Jackie Schmidt Wins Tomballl VFS with 30 Cal X-OUTS

Bart

Great shooting Jackie! You are tearing it up! That's two in a row!

Benchrest Class:
Jackie Schmidt.....250 22x
Dwayne Pullum.....250 20x
Ed Bernabeo.........250 20x
Jim Barron............250 18x
Eddie Carter..........250 17x

Thanks to the 30 shooters who came out to support our program.

Bart
Bart's Custom Bullets

Benchrest Class:

Bart
Bart's Custom Bullets

I shot a 250 15 x and I believe that at least three of the guys ahead of me shot 30 cals whereas I was using my 6 PPC. Maybe score shooting ought to be only .30.

I like the UBR idea.
:)
I enjoy it!
You group shooters...Bring on all of those PPC's:p

Maybe it's more politically correct to say, bring whatever you have to shoot...we'll make room for you under this format! We like Dashers and Prancers, 30 BR's...and PPC's...Bring em' all on!;)

Last edited:
Regardless....

Regardless of who won it, there was some darn fine shooting from all of the 250 shooters. Looks like them 30's got what it takes; and with the extra bonus of a lot less barrel wear. But, hey, whatever your preference, 30BR, PPC, .222, or even the ole Donaldson Wasp. Bring'm on and lets have some fun. Half these competitions are the great companionships that develop due to our great sport.:eek:

Virg

Jerry, I did not get to talk to you as much as I wanted to Sunday. I apologize, I just kinda got wrapped up in the moment.

As for he calibers used in score, most shoot a Rifle that is legal for NBRSA and IBS Varmint for Score. That being, a Rifle that is legal to be fired in Class Heavy Varmint.

Since there are no caliber restrictions in HV, a shooter is free to shoot what ever he wishes.

At Our Tomball Club Matches, we don't follow these rules per say, because we want to attract as many shooters as possible. The rule for the Benchrest Class simply day....."any legal firearm".

I might even decide to shoot my Rail Gun once this year. I do have enough adjustment in the controles to get to all the targets without moving the base on the bench. I think that would be a "hoot".

As you saw Sunday, we have some serious Score Shooters who attend these Matches. And as you also saw, Tomball is a pretty difficult range, pretty darned tricky. I hope to make it back over to Austin this month, it all depends on work.

Jackie, I tried to bring a 30 BR but ran into too many issues with the inherited brass. So I cobbled together as much 6 PPC brass I could find and preloaded with 50 rounds. It didn't do too badly. I brought my targets home and am going to use a .30 overlay and see if I would have had any more X's if I had been shooting the 30 BR. Should be an interesting exercise. Had a good time though. I stayed with my daughter and her husband who live about 16 miles from the range. Brought my son-in-law as he's only shot pistol up to this point. Had him help me set the wind flags and he changed targets for me. Now, he wants to get involved with some score shooting and will be coming up to Fort Worth in March and I'll take him to my range here and let him get the feel of the trigger. Could be another shooter for you guys.

Jerry, I did not get to talk to you as much as I wanted to Sunday. I apologize, I just kinda got wrapped up in the moment.

As for he calibers used in score, most shoot a Rifle that is legal for NBRSA and IBS Varmint for Score. That being, a Rifle that is legal to be fired in Class Heavy Varmint.

Since there are no caliber restrictions in HV, a shooter is free to shoot what ever he wishes.

At Our Tomball Club Matches, we don't follow these rules per say, because we want to attract as many shooters as possible. The rule for the Benchrest Class simply day....."any legal firearm".

I might even decide to shoot my Rail Gun once this year. I do have enough adjustment in the controles to get to all the targets without moving the base on the bench. I think that would be a "hoot".

As you saw Sunday, we have some serious Score Shooters who attend these Matches. And as you also saw, Tomball is a pretty difficult range, pretty darned tricky. I hope to make it back over to Austin this month, it all depends on work.

Clarification Please

Post's title: 30 Cal X-OUTS :confused:

Just wanting to clarify......was it 22 X's or 22 WO.

If it was truly 22 WO, should be a new record, huh?

Benchrest Class:

Bart
Bart's Custom Bullets

Well, after shooting a 250-15X with my 6 PPC I used a .30 overlay to check the close ones and discovered that I would have had five more X's if I'd been shooting a thirty cal. Still wouldn't have won, but I'd have been closer. Time to get my 30 BR up and running. But first, I need to get new brass ready for the 6 PPC for the Cactus next month.

An X is an X. Wipeouts are the name of the bullets bart makes

An x is an x, most of the time.

