Indoor Postal 100 Meter Match Unlimited Air Rifles - South Africa vs The Netherlands

Well, how about a combined set of three outdoor scores at 50 yards. At least two of the three sets of three cards would have to be shot at different ranges... This won't totally level the playing field, but would help. The more cards shot at different conditions and ranges, the better the average becomes for the whole group... So, I would prefer at least a combined set of 10 sets of three cards for the contest.

Hopefully over time and enough outdoor cards shot in different ranges and times, we have something that is somewhat fair.. but who cares if it's fair anyway.. the main purpose is to have a bunch of fun with your bros'... right?... Really we just want a reason to go shoot.. don't we?

Wacky Wayne,
Match Director,
Ashland Air Rifle Range

Well, how about a combined set of three outdoor scores at 50 yards. At least two of the three sets of three cards would have to be shot at different ranges... This won't totally level the playing field, but would help. The more cards shot at different conditions and ranges, the better the average becomes for the whole group... So, I would prefer at least a combined set of 10 sets of three cards for the contest.

Hopefully over time and enough outdoor cards shot in different ranges and times, we have something that is somewhat fair.. but who cares if it's fair anyway.. the main purpose is to have a bunch of fun with your bros'... right?... Really we just want a reason to go shoot.. don't we?

Wacky Wayne,
Match Director,
Ashland Air Rifle Range

Good points, but I think 50m already exist in the "formal" bench setup. This is exclusively for 100m shooting.

Yes, we all just want a reason to shoot more.

I think we will find it difficult to get a date during November. We had to move the match with NL/Be forward due to our local competitions already. I'm not effected, but a lot of the other guys are.

I want to make a further suggestion. It is crazy jumping between forums (currently already 3 and I know our Canadian friends might also be interested) to try and keep everyone updated on what is being discussed. We need to decide where we do this primarily and everyone interested should then log in there.

All suggestions welcomed ....

Wannebe,

I suggest right here.

Now, to the rules. We need to make this simple. SA shoots indoor at 100m using the 50m international target. The USA shoots outdoors at 25m using the 25m international target. 9 members per team shooting 3 targets, average score and X count wins. We are ready.

Wannebe,

I suggest right here.

Now, to the rules. We need to make this simple. SA shoots indoor at 100m using the 50m international target. The USA shoots outdoors at 25m using the 25m international target. 9 members per team shooting 3 targets, average score and X count wins. We are ready.

I thought you would suggest that ;) I will direct all to here ....

I'm the least important guy you need to convince. We need the rest to join in. Let's see what happens .....

.....PS: If that Dawson oke come past here, tell him I need that action and trigger now more than ever ......

In the interest of fun and fairness, I suggest compromising on distance long before venues, indoors / outdoors and relying on something alike the Duckworth Lewis scoring system to determine the winners

I'm rather competitive by nature and in the interest of fairness I would rather compete under similar conditions at 25 metres than compete at varying conditions to accommodate 100 metres.

I understand this began as a 100 metre event, however we may have to seriously consider changing a few things to accommodate all on an equal playing field

Yeti,

No problem. Both teams shoot outdoors at 25m using the 25m international target. We will even agree to shoot any air rifle up to the Open class. November 12, there will be a match in Holbrook, MA, where we will begin putting our scores together.

How many members and teams would you prefer?

Since our first club matches started three years ago, its been our policy to not allow refilling until after a card is completed. For awhile, this tended to limit gun power, since we often needed to fire thirty record shots plus sighters, but eventually we could shoot about as hard as we like with .22 pellets and still complete a leg without refilling.

Its safer and less distracting this way as well.

I have looked for a convenient run I could fit a 100M tunnel on my property, but so far there isn't a location with reasonable distance I could afford to work with on my land. My fifty one yard tunnel would require extensive rock breaking and run into a stout hill after around 20 more yards at the most. I don't want something aboveground.

Yeti,

No problem. Both teams shoot outdoors at 25m using the 25m international target. We will even agree to shoot any air rifle up to the Open class. November 12, there will be a match in Holbrook, MA, where we will begin putting our scores together.

How many members and teams would you prefer?

25 Meters indoor with unlimited rifles sounds like a good solution. Seems 25 meter indoor ranges is more assessable. Also keep in mind that the European Championships in 2013 is a good reason to extend the visit and do a 100 m indoor match in The Netherlands before or after the Championships.

Gert

Howdy Gents,

I am another visitor from www.airrifle.co.za in South Africa.

I believe this postal idea is excellent.

SUGGESTION:
Establish the rules entirely beforehand, and then allow an entire month for results to be submitted to a neutral territory (such as Switzerland ;) ) for scoring to take place by someone who knows noone involved in the competition.

