It's real hard choosing a 2nd PD rifle when you already have all the best in a 20cal!

No problem. I usually am quite skeptical about cartridges. I worried about fouling and heat with the .204 Ruger when it first came out. But I guess it was late '04, I bought one anyway. I thought it would never catch on and be another .17 Rem.

I was pleasantly surprised. Never would I have thought I'd have a barrel with performance like that that stays clean, heats slow, costs less to shoot than the big 22s and after 4k rounds the barrel still shoots well under moa.

The .204 Ruger is the varmint colony hunters' dream!

Hornady got it right. Maybe the new 6.5 Creedmoor will be the 6.5mm equivalent to the .204 Ruger as a varmint round and do to the .260, 6.5x47, and 6.5-284 what the 204 Ruger did to the .223, .220 Swift, and .22-250.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have shot a few Pdogs here in Kansas and for distance and wind I like the 243 WSSM
with these ballistics
Distance (yds) Velocity (fps) Energy (ft.lbs.) Short Trajectory (in.) Long Trajectory (in.)
Muzzle 4060 2013 - -
50 - - -0.5 -
100 3628 1607 0.0 0.6
150 - - -0.2 0.7
200 3237 1280 -1.2 0.0
250 - -- -2.9 -1.5
300 2880 1013 -5.6 -3.9
400 2550 794 - -12
500 2243 614 - -25.5
and it is a 6mm

Duce

Yote Smoker .204

My varmint and predator hunting is always inside of 200 yards where I hunt. I have a Savage 11 in .204 and I can't think of hunting bobcats and yotes with anything else. Maybe a .223 (only because I don't have one yet) :cool:

I shoot factory Hornady 40 grain V-max's because that's what the rifle likes. I say shoot what you have confidence in and rock and roll. :D

VaniB
I have a 204ruger that is actually too much fun to shoot. It is seriously cutting into my practice time with my 6ppc. I just love it. For my second rifle I am building a switch barrel. I have a second 204ruger barrel and a 243ai barrel. When I head to the fields my plan is to screw on the 243ai barrel. If I decide that the shots out past 500 just aren't there that day or week, I will just screw on the extra 204 barrel and shoot it while my other 204 is cooling. I like the 105 grain bullet out to almost 1000 and I don't expect to be burning up the barrel too soon because as I said, the 204 is just too fun to shoot. Why punish my shoulder except for the occasional long splash shots.

My advice is to build a switch barrel and don't compromise. Make sure that your scopes, stocks, and triggers are the same so changing from rifle to rifle is less hassle and more natural.

I would go with the 6x47 Lapua with an 8 twist, 30 inch barrel

The 6x47L shooting 105 AMAX's @ 3125 gives you half as much wind diflection, 4 times the energy and is slightly flatter than your 20 at around 500 yards. Now, after 500 yards the differences majorly increase as the 39 grainer fades. That would, and was, my choice in the 500-1000 yard range.

Well Vani, your first posts are so full of nonsense it was hard to know where to begin. Now you're saying what you want is for shots past 4-500yds.... this was never mentioned before.

There's no free lunch. If you want to reach out farther, throwing bigger bullets fast enough to shoot flat takes horsepower. A 6mm can do good things with the right combination. What works for me is pushing 70's through a 243AI at 3800-3850. A 6mmAI will push them about 4100. A 70BT at that velocity will flip a rockchuck 18" in the air at 650yds. Not the same thing as lobbing heavy target bullets through paper. Going fast and flat with bigger bullets takes powder capacity and there's no getting around it. Some cases might give more velocity per grain of powder than others, but there's no magic.

