by a moderator:
I started storing mine muzzle down too. It stops the recoil pad from flattening over time.

Hello Jay,

I always store my long guns and my customer long guns muzzle down. I even tell museums that we have dealt with, muzzle down. There are numerous reasons why. You had mentioned for the recoil pad. When a person "over does it" with the lube/oil and the gun is stored muzzle up. Well guess what, that lube/oil seeps downward. That can damage the stock.

A prime example is a Model 12 Shotgun. The stock is right there in the back soaking up what ever you have done to clean the shotgun. I see it so often when I clean guns. I say no matter what the gun is, store if muzzle down.

Just FYI, Patriot Safes makes a nice little "Closet" Safe. I carry the LEO Series, but I can get any of their series.

Good Shooting,

Jason Lumetta
ExtremeGunCare

Back