You need 25x before you even think of counting wipe outs and records.

as Uthink mentioned, you have to have a tie with 25x before you worry about wipeouts.

from the NBRSA rulebook, under Chapter N. OFFICIAL RULES FOR HUNTER RIFLE COMPETITION:

8. TIES. (using the “Creedmore Method”).
a. Yardage Aggregate Ties – Refer to Match #1 and compare scores successively until the tie is broken, match by match. If still tied at Match #5, then revert to Match #1, bull #1 and compare score by bull until tie is broken.
b. Grand Aggregate Ties – Start with the score of the shortest yardage in the Grand Aggregate. If needed, then start as in the yardage tie method. The tie breaking will continue by match all the way through the multiple yardages in the Grand Aggregate before reverting to bull #1, Match#1, of the shortest yardage.
c. In the event of a tie of 250 and 25 X’s, then the scorer will break the tie by determining the number of “wipeout” X’s. A wipeout X is defined as the complete X dot being fully circumscribed by the bullet hole caliber specific ring of the NBRSA scoring reticle (wording change from meeting 8/8/11)

An x is an x, most of the time.

as Uthink mentioned, you have to have a tie with 25x before you worry about wipeouts.

from the NBRSA rulebook, under Chapter N. OFFICIAL RULES FOR HUNTER RIFLE COMPETITION:

8. TIES. (using the “Creedmore Method”).
a. Yardage Aggregate Ties – Refer to Match #1 and compare scores successively until the tie is broken, match by match. If still tied at Match #5, then revert to Match #1, bull #1 and compare score by bull until tie is broken.
b. Grand Aggregate Ties – Start with the score of the shortest yardage in the Grand Aggregate. If needed, then start as in the yardage tie method. The tie breaking will continue by match all the way through the multiple yardages in the Grand Aggregate before reverting to bull #1, Match#1, of the shortest yardage.
c. In the event of a tie of 250 and 25 X’s, then the scorer will break the tie by determining the number of “wipeout” X’s. A wipeout X is defined as the complete X dot being fully circumscribed by the bullet hole caliber specific ring of the NBRSA scoring reticle (wording change from meeting 8/8/11)

Suppose there was a single score of 250-25, clearly winning the match. Would the WO's be counted and compared to the current record (250-25X-21WO)......or does there have to be a tie in order to consider WO's? :confused:

I would think any 250 25x at a Registered Match would be submitted for record consideration. The difference between a X and a Wipeout can indeed be a very small amount.

At our Club Matches, this is all a moot point, as they are not Registered. But that is one of the beauties of score shooting. You either hit it, or you don't. And, keep in mind, a 250 0X still beats a 249 24X with 24 wipeouts.

I would think any 250 25x at a Registered Match would be submitted for record consideration. The difference between a X and a Wipeout can indeed be a very small amount.

At our Club Matches, this is all a moot point, as they are not Registered. But that is one of the beauties of score shooting. You either hit it, or you don't. And, keep in mind, a 250 0X still beats a 249 24X with 24 wipeouts.

Jackie,

Thank you for your answer; I am aware of the point you make (249-24 vs 250-0), however, that isn't my question. :confused:

attachment.php

Kindly consider, my question arose after reading in Post #16...... "you have to have a TIE with 25x before you worry about wipeouts".

I thought that sounded somewhat askew, but what do I know, thus my question.

Please allow me to re-word my question:

• Lets assume a 250-25 is shot by a single shooter at a Registered match.
  • Once the target has been confirmed as a 25X, by the score committee, will the WO on that target be taken into consideration for a record?

HV
100 yds.
250-25X-21WO
Al Weaver
5/14/06

Sorry for the confusion.

Attachments

• 249-24.jpg
    249-24.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 611
Last edited:
Within the NBRSA,

Jackie,

Thank you for your answer; I am aware of the point you make (249-24 vs 250-0), however, that isn't my question. :confused:

attachment.php

Kindly consider, my question arose after reading in Post #16...... "you have to have a TIE with 25x before you worry about wipeouts".

I thought that sounded somewhat askew, but what do I know, thus my question.

Please allow me to re-word my question:

• Lets assume a 250-25 is shot by a single shooter at a Registered match.
  • Once the target has been confirmed as a 25X, by the score committee, will the WO on that target be taken into consideration for a record?

HV
100 yds.
250-25X-21WO
Al Weaver
5/14/06

Sorry for the confusion.

Any 25X set of targets will be scored also for wipeouts.. But Wipeouts only have a significance at 25X, nothing more, nothing less.

Back