Ackman: You are CHOOSING TO IGNORE the benefits and performance of the 204 Ruger!
THAT, is silly!
Buying a custom Rifle in caliber 223 Ackley Improved (and we ALL know they are WAY more expensive than a good factory Rifle!), buying the expensive dies, fireforming ALL the cases needed for Colony Varminting and the increased recoil of heavier calibers (the 223 Remington Ackley Improved included) are factors that are NOT SILLY either!
Been there done that (AI's)!
Don't ignore these factors.
That, is silly!
Especially when a Prairie Dogger or Colony Varminter can get such sensational ballistics and lethal performance from a FACTORY CARTRIDGE - and do it much cheaper with less effort!
I am glad you are enjoying the extra work and extra investment that wildcatting mandates!
Enjoy your rigs - BUT - don't denigrate the fine 204 Ruger in any way shape or form while you are doing the above!
That, is silly!
The 204 Ruger is an absolutely outstanding "all around Varminting cartridge" and some of us who actually OWN and HUNT with 204 Ruger's won't let you get away with such a bold faced error as you are trying to get away with!
Those of us that Hunt Varmints year round and Hunt them at night, KNOW the benefits of of a Rifle with no or very little recoil!
The difference in recoil from the 223 Remington Ackley Improved and the 204 Ruger makes for a noticeable advantage to the 204 Ruger!
Tylerw02 is right, that out past 550 yards or thereabouts there are better calibers, for that use EXCLUSIVELY, but 99% of all Varmints are killt at ranges under 550 yards!
And thats where the 204 Ruger shines!
And that is NOT SILLY - its a fact!
Ignore it if you wish, but again - that would be silly!
Before besmirching a fine and popular round like the 204 Ruger I suggest you buy one and actually put it to use for a year or so under all Varminting conditions (including night Hunting!) and then I am sure YOUR silly opinion will be changed!
I have been Varminting for a long time and have seen many fad cartridges come and go - the 204 Ruger IS not a fad, it is for real!
It will cut down on loading bench and range bench time with its factory brass availability - and the money one saves going with the factory Rifle, less expensive dies and good barrel and brass life will be better spent on fuel, for, more Hunting excursions.
I am not easily impressed with calibers or new cartridges - nor am I overly critical of same!
I am so impressed with the 204 Ruger cartridge as an "all around Varminting cartridge" that I declare it as one of the top three "all around Varminting cartridges", of all time!
I had occassion to watch a recent episode of the TV show "Predator Quest" where the host was Hunting Coyotes in Nevada using his new Rifle in caliber 204 Ruger! The host had called in a threesome of Coyotes and his partner shot at and missed one of the Coyotes. They all took off at warp speed angling away from the host. He killt that Coyote at an absolute flat out as fast as it could run speed, with a single shot from the 204 Ruger! And it was NOT a close in shot. That Coyote I am estimating was 250 - 280 yards out and leaving at 45 MPH! No holdover, very little "lead" needed, no recoil and splendid lethality! At the instant of the shot that Coyote tumbled and rolled never to move again!
The host was obviously impressed! As was I.
Then later in the same show he accomplished another similar shot with the same result.
I have as yet to kill a running Coyote with any of my 204's. All have been standing or walking shots at ranges out to 425 yards (lots of Coyotes here in the high plains of the Rockies are call shy and they hang up "out there"!).
At 4,200 F.P.S. it does NOT take long for that 204 Ruger projectile to cover 250 yards! The more speed ones bullet has, the less "lead" necessary on running Varmints.
I hope you get the chance to actually use a 204 Ruger afield.
Long live the 204 Ruger!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Not again. You've learned a couple new $3 words..... "denigrate" "besmirching." And you won't let me "get away with such a bold faced error......" as I'm trying to "get away with." Well ain't you the one though**. Still the pompous self-important windbag. And you're such a complete bore that struggling through one of your posts is painfully difficult. As with everything else you post, this one is mostly complete nonsense. Not even worth answering.

BTW-It's "bAld-faced", not "bOld faced"....."bold face" refers to font.

**As Edith Bunker used to say.....

My 6.5-284 launching 100gr Nosler BTs at around 3500 sure has thrown some pd's in the air! 140s do a number on them.

One particular prairie poodle I swear flew 5 ft in the air at 650 yards with a 100 gr pill.

