Kimber model 82 govt.

C

Chuck Tipton

Does anyone know where I can get a benchrest stock for this gun?
Also, can I install a jewell trigger in it?

One place to look for info...

Try http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/ and go to the section about Kimbers. I have a Government CMP, but have not heard of any after market triggers. Some folks modify the factory trigger, but I don't have the skills to do that. At least one person modified the factory stock to become a benchrest stock and supplied photos. Looked good. If you ever hear of an aftermarket trigger, please let me know. Thanks, David
DavidValdina@hotmail.com

Chuck
Email me. ontargets@aol.com and I will send you pictures of the stock I do for the Kimber 82G. Never got the hang of putting pictures on the forum. It is a design that is not on my website.
Don

82 gov

There was 2 main reasons that the AMU didn't use the Kimber 82's. (1)They weren't very accurate and (2) no spare parts. As far as I know there is no one that makes a trigger to fit the 82 and no stocks at all. I read somewhere that some parts from the Winchester model 320 would work but I never tried it.
The 82 that I had wouldn't shoot for nothing so I sent it on it's way. What I suggust is to take that money and put it toward a good Anschutz and be done with it. This move will save you a lot of worry and gray hair.
My 2 cents.
Larry

You tell them Larry. Or maybe they could get a stock, trigger and new barrel then change the action and have something worthwhile;)

I have a Custom Kimber 82G Star:http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=222361

It had everthing one needs for BR except a Trigger. Then a guy with the RFC name of Nemohunter, came up with a method to get the trigger down to 2 oz and I had him work on mine. Don't know if it is 2 oz but it is lower than I can measure.

Overall, it is now a good shooting gun and I do shoot it free recoil, at least I think I do.

Richard

I'll try to post pics. Not sure this will work

Attachments

• Kimber=side.jpg
    Kimber=side.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 2,589
Rock
It is not my rifle
I stocked it for the owner. I know he got a trigger job done by nemohunter and was happy with it. Last time I saw him at a match, he was shooting his Hall.
Don

stock

Don
Thats one good looking stock that you put on that 82. Maybe it was just me but I couldn't get mine to shoot anything while I had it. I didn't try to have it restocked as I lost interest in it when I couldn't get the trigger worked on.

Larry

Chuck,

I still have the GM-82 (not CMP) that I started out with back in '95. Not knowing any better at the time I went to the expense of putting the most beautiful Blonde on White pillar and glass bedded 2 1/2" Wide McMillan bench stock on her, but never got around to fiddling with the trigger enough to make it right as a 40X became available shortly there after, plus the trigger needed more than just adjusting as all the adjustment screws needing replacing since its previous owner had over-tightened the set-screws. I always felt that with the right trigger, the gun would have been able to stand up to almost anything out there.

If you want the stock, or the whole gun for that matter, send me an email at dashattuck@gmail.com and maybe we can negotiate something.

Dave Shattuck

Kimber 82

Kimber 82 Goverment models make great entry level benchrest rifles. The triggers are easily altered by a simple falcrum position change, which will allow the trigger pull to go down to a few ounces. Don Stith sells a decent stock and the 3/4 16tpi barrel tenon is the perfect size for most of todays smaller straight cylinders barrels. Plus Kimbers ignition system is an excellent design, in my opinion.

I built my own and it shoots decent (high 240's & 13X's and above) and I expect it would shoot better with a custom barrel. The barrel on it now is a used 40X barrel that I reversed tapered and hand lapped.

To each their own, but its enjoyable to score higher then most of the custom action rifles on the line. Don't misinterpet me I like Hall rimfire actions and will no doubt have on soon. BUT, you can build a competitive rimfire benchrest using a Kimber 82.

Does anyone know where I can get a benchrest stock for this gun?
Also, can I install a jewell trigger in it?

I don't know about the trigger but Don Stith makes an oustanding stock at a very resonable price. You will not be disipointed with it. garrisone.

heres mine.

2008_0425thefirstpicx0004.jpg

CMP 82G.
Elkridge stock.
Tasco custom shop 10x50.
Factory trigger at 2 OZ (Modded by me)
Hohen tuner with wieghts 20 oz.
BKL dovetail to weaver adaptor with Millett rings.
Shoots in the ones at fifty.

Just started shooting my 82G today, seems like it could be a shooter. All groups 5 shots 50yds. Groups improved left to right as the lubricant exchanged. Picture with the caliper shows .358 minus .224 bullit diameter = .134 ctr/ctr (just over 1/8"). Crude measuring but all I have for now. Pretty good for medium priced ammo. Wolf match target shot almost identical, most ammo shot decent but Ill prob buy a case of the SK if I can get the same lot #.

Attachments

• SK #2.jpg
    SK #2.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 1,201
  • SK #1.jpg
    SK #1.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 1,210
Last edited by a moderator:
2008_0425thefirstpicx0004.jpg

CMP 82G.
Elkridge stock.
Tasco custom shop 10x50.
Factory trigger at 2 OZ (Modded by me)
Hohen tuner with wieghts 20 oz.
BKL dovetail to weaver adaptor with Millett rings.
Shoots in the ones at fifty.

Nemohunter... I have been looking at your sticky on RFC for the 82g trigger. How about the chamber on your 82G, factory kimber or one of your chambers?
Nice rifle, thanks joe

factory for now. gonna have Brock put a Broughton on it soon.

Kimber 82-G *

Several years ago I bought a Kimber 82G * model from a local dealer. Since then I have had Don Steith to make me a beautiful stock in tortis shell maple. It is pillerbeded and free floated the barrel. The action was bedded into the stock. I am thinking about puting a Broughton barrel on at some point. The barrel is the * model and is soposed to be a better barrel than the common barrel that comes on the regular Kimber 82-G. I have a hohn tuner and the Von Aheron weight system on the barrel and shoot Eley Black box 1062 . garrisone.

Several years ago I bought a Kimber 82G * model from a local dealer. Since then I have had Don Steith to make me a beautiful stock in tortis shell maple. It is pillerbeded and free floated the barrel. The action was bedded into the stock. I am thinking about puting a Broughton barrel on at some point. The barrel is the * model and is soposed to be a better barrel than the common barrel that comes on the regular Kimber 82-G. I have a hohn tuner and the Von Aheron weight system on the barrel and shoot Eley Black box 1062 . garrisone.

Mr. garrisone, sounds like a very nice rifle. What kind of groups do you get at 50yds? thanks joe

Mr. garrisone, sounds like a very nice rifle. What kind of groups do you get at 50yds? thanks joe

I get good groups but it don't shoot like myAnschutz 1813. After I do some more work on the Kimber I plan to compete wit it at my gun club matches. I did finish fourth with this rifle earlier this year. garrisone.

Back