Jewell Triggers and low temps

bob3700

Anybody experience any failure to cocks or fire with a Jewell trigger in temps below 40 degrees?

This has happened to me twice now. Temps were just below 40 degrees and the trigger failed to cock. Never have any problems in warmer weather.

Do I need to flush the trigger with solvent?

Bob

Bob

Flush trigger and reset adjustments in the same order as the instructions.
Try a little more sear engagement this time.

I have used a Jewel in a Wichita 1375 years ago at -25 degrees F.
No problems at 2 oz.

Trigger parts can get smaller in very cold weather.
I would set up a Remington 700 trigger with lots of sear contact if used in different temperature-weather related conditions.

Glenn

there is usually a large amount of solvent in a Jewel due to repeated cleaning of the rifle. You can check that an also check for tooling marks in the walls of of the trigger housing. the method to use in disasemling and re assembling your trigger is demonstrated in Tony's book. I have been reworking Jewells, both old and new ones, to get a more responsive trigger with more sear control and trouble free use.
Denny Andrews

Bob, the trigger should work fine from plus 30 deg celcius to MINUS 30 deg celcius. Trust me, I live in the SECOND coldest Province next to Saskatchewan................ Manitoba ;=)

I have yet to have a failure due to temp change. The only failure is when I forget to crank them up when I am shooting with gloves on. I would flush and blow dry and see what happens.

Calvin

I have Jewel Triggers that have been in use since the mid 90's, one probably has seen 30,000 plus rounds. The only time they have ever given me a problem, (not very often), is when I forget to do the lighter fluid cleaning thing. Heck, I have gone through an entire season without ever doing anything.

The solvent, or any other liquid, is the culprit. Just flush it good and I bet it returns to normal.

I purchased several Jewel trigggers when they first appeared on the market; both for my benchrest rifles and hunting rifles (Rem). Of course the hunting rifles had the stronger springs installed and were set to 3lb. The only problem I have ever had with any of them to this present day is when I dumped a powder charge down one due to a stuck round in the chamber and the bullet stayed in the rifling when ejected. A clean up and flush with lighter fluid solved that.

virg

I used to have the same problem as you, even.......................

with VERY clean triggers made by Remington. If set up in the summer, invariably they'd want to 'follow-down' in the winter, never had one fail to cock, though. What I used to do was re-set them in the colder weather, even to the same weight, and the problem was gone. Then, a few years ago, I began (tah-DAAAH) ( :DYep, you got it, here she comes....) cryogenically processing the trigger whenever I did the barrel. Either way, the problem disappeared, but by cryoing, I only do the adjustment and set-up one time, now.

I'd bet your Jewell would act the same, just readjust it in the colder weather to the same weight. I used to pull the stock and allow it to sit in an unheated shop for a couple days, then re-do the adjustments.

Last edited:
Back