Ackman: Don't answer anything - fine with me.
I didn't ask you to.
Nor did I ask you to go into your immature mode where you completely "IGNORE" facts and other folks real life in the field experiences and head right to the school boy tactics of trying to insult and denigrate others. All the while NOT interjecting any evidentiary items or facts.
You are simply a joke with a pre-teen mentality.
Unable or unwilling to enter into mature discourse.
Those are your problems - I would suggest you try to deal with them, somehow.
And for the record I will not let you get away with a BOLD FACED (or glaring!) error like you are trying to do!
If it takes another post to point out the error of your "misconceptions" I won't hesitate to get that done!
The 204 Ruger is an absolutely splendid "all around Varmint cartridge" and nothing in any of your posts indicates anything different!
I AGAIN suggest you purchase a 204 Ruger use it for a couple of years and THEN maybe someone will care what you say about it?
Til then I strongly urge you to try to make a manly attempt at "maturing", significantly!
He-he - somehow I think you don't have it in you!
Facts, figures and real life experiences PLEASE - keep your childish behavior to yourself if you don't mind. Your behavior is way below the dignity of this forum.
It never ceases to amaze me how quickly your type resorts to insults when you are unable to argue a contention.
He-he.
You may consider my 4 years of at the range and in the field experiences with 4 different Rifles in 204 Ruger caliber, and my relaying said experiences and observations, to you and others as pompous - I don't!
Your "silly" observation and ignorances are duly noted, now try to come up with an enlightened argument.
Again, I don't think you have it in you!
Long live the wonderful 204 Ruger!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

****************First there's 1), then 2) in the same post. This is a mixed up fellow.
1) Ackman: Don't answer anything - fine with me. I didn't ask you to.
2) .......now try to come up with an enlightened argument.

OK Varmint Guy, give it a rest. Your opinion of anything doesn't matter to me. And nobody cares what you like to shoot, and nobody's trying to convince you of anything. And especially, nobody needs to prove anything to you so cut the self-righteous crap.

Ackman: Shrink your head down just a bit their buddie!
I am still waiting for some, ANY enlightened evidence or experience you may have with a 204 Ruger!
I am not expressing opinions alone here Ackman - I am backed up by ballistic tables, four years of in the hunting fields and at the range experiences, and by the learned opinions of not just those who post here but of my friends who also own and shoot Rifles in 204 Ruger caliber!
I have one friend who is an accomplished Colony Varminter and he has 6 Rifles in caliber 204 Ruger so far! I say so far because my man Armand has 25 Rifles in caliber 22-250 alone, I am sure he will have another 204 or two by summer!
His opinion of the 204 Ruger is so high that he and I were conversing and we were comparing calibers for Varminting (a couple months back now) and he opined that if he were starting Varminting today that he would only buy and use Rifles in caliber 204 Ruger!
That is a strong recommendation from a life long shooter, wealthy person and experienced Varminter who could have (and has!) Varmint Rifles in virtually every caliber imagineable!
I completely agree with him - if I were to start Varmint Hunting today instead of back in 1958, I would be just happy as a clam with a bunch of Varminters in caliber 204 Ruger ONLY!
Its that good!
And if you THINK ballistic tables LIE then prove it!
Also if you have PROOF to the contrary of my opinions then post it!
And indeed, you DO need to prove up or shut up!
I will have to thank you for knocking off the immature tripe in your latest posting BUT your latest posting is again void of anything definitive or credible!
Not ONE credible thing!
You are not trying, ANY MORE, to convince me of anything.
Especially with your unsubstantiated, bold faced, tripe!
LONG live the 204 Ruger!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Ackman, sounds as though you were the first one to start attacking somebody in your very first post.

The ballistic data suggests to match the .204 Ruger with a 39 SBK at 3900 to 500 yards, one must push a 87 gr V-Max to 3675 fps to match drop nearly identically. To push that bullet at that rate, you can beat the .204 Ruger in the wind by .6" per 1 mph. The lighter 6mm projectiles offer no advantage over the .204" projectiles beyond 500, so why consider them? Owning both a .20 and a 6, I can confirm this data is pretty much right on.

