Indexing Again

Oh, now don't get all upset. I actuallly thought it was kinda funny in a comic book hero type of way.

Do have a question for you, or anybody else conducting tests or making up tests or whatever concerning indexing and a 6 O'clock firing pin. I've heard it said that a bottom pin was probably more expensive to produce but I doubt that if that's the way it had been designed in the beginning. Well, Remington, Anschuz, Suhl (or really East Germany), you know all the players at one time, did not see a reason to do it and I'm sure they thought about it and experimented with it. So, why not? Probably because they saw no benefit.

Now, on to indexing. Well most likely there is some sort of indexing, but I doubt that there is a clock indexing of each gun to each barrel. I don't know that because I've never worked for either. But thing about the cost. It ain't happening. So, that would be a cost issue.

So, for my part, I'll go with the major players, and Remington was a major player in the accuracy game at one time, and say there is no real benefit to a 6 O'clock pin or indexing. Now could there really be another X in there? Possibly and that would be enough for serious accuracy buffs to embrace both or either.

Oh, I'm not upset, I knew you thought it was funny.

In Europe, all the major players are very friendly, while remaining very secretive. The only time something leaks is because they want it to leak. Anschutz, FWB, Walther, Hammerli, Tanner and others all do testing, so only a couple of possible conclusions. One, 6o'clock firing pins do not help or two, they do help but cost more and no one wants to be first to raise their prices. You know that once one does it, the rest will follow. Threaded receivers might also fall into this same category.

I do not know how much testing Remington and Winchester did back in their heyday of rimfire rifles but being corporations with stockholders to answer to, my guess is that testing was simply viewed as another cost and something to be avoided.

Indexing is another matter. It has long been rumored that all of the European manufacturers do some version of indexing on barrels, especially on those for hand selection. "Tuning" is well known and enlarged muzzle diameters were the first signs that they knew extra weight on the barrel end helped. Now the position game and targets are very different than benchrest but for the last couple of years, the American style of benchrest has been growing in Europe and elsewhere. I doubt this has been lost on any of the big boys.

Enlarged muzzles probably do help because of weight but primarily they create a choke in the end of the barrel. Some of these European barrels are tight, loose, tight, certainly not up to American custom barrel standards, but they still shoot. Mainly because of that choke that is created by not turning down that part of the barrel.

Asked if anybody ever tested the 6 o'clock firing pin. I did about 4 or 5 years ago. But I wouldn't say it was scientific in any sense as it was out doors in a light breeze. I used two Time Precisions and four lots of Midas L if my memory serves me right. Primarily I was testing to see if the dual pin was better than the single. In each rifle two lots seemed to shoot a bit better with dual vs 6 o'clock and two lots seemed about the same. But they weren't the same lots with each gun. Also I had a chrono set up and the dual fining pins gave a lower SD and higher velocity. With the single pin I also was using a lighter firing pin spring that gave the same impression in the case. My conclusion was the dual pin has a slight advantage over the 6 o'clock although Bill told me once the dual was a bad idea because it does take a stronger spring, thus more barrel vibration. I currently use the dual and my granddaughter uses a single because the dual spring is hard to cock. The Times big draw back is hard to load for fat fingered shooters. Rich

Need to Index

Rich:
I remember you tests, and agree, that the dual pins were more effective than either a 6 or 12 o'clock by them self. Time was the only action builder that stayed with it. If they would only make an action for fat fingered shooters. Now as for the value of indexing a 22RF barrel, it is essential that one must index these barrels to correct the problems encountered when one changes target distance. That so called droop, is a reallity. In certain disaplines, shooter must change the POA for different target distances. If a barrel in inproperly indexed, the shooter will never be able to compete with those that have had their equipment properly indexed. Therefore, in my opinion, indexing a 22RF barrel is essential of accuracy, regardless of dissapline. My smith's did it, and I still believe they knew and believed in what they were doing, to provide accurate equipment to their customers. Damned shame, these knowledgable smiths are not able to defend their intergrity in this disgussion.

