Like those ER 40's !

Pete,

To echo what Skeetlee said, I rely a lot on the dial indicators. Though I charecterized the dials against DI and DTIs, I still do not rely. on them.

Here is my little lathe, a 1024. The 1236 that shows a set thru chuck has a TravAdial, which I like a lot, but would not spend 500 for a reconditioned one to put on the 1024.

I picked up a NIB Travadial and universal mount a couple of years ago and haven't got around to installing it yet. So, maybe mine could be worth more than $500? One strange thing about my 12 X 36 is that the threading dial is mounted on the left side of the saddle.

I picked up a NIB Travadial and universal mount a couple of years ago and haven't got around to installing it yet. So, maybe mine could be worth more than $500? One strange thing about my 12 X 36 is that the threading dial is mounted on the left side of the saddle.

If you look at mine it is mounted to the right 8of the threading dial. the horizontal section of the mount has a window cut for the dial. Caveat, you lose considerable Z travel, in fact one time this decided he could only chamber between centers we has to remove the TravaDial

Yup, check evilBay for the pricing, crazy

Last edited:
I moved mine

I just moved my threading dial to the right side. Transfer punched for a new hole, drilled and tapped it. There ain't much meat there but there was enough for the threads to support the dial. I have used it and cut a good tenon on a new barrel so it works fine.

I am struggling a bit trying to find out how to select feed speeds. Can any of you direct me to a good chart ? The charts I down loaded from the internet are for machines with conventional levers for the gear box. Do change gears get involved? I am guessing yes?

Found what looked like a good micrometer stop for it so took a shot and bought one. It came yesterday. It's pretty good. Worth the $40. I think.

Pete

Last edited:
There are a couple of good YouTubes

made by a guy named Schroder who has a smaller similar lathe who has made a bunch of upgrades to his. He converted his to a DC motor but said if he were to do it again, he would use a VFD instead. Got me to thinking a little bit - - - -. Wish I had thought of that last fall :(.

Pete

I just moved my threading dial to the right side. Transfer punched for a new hole, drilled and tapped it. There ain't much meat there but there was enough for the threads to support the dial. I have used it and cut a good tenon on a new barrel so it works fine.

I am struggling a bit trying to find out how to select feed speeds. Can any of you direct me to a good chart ? The charts I down loaded from the internet are for machines with conventional levers for the gear box. Do change gears get involved? I am guessing yes?

Found what looked like a good micrometer stop for it so took a shot and bought one. It came yesterday. It's pretty good. Worth the $40. I think.

Pete

Pete, the charts that came with my lathe do show gear configurations for feed speeds. I had to change my gear configuration to get the feeds I needed. Here's a picture on one of the charts.

DSCN0658.jpg

and here's a picture of the feed selection levers on my lathe. For some reason I keep getting an invalid URL error message from Benchrest.com when I try to insert the image. So here is a link to the picture on Photobucket.

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg182/adamsgt/lathe gears/DSCN0654.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks,

Pete, the charts that came with my lathe do show gear configurations for feed speeds. I had to change my gear configuration to get the feeds I needed. Here's a picture on one of the charts.

View attachment 19587

and here's a picture of the feed selection levers on my lathe. For some reason I keep getting an invalid URL error message from Benchrest.com when I try to insert the image. So here is a link to the picture on Photobucket.

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg182/adamsgt/lathe gears/DSCN0654.jpg

Thanks for posting the pictures. What I finally came to understand was the chart on the belt guard was the same as you have posted. Once I looked at it and thought about it some, I realized that I only needed to change one or two gears to slow down the feed. I am going to try that this afternoon to see how it performs. Thanks for your help.

p.s.

the photobucket link is inundated with adds that make it a fight to look at anything else ! :(.

Pete

Back