I know of three common cartridges to do that: the 6mmAI, the 6-284, and the .240 Weatherby. All burn close to double the powder and the bullets cost twice as much.

To 500, the .204 is the clear winner, while beyond 500, the big sixes are the clear winner. The thing about shooting beyond 500 is is you must pay to play. If you're shooting under 500 yards (as that is the range MOST prairie dogs and other varmints are killed), it makes no sense to pay more for the 6mm cartridges that offer no significant improvement in exterior ballistics.

This gets real old. OK, for the last time.....

Tyler - My very first post was in response to some flatout wrong assumptions. Now you're making assumptions too.......I don't shoot 87's, never said I did, and don't shoot a 6BR past 500yds. with any bullet, never even mentioned it. So your whole second paragraph is irrelevant and simply doesn't apply. Now I don't give a crap what you shoot and anything you like is fine....whatever makes you happy is what you should be using, and I've said that a few times to a couple different people. I can read numbers from a ballistic program too and don't see anything working better than what already works very well for me.

Varmintguy - Champion windbag. This thread went from silly to sillier, now it's funny and pathetic. You have serious problems.

What advantage does your 6mmBR offer over the .204 Ruger/.20Tac to 500 yards?

This is one of the sillier posts. You have some strange ideas. You're also using faulty premise to draw flawed conclusions. And an 87gr is the only 6mm bullet worth shooting?.......are you nuts?

Take the 6BR, excellent for varmints and easy on barrels. It's a relatively conservative 6mm cartridge. A 6BR - my own - shooting 55Bal tips (.276BC) at 3880 with 250yd zero........Using your .20cal numbers, traj/wind identical at 300yds. At 400, trajectory is .2" flatter with the 6mm, windage is .3" less with the .20. At 500, trajectory is .4" flatter with 6mm, windage is .4" less with the .20. They're very close. The 65VMax isn't very far behind. And there are several more powerful 6mm varmint cartridges than the 6BR.

If you believe a .20 cal bullet will hit harder than a heavier .243 bullet doing about the same speed......go out and actually shoot some things.

Your own suggestion doesn't offer any advantages. I think his premise is to EXCEED the .20, you need to shoot a bigger bullet and push it faster.

What is so strange about his idea that using a mild 6mm offers no advantage to a .20 under 500 yards?

What advantage does your 6mmBR offer over the .204 Ruger/.20Tac to 500 yards?

This is tiresome.

Go back and read my damned post. The very first one. A 55gr bullet with larger diameter will hit harder than a 40, otherwise there is no advantage......the two are so close in trajectory/windage as to be the same. Since I already have something that does a certain thing, why be getting something else completely different that does the same thing? That should explain it so you understand. And now maybe you'll knock of this crap. Endless bickering about every dumb thing in a dumb post gets real old. Shoot whatever you want, like whatever you like, and think whatever you want to think, I don't care. Don't be telling me that something is when it isn't, and that I should like something because you think it's wonderful.

This is tiresome.

Go back and read my damned post. The very first one. A 55gr bullet with larger diameter will hit harder than a 40, otherwise there is no advantage......the two are so close in trajectory/windage as to be the same. Since I already have something that does a certain thing, why be getting something else completely different that does the same thing? That should explain it so you understand. And now maybe you'll knock of this crap. Endless bickering about every dumb thing in a dumb post gets real old. Shoot whatever you want, like whatever you like, and think whatever you want to think, I don't care. Don't be telling me that something is when it isn't, and that I should like something because you think it's wonderful.

Which is back to the point...no reason in him getting one! What is his faulty logic?

At 3600, your Nosler has 484 ft/lbs. The .204 Ruger has 449 ft/lbs at 3950 with Sierras. I don't think that really constitutes much...not enough for a prairie dogs to notice ;)

Oh, by the way, by 600, the .204 Ruger will pretty much meet it on energy ;)

His logic seems pretty accurate to me. I'm glad you like your 6mmBR, and you are right, there is no reason for you to get a .204 Ruger, nor is there a reason for the original poster to get a tame 6mm. If he wants to exceed 204 performance, he needs a big 6.

