Kelbly trigger?

goodgrouper

tryingtobeabettergrouper
Who's using a Kelbly trigger? How do you like it? Think it's better than a Jewell?

Anyone have Kelbly run a diagnostic on your trigger, Jewell or otherwise?

Anyone have problems with consistent accuracy with a Jewell installed then switch out for a Kelbly and have better groups?

I've seen the diagrams of trigger lock times and deviations on Kelbly's website but figured they've been out long enough now that there should be a few testimonials.

Thanks for any opinions you can share.:)

I have one and it is every bit as good if not better.Had a Jewell also.

I have one and it is as good if not better. Had a Jewell also.E=goodgrouper;582457]Who's using a Kelbly trigger? How do you like it? Think it's better than a Jewell?

Anyone have Kelbly run a diagnostic on your trigger, Jewell or otherwise?

Anyone have problems with consistent accuracy with a Jewell installed then switch out for a Kelbly and have better groups?

I've seen the diagrams of trigger lock times and deviations on Kelbly's website but figured they've been out long enough now that there should be a few testimonials.

Thanks for any opinions you can share.:)[/QUOTE]

Yes

I had one on my BAT don't anymore got jewwels on both BAT's.The gun's are a joy to work now.Dont know what there like on a Kelbley action I guess thats what there made for.

GG,
I had a Kelbly trigger and it's gone.I don't know if I can explain this properly in "trigger talk" but the hinge pin on the Jewell is almost directly above the trigger. The hinge pin on the Kelbly is quite a bit forward. If you pull directly backward on the Jewell the trigger pivots and will break without resistance. If you pull directly backward on the Kelbly you will be pulling against the hinge pin( not pivoting on it) and will drag shots out of the group. To shoot the Kelbly effectively one needs to lift up during the trigger pull. If all your guns had Kelblys,you would no doubt get used to the motion, but go from a Jewell in the AM to a Kelbly in the PM and you are probably gonna drag some shots out of your group. All in all the Kelbly is probably the better trigger( like breaking glass,whereas the Jewell is more like slipping on a bar of soap).If the Kelbly had a safety I would set the weight( by moving the pin to a heavier position) at around 1lb and install it on all my live varmint rifles,it's that good, but for BR work, I'll stick with the Jewells.
Joel

grouper
Lou murdica has a dozen of Kelbly triggers for his tunnel testing. In the 6mmBR web under Archived Articles the San Gabriel BR School article has a picture of a Kelbly trigger and Louies feelings about the then new trigger, 2006 school.

Stephen Perry
Angeles BR

Before I state my

Thank you fellas. I knew this was the place to come for answers to these questions.
I think I'll stick with my Jewell.

decision, I must say that a couple of REALLY GOOD shooters have switched over to the Kelbly's. And they feel that it has solved some problems for them. I for one am picking up my first Kelbly trigger in about 5 days and if it does what I am told it will, not by Jim or George, but by someone else, I will be getting more of them. Just my 2-cents worth

David

Ya know,
George won the SS and I couldn't be happier,He's a great shooter and a great guy, but to use his equipment list as a "must have" for successfull shooting is ludicrous. I'll bet George was wearing " Fruit of the loom" underwear and "New Balance" tennis shoes. Should we all run out and buy some of those? " I couldn't have won without my " Mennen Speed Stick anti-perspirant", Right George ?
What a world we live in.
Anyway,Congratulations to George Carter (who probably couldn't have pulled off a SS win without Vera by his side. I wish we could all be so fortunate to find someone like her),and to all potential Kelbly trigger owners; It's a good trigger but it is a noticeably different mechanism than a Jewell.
Joel

Joel, you are correct, but we are a "monkey see, monkey do" group of people. What works for one may not be for everyone. Personally, I favor the Jewell, but that does not make it better. If one can shoot better aggs with certain equipment, then that is what he/she should use. Good shooting...James

I see benchrest as a 4 trigger game now that the Kelbly triggers have established themselves, starting in 2006 they were first available.

Jewell still leads by a far margin. They should, they have had a BR trigger on the market since before 1994 when I bought my first. Remington conversions are probably second not by choice but second because they came on BR guns of the 70 - 90's vintage and are adequate br triggers today. Kelbly by numbers only I would say is third moving towards Remington in numbers. Last but not least would be the collection of Shilen, Canjar,and some prototypes triggers that only the developer and a few friends swear by.

Triggers if designed properly and cleaned often will give shooters error free performances. If you have a line of triggers say Jewell on say 3 /4 guns why switch. If you do switch sell all of one kind and buy new to replace those. Most shooters learn the charachteritcs of certain triggers. A hodge podge of triggers can develop some hard feelings towards one type of trigger when the dung awards are given out each year, usually during shoots in adverse weather.
Done.

Stephen Perry
Angeles BR

Last edited:
my next trigger i purchase will be a Kelbly or Shilen no more jewells

I had them both. The Kelbly trigger is crisp. One of it's main design functions was to increase the firing pin fall. As a lot know, some of the Jewells have been inconsistant in the length of the sear release. That is one of the reasons for the development of the adjustable trigger hangers. Also, Some of the new jewells need smoothed out. This is done by disassembly and deburring side plates and other items. One of the problems I have seen with the kelbly, which I know has been address but I don't know if successfully, was the breaking of the moveable pin. I've seen a couple end up in the trash on the way out the door from a shoot, and no one was digging them out. One broke two pins in one day. If I could feel confident in the trigger not breaking, I would be happy to use one as some of the best shooting I ever did was with one installed.

Hovis

I wonder if the pin is being broken by the firing pin bouncing back upon firing. That would sound to me like the gun's fault, not the trigger's. Supposition on my part. Has anybody talked to Jim or George?

Last edited:
Though it has not entered into this conversation, I would say that the new Farley is also a welcome addition to the Benchrest Trigger familly. Gene Bukys has one on his new Farley Action Rifle, and it is one of the best shooting combinations I have seen of late.

As for Jewel, I have several, and at least two have been in service for close to 12 years. That is literally thousands, and thousands, of firings, with nothing more than a cleaning every now and then.

The only reason I have not tried a Kelbly is I simply have not needed one.............jackie

I suspect that if the pin is breaking it is because the trigger is mounted to low in the action. If there is not enough engagement between the trigger sear and cocking piece the trigger can actually recock when the firing pin goes forward. Many of the cocking pieces have a notch in them and if the engagement is small then when the sear hits the notch in the cocking piece it allows the sear to raise up and recock the trigger. Then when you open the bolt the leverage is very great and it forces the sear down breaking the pin. Modifying the trigger hanger to let the trigger sit a little higher in the action will fix this if it is the problem.

If you happen to find any more Kelby triggers in the trash I would be glad to pay shipping and a small finders fee to get it out of the trash and in my hands!

Thanks Gary

Back