Learning how to use a Lathe

F

Fred Nickel

Hey Guys,

Are there any DVD Based or Online courses that I could use to learn the basics of using a Metal Lathe? I'd like to pick up a small lathe, learn some of the basics, and see if "personal" gunsmithing is something that would interest me.

Fred

The textbook "Machine Tool Practices" was essential for me. Try ebay. There are several copies there starting at $9.95

is there a trade school or junior college in the area...some offer basic lathe /mill classes...

mike in co

Thanks for the replies Guys .....

And I'm looking at the BOCES and Junior College Course Offering too ..... Thanks

Youtube:

There are a number of Videos on all Machineshop practices on Youtube. Some of the best and most enjoyable are done by a man named Tubalcain. Tubalcain is a retired Shop teacher and proceeds as if everyone is looking at what he is teaching for the first time. I both enjoy and highly recommend them.

Just came back from youtube .... searched on "tubalcain" ..... and then watched a few. I think I'm really gonna like his stuff.

Thanks Pete .....

Just came back from youtube .... searched on "tubalcain" ..... and then watched a few. I think I'm really gonna like his stuff.

Thanks Pete .....

He's fun to watch and the clips aren't too long, easier to re-watch. There are a few I have watched a couple of times.

Didn't see it mentioned, but the AGI (American gun smith institute) has machining dvd's including lathe and mill.

When I was first really starting to use my lathe I bought the Lathe Learnin DVDs from Precisionmeasure.com. It was about 8 hrs of instruction for $125. I thought they were very good.

Hey Guys,

Are there any DVD Based or Online courses that I could use to learn the basics of using a Metal Lathe? I'd like to pick up a small lathe, learn some of the basics, and see if "personal" gunsmithing is something that would interest me.

Fred
Unfortunately Fred, much of the information you'll get about how to use a lathe will not apply if you use modern tools. With todays tooling, much of what you read or see may not apply to your lathe. In some cases, even the HSS tools won't act the way they did years ago cause the HSS's have changed (now they're something else).

When you go to buy say, a roughing tool that uses inserts. All those tools will be geared toward use in production machines and are going to give significantly less tool life when used in a lathe like we stick in our garages. It's just a fact of life. It's still the best tool you can get, it's just that you're not going to get the most out of it. Accept that, somewhat. At work, I'd say if I take an 80 deg insert and put it in the CNC, it'll cut 50-100x as much material without needing replaced as it would if I was to use it in the engine lathe. And I'm talking about a medium heavy, decent engine lathe. At proper feed, speed, and with high pressure coolant, these inserts live just about forever. Unfortunately, most engine lathes won't have the capability to do the first two, and you won't want to use the third cause it's such a mess.

If it is at all possible, please, find a person who is willing to stop in and give some advice on how the machine works. Do this with a real human standing around supervising. I'm not saying this for safety sake, though that's a great idea too. I'm saying it cause there are things about machining that seem counterintuitive. The basics really should be learned correctly the first time, not, learned once wrong then re-learned later the hard way. This will pay dividends for you in tools cost by using the tool to its best efficiency with the machine you choose. It's hard enough when todays tools are not intended to be used in toolroom lathes anyhow. It would help to know why that is the case, and use what you learn to your advantage. Get the most out of your tools. They're gonna cost no less than 10 bucks a shot, so tossing them by the box full just from ignorance is senseless. Honestly, a couple hours with someone who is a tool/die maker will be priceless down the road. Especially if that person did work in a production environment also.

There is a place online called "smartflix". I went there and rented some DVD's. It is an older gentlemen and can't remember the name. He starts with the very basics and moves on from there. Also rented some from another guy on there as well. I learned the basics and can cut, face, thread, bore ect. I learned enough to spend a small fortune on a lathe and tooling. If it is for a hobby, I hope you have some deep pockets.
I agree with the rest, take a beginning course in a community college before you spend a bunch if money. It may not be your cup of tea.
Myself, I fell in love with it and am beginning some courses at night. We will see where it goes.

Tim

Hey Guys,

Fred

I learned a lot from the Workshop Practice Series of books published in England. For instruction on single point threading, you almost can't do better than "Screwcutting In The Lathe" by Martin Cleeve. That little green book is packed with good information about threading.

Fitch

I have a PDF copy of The Text Book Of Advanced Machine Work / By Robert Henry Smith / Massachusetts Institute Of Technology Copywrite 1910 that I am sure all of you would find very helpful as well as very interesting. Does anyone know how I can go about posting a PDF on this site.

578 Pages & 609 Illustrations so it is quite alarge file

J.Louis

Ok I just tried clicking on it from my above post and it came up so please be patient it takes some time for it load and once loaded you should be able to save it to your documents.

J.Louis

Back