Which is back to the point...no reason in him getting one! What is his faulty logic?

At 3600, your Nosler has 484 ft/lbs. The .204 Ruger has 449 ft/lbs at 3950 with Sierras. I don't think that really constitutes much...not enough for a prairie dogs to notice ;)

Oh, by the way, by 600, the .204 Ruger will pretty much meet it on energy ;)

His logic seems pretty accurate to me. I'm glad you like your 6mmBR, and you are right, there is no reason for you to get a .204 Ruger, nor is there a reason for the original poster to get a tame 6mm. If he wants to exceed 204 performance, he needs a big 6.

Tyler.....are you really so obtuse or is this just a put on? Go back and read the posts once more.......

*I never told him to get anything. I said his 6mm info was faulty and used a 6BR as an example.

* The 55 is doing 3881, not 3600. Another bullet is at 3919 using a newer powder lot, but I haven't tried shooting the BT any faster or with that same powder and used the 3880 number. Those are numbers for my rifle with a braked 24" barrel. Numbers can be all over the place from gun to gun, but other people have posted similar velocity. So it's nothing that someone else can't duplicate.

I zero at 250 but ok......300yd zero: 6500' elevation - 80*temp - 1.8" scope height - 10mph cross wind......

300 - Zero - wind 6BR/5.6" --- wind 204/5.5"

400 - drop 6BR/6.4" --- wind 6BR/10.5"
400 - drop 204/6.5" --- wind 204/10.2"

500 - drop 6BR/17.4" --- wind 6BR/17.1"
500 - drop 204/17.6" --- wind 204/16.7"

If you ever do shoot 500yds with either gun, in a 10mph side wind the difference in drift is 4/10"......about 1/2 the width of your little finger. That's it. Otherwise they're identical. If the windage difference were twice or three times that much, it still wouldn't mean squat. Work out the energy level yourself - 55@3880fps. So you tell me that one is tremendously better - or even sorta better - than the other. Except for the 6 having more energy, they're othewise virually identical.

Comprehend?

Wow !

Guess I better not give my experiences with either the 6BR or 204 past 500 yds on p/dogs.......:eek:

Tyler,
Well, I must admit that in desiring to share my ideas with others, (and seeking input) I often do what amounts to a lot of thinking out loud. But, through all the rambling, you understood the underlying message I was trying to get accross when you made these comments pertaining to me:

His logic seems pretty accurate to me. I think his premise is to EXCEED the .20, you need to shoot a bigger bullet and push it faster.......What is so strange about his idea that using a mild 6mm offers no advantage to a .20 under 500 yards?"

Yes, Tyler, that in a nutshell is exactly the point I've been making. Thanks.

To VarmintGuys delight, I will reiterate the facts; my 20 is ultra flat shooting, ultra wind bucking, shoots 1/4" groups, at 3,820FPS, recoils low enough to maintain a sight picture at 100 yards. ( With my 16lb rifle, I can see the bullet holes appear on the paper) All this while providing a very long barrel life.

For a couple of years now I had believed that the 6XC cartridge (or at least some sort of an improved Dasher style 6BR cartridge) would be my ultimate "long distance" PD rifle. Because I had always heard how the .243 bullet was more wind resistant then a .22 bullet, I eroneously concluded that it had to be even that much better then when compared to a light 20 cal bullet.

So when the 6x47L Lapua brass case came out, I thought I had my dream gun all figured out. So, I purchased my HS Varmint stock, a new .243 bolt faced 700 SS action, before I had even finished putting a scope on my custom 20Tac and trying it out.

Well, I fired my 20Tac for the first time during the last month......exactly a year after my gunsmith had handed it over to me. (oh did I mention that I'm a procrastinator? :D ) I couldn't believe the accuracy I was getting with my bore foulers and first time experimental loads!

