Kimber model 82 govt.

The factory stock can be modified into a better stock for benchrest shooting.
49Kimber82n.JPG

Kimber 82

Stith stock, the picture doesn't do it justice.

Attachments

• Kimber 82 pic's 009.jpg
    Kimber 82 pic's 009.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 758
The factory stock can be modified into a better stock for benchrest shooting.
49Kimber82n.JPG

Mr. IHMSA80x80 what size groups does your rifle shoot at 50 yards? I have a stock 82G that shoots in the from the high 1's and low 2's with Wolf MT @ 50. I am very suprised what this rifle does. I want just a little better performance from it if it's do-able. I kinda scared to touche it- don't want to put it in the 3's and 4's!!
very nice rifle you have! joe

Thanks Joe. This one will shoot in the 1's with Eley Tenex.

Friend IHMSA80X80 Dean

Friend Dean:

I quote from you : IHMSA80x80 Thanks Joe. This one will shoot in the 1's with Eley Tenex

Dean, man, that picture brings back memories......in my shop, as I type this, still hangs the frist 4,000 score BR-50 target ever fired by a Kimber....the one in the picture.......and I believe you fired it....

It looks like it has a stainless barrel, but it doesn't....but Dean, I'm almost afraid to discuss what I did to that "factory" barrel to get it to shoot like it does........you can understand why, probably.....so I won't...

A great memory...thanks, your buddy, bc

Oh, Dean, I don't know how you should handle this, should you wish to discuss your Kimber's modifications.....maybe start a new thread, so as not to be hijacking this good thread......?

Or maybe not say anything.......?

Thanks again for the memory..

Your friend, Bill Calfee

Friend Dean:

I quote from you : IHMSA80x80 Thanks Joe. This one will shoot in the 1's with Eley Tenex

Dean, man, that picture brings back memories......in my shop, as I type this, still hangs the frist 4,000 score BR-50 target ever fired by a Kimber....the one in the picture.......and I believe you fired it....

It looks like it has a stainless barrel, but it doesn't....but Dean, I'm almost afraid to discuss what I did to that "factory" barrel to get it to shoot like it does........you can understand why, probably.....so I won't...

A great memory...thanks, your buddy, bc

Oh, Dean, I don't know how you should handle this, should you wish to discuss your Kimber's modifications.....maybe start a new thread, so as not to be hijacking this good thread......?

Or maybe not say anything.......?

Thanks again for the memory..

Your friend, Bill Calfee
Mr Calfee: Could you pm me about changes on the 82-G that would make the rifle shoot better as you imply. your friend garrisone.

the rifle in question has had the barrel reversed and shortend i know that from another thread on RFC. i'm sure Bill did all the usual mojo as well.

Kimber 82 targets shot last October

These were shot last October on two different days. I've a backyard range set up with two covered concrete benches at 50 yd's. Fred Wickstrom was over shooting his new Hall so he can vouch for these as ligit. You can have success with at Kimber action. This passed summer I won several 1st's shooting this Kimber and few 2nd's and 3rd's.

Usually shot my 40X but on occasion I would take the Kimber. Next season I'll be shooting a Turbo, should be interesting. Just thought a few guys with Kimbers would be interested in knowing what a Kimber is capable of.........

Attachments

• Kimber 82 pic's 013.jpg
    Kimber 82 pic's 013.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 681
  • Kimber 82 pic's 014.jpg
    Kimber 82 pic's 014.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 544
Mr Flyshooter thats some nice targets!!! How for from "stock" was the rifle?
I'm trying to sneak up on another 82G for 'sperminting with. thank you
joe:)

JGEE see post 12 & 23

The factory barrel wouldn't shoot well enough to be competitive. I had several used 40X barrels. Slugged them all, used the one with most natural bore tapper. To increase the bore tapper even more the barrel was reverse tappered.
I mean aggressively tappered, so that the chamber end is now .750 and threaded 3/4 16tpi. Then I made a "savage" style nut, rechambered, head spaced and attached the barrel. I still had to lightly hand lap and polish the throat to get the accuracy results I was looking for. The barrel now has decent tapper, basiclly a straight line type tapper. One thing that I believe is absolutely essential to acheiveing the best accuracy is to ensure the chamber lead is polished and finished properly.
The last thing you want is the chamber throat leading up excessively. You don't want it dulled, you want it sharp so it engraves and polished so it won't throw shots. This is all my own experiance and I don't pontificate to anyone else. Just making observations by trail and error........that way I know what works and what probable won't.

. <SNIP>One thing that I believe is absolutely essential to acheiveing the best accuracy is to ensure the chamber lead is polished and finished properly.
The last thing you want is the chamber throat leading up excessively. You don't want it dulled, you want it sharp so it engraves and polished so it won't throw shots. <SNIP>.

Mr. Flyshooter i appreciate your time. I'm new and learning a lot from these forums. Do you have an article or link handy for "throat - lead" work? I would like to learn- i have a couple Mossberg test mules i have been cutting the bbls on. I just did a rechamber and a cone breach on my 44USD... (got rid of a pesky flyer). Nice gun and something i don't mind experimenting with before i touch my Kimber.
again thank you very much and a very nice looking rifle! joe :)

Kimber 82

JGEE -
I've followed everything Dean Bircher, Elmer Laitala, Bill Meyers, Bill Calfee, Gene Davis, Chet Amick or any other successful builders has written or been quoted as saying. I would like to reveal my chamber finishing process. But I've spent a lot of time learning to hand lap a barrel and then finish the throat. Not just how it looks, no no, but how it shoots - thats the secret.

I will tell you this, theres not as much mystery in it as some would suppose. Just read the various articles in Precision Shooting and apply some thought to what is stated and what is left out.

Remember these precepts: You don't want the chamber lead to pick up bullet material. You don't want gas to blow by the bullet in the bore. You don't want the crown located at any point thats not absolutely concentric. You must have a uniform twist rate, which is the hardest thing to measure in my opinion. Most importantly, you want the barrel to vibrate the same eveytime, and I mean eveytime.

Eveything else being equal you'll have a great chance of winning. I shoot against some to the best in the nation. These guys arn't sitting around watching TV. So I can't be either or I'll be dead last. Rifle building ability is best transfered from those that build them eveyday. The number of rifles that shoot well enough to win is amazing. The shooter plays a large part and so can ammo, but having a rifle that you know can win makes a huge difference.

Back