We 'sign up' for an entry where serial numbers are printed on the targets and they are distributed by mail.

The targets must be shot in the presence of 2 other competing shooters, all of whom sign the target afterwards, and the original targets are posted off to the pre-agreed scorer.

This allows you to try to choose your weather conditions for an outdoor shoot, but if you wait too long you run the risk of running out of time.

100m outdoors will be a MAJOR challenge, but therein lies the fun :D

Following the same priciples, we could have a monthly competition each with a different discipline - and shooters can squeeze their shooting time in after a regional or local competition so it is not a massive drain on everyone's time.

What do you think?

JG,

Again, we agree. We need rules but indoors at anything over 25 yards is a problem. We are more than willing to shoot outdoors for a short while longer, then weather becomes an issue in many areas.

So, we need to move quickly. We have three venues willing to shoot outdoors at 25m with the international target in November. Any air rifle class is fine with us. South Africa, we await your decision.

Hopefully, in the spring, we will do the same with Australia.

Yes Australia V USA April 2012 as an International Postal Match is sounding good.
2 teams of 3 @ 25M Outdoors, probably LV class at this stage as we dont have many HV class Air rifles here at this stage but that is about to change so who knows, i will be in touch.

Bill,

April it is. I believe we have a few shooters that might have some potential in the LV class. Looking forward to it. Thanks.

JG,

Again, we agree. We need rules but indoors at anything over 25 yards is a problem. We are more than willing to shoot outdoors for a short while longer, then weather becomes an issue in many areas.

So, we need to move quickly. We have three venues willing to shoot outdoors at 25m with the international target in November. Any air rifle class is fine with us. South Africa, we await your decision.

Hopefully, in the spring, we will do the same with Australia.

Chris, why not just shoot the 2012 WRABF Air Rifle World Postal? http://www.wrabf.com

We have 2 Open Championships in November (WRABF rules) - we can just submit those targets for a SA/USA postal. We'll have to use the HV class (20fpe) targets because your Open Class differ to ours.

Paul

Last edited:
We (SGBSA) have our Open Championship at Surefocus on the 19 November. We normally shoot only 1 target per class but we can shoot an additional 2 targets in the HV class for a SA/USA postal.

We use WRABF rules and targets (same rules as the WRABF Postal), we enter 3 x 3 shooter teams per country for team competition and no limit on individual entries.

Individual score out of 750 (x) and team score out of 2250 (x)

Paul

OK, the serious bench guys have now pitched.

I'm into the 100m fun thing so I will step back and let you lot get on with it.

Goodluck ....

Albert

Paul,

We will be shooting the 2012 World Postal.

We would be honored to shoot a postal match with South Africa. HV is fine for us. How about 3 X 3 teams for our match?

We will be shooting around the November 19 time frame as well.

Except for winter weather in some areas, I think 100M outdoors would be more doable than most shooters would admit, since there ARE many firearms ranges around, BUT, from what I can see of most airgunners, ESP experienced airgun bench shooters, they would likely stay away from it, for the most part. I suspect the thought of submitting the coffee-cup sized groups they might see during random wind conditions would prevent open competition for most.

Compared to shooting outdoors, it truly doesn't take a lot of skill to shoot indoors, its more a matter of having a decent gun and really great equipment, but that seems to be the biggest attraction for many airgun benchrest shooters. Stretching the distance indoors stretches to gap between standard rigs and exceptional rigs. but I don't think the same is true with ong range outdoor shooting ... where shooting skills outweigh small equipment advantages.

Since this thread may have an audience of international shooters, allow me to provide a different opinion from the last poster.

Many "experienced airgun bench shooters" in the USA have also shot benchrest with rimfire and centerfire rifles, therefore, they are quite aware that most ranges/clubs can allow shooting out to 100 yards/meters and beyond, if required.

These same shooters have no fear of "the thought of submitting the coffee-cup sized groups", competition is what motivates them. The USA has established Open and Unlimited air rifle classes and shooting at 50 yards. If our shooters accept these new items, longer range distances will be reviewed. Rest assured, that USA benchrest shooting of all types has always been on the cutting edge and will continue to be.

Shooting indoors is certainly different than shooting outdoors, however, 100 yards/meters indoors will always be a challenging distance for existing air rifle designs. Not to mention, that many structures that will allow for 100 yard/meter shooting often have a unique set of conditions to contend with.

Last edited by a moderator:
We out West are shooting this weekend at 25 meters and 77 yards outdoors. Airgun Benchrest, shoulder to shoulder, with over forty competitors. It will be the largest State or regional Benchrest match ever held for airgunners in this country.

Back