I had previously always considered the 20 cal some kind of small and fringe cartridge. I had always thought of it as too small and light. After the firing range results, I started to take the rifle more seriously and ran a series of ballistic comparisons. I ran it against practically every 6mm weight bullet out there. For a 400 to 450 and maybe up to 500 yards, nothing compares to it. There is no reason to use a harder recoiling gun for the first 450 yards of PD shooting. And to closely maintain the same kind of impressive ballistics, you are absolutely right that I would have to push a heavy bullet out of a big case. And, at that point, as Ackman would say, "their are no fee lunches". Their is going to be significantly more powder useage, recoil, and barrel wear involved. Where I had previously printed many pages of ballistics using the Hornady ballistics calculator from their websight, it only went up to 500 yards. I just discovered this ballistics calculator, and printed sheets to compare and study all the 6mm grain bullets side by side: http://www.eskimo.com/~jbm/ballistics/traj_basic/traj_basic.html
This websight allows me to calculate the ballistics beyond 500 yards and out to 700 which would likely be my desired practical max. I keep coming up with the same conclusion that the 87 Grain Vmax with a 400BC at a MV of 3150 FPS, is better then any other weight bullet. (And I also calculated somebody elses preference; the Nosler 55BT with a .276BC doing a MV of 3800) The lighter bullets shine for the first few hundred yards, but start to substancilly lose their advantage where I can't justify using them. Yes, their might be higher velocity loads possible with these lighter bullets in a 6x47, but so too with the 87. So I picked safe and doable muzzle velocity numbers, without getting carried away with max figures that might be pushing the limits.

I don't believe I want to try a 243 AckleyI. I just can't stand to think of the barrel wear. In fact, if a barrel burner, is an option, I would seriously consider a 20/250. There's some intersesting posts about it by guys like "1holer", "DAA", and "20-250AI" over at Saubier. Some really serious yote hunting done with this round. (not that I ever intend to use my rifle for that) There's some posts about the 50 grain bullet doing 4,100- 4,200fps, but I'm satisfied enough with the ballistics of that 20 cal 50 grain berger doing 4050fps, and did calculations on that number. At 600 yards the 87 grain 6mm bullet drops -36.3" zeroed at 400 yards....while the 50 grain Berger 20-250 drops only -25.7

Like I said, a 20 cal is one very impressive cartridge for a varmint rifle. It makes it hard for me to be enthusistic about a 6mm. But, the fact is from all ballistic data indications, that the 6x47L (using 87grVmax) will still be a fairly qualified improvement at 500-700 yard shooting over my 20Tac. As good as the 20Tac ballistics are, 500-700 yards is no longer its practical range.

I'm still leaning on the 6x47Lapua with an 87 grain bullet as a pretty darn good compromise. It would do very well on PD for the 600-700 yards. What I have found is that the ballistic show that it goes 40FPS faster at 600 yards then what the 55 grain BT bullet is doing at 600 yards.But because it so much heavier it hits with 688ft.lbs vs the 413ft.lbs of the 55grain bullet. Though the 87 grain bullet drops 5" more then the lighter 55 grain BT bullet, it blows over 6" less! Those are pretty good numbers, and I suppose a sacrifice of the 5" drop is a good trade off for the wind bucking and powerfull hitting energy. The 50 grain 20-250 bullet on the other hand would hit with 493 ft lbs of energy at 600 yards, and drops 6" less then the 55BT 6mm bullet! But the "lunch" to pay here is using a badly overbore bullet.

I still haven't ruled any of the 20 or 6mm cartridges out.
Like I say, the 20's got me spoiled and it's hard to find a good 600-700 yard supplement.

As far as Ackman goes....I think he's a good guy....just opinionated. (yea...like I'm not?) I find this amusing as he kind of reminds me of that TV Marine gunny guy, or "Red" from "That 70's Show". It's kind of neat to have the temperment and skill like that to make your point known just short of calling someone a dumb ass. :D

I think a lot of this information on this thread might be enlightening to some folks that weren't fully versed in the 20's and the 6mm's for varmint purposes. Other guys like Ackman will be content with what they have......and I can accept if they don't care to see things my way.

Last edited:
Back