Carp
I guess I don't know what your asking me in your post.
I did like post #34 near the bottom.
"You people seem to make a study of Bill Calfee and still haven't caught some of the most important things he writes. Have you ever noticed that when Bill is critical about indexing a barrel he always says "indexing for accuracy". To me, that means Bill is not saying that he does not use some form of indexing, he's simply saying the accuracy potential of rotating a barrel to some point over a 360 degree circle is, as he sees it, not there. Now to be fair, Mike Ross indexes for accuracy and he says the improvement is there. Maybe it is; maybe it isn't."

In centerfire some gunsmiths orient/index the curve in the bore so it always faces the same direction.I have an opinion on this as well but no empirical data o suppot it.
Waterboy

Rich:
I remember you tests, and agree, that the dual pins were more effective than either a 6 or 12 o'clock by them self. Time was the only action builder that stayed with it. If they would only make an action for fat fingered shooters. Now as for the value of indexing a 22RF barrel, it is essential that one must index these barrels to correct the problems encountered when one changes target distance. That so called droop, is a reallity. In certain disaplines, shooter must change the POA for different target distances. If a barrel in inproperly indexed, the shooter will never be able to compete with those that have had their equipment properly indexed. Therefore, in my opinion, indexing a 22RF barrel is essential of accuracy, regardless of dissapline. My smith's did it, and I still believe they knew and believed in what they were doing, to provide accurate equipment to their customers. Damned shame, these knowledgable smiths are not able to defend their intergrity in this disgussion.

Yes it is, but I believe two years ago I read something that said only 20 WWI veterans were alive worldwide. Couldn't really expect your smiths to make it could you?

BTW, are you saying index for distance? Kinda flies in the face of everything else we've heard doesn't it? If only Billy Dixon were around to tell us if his smith indexed his gun for distance. You guys probably had mutual smiths I'd say.

Does a tuner somewhat negate the need for indexing due to its weight creating a bend in the barrel? I am pretty sure Mike doesn't use a tuner in his test but don't know about Bill. But it would still seem best to me to combine the two. Might not need as much weight if the barrel is indexed. Don't know, just thinking out loud.

Rich

Does a tuner somewhat negate the need for indexing due to its weight creating a bend in the barrel? I am pretty sure Mike doesn't use a tuner in his test but don't know about Bill. But it would still seem best to me to combine the two. Might not need as much weight if the barrel is indexed. Don't know, just thinking out loud.

Howdy,
Bill did not use a tuner for his tests in the PS articles. He gave an explanation in the article as to why, at least on this test, it may skew the results, and he did not want the results affected by the tuner.

Greg

This test?

It has been a tough few days and expensive, too.

We had to find a 100 yard long, environmentally controlled building, very state of the art.

Then we constructed 3 benches using 6 x 4 lumber, legs, stringers and spacers, all dadoed, bolted and glued together. The master carpenters involved did a great job.

These benches had to hold 3 custom return-to-battery rail rests that turned out to weigh 46 pounds each.. The rests are set up to have a square Anschutz action bolted to the main platform. This platform is designed to rotate through 360 degrees on roller bearings. This system was used so no clamping force would be applied to any section of the barrels.

Next, 9 barrels were acquired, all 4 groove, 1-16 twist and hand lapped, to be as typical to benchrest standards as possible. 3 barrels were designated to each of the 3 rests.

Each barrel was mounted in a random position and shot for a 10 shot group and then the main platform was rotated 180 degrees to the 6'oclock position and another 10 shot group was fired. Additional 10 shot groups were fired at 3'oclock and 9'oclock as control groups. A full rotation for a barrel consisted of 40 shots. Each 40 shot cycle was dedicated to one target. Each of the targets was secretly coded to indicate the rest, the barrel and the actual firing position. This item would become critical in the evaluation phase to maintain triple blind study protocols. This was repeated 10 times for each barrel. 400 shots per barrel times 9 barrels equals 3,600 shots on 90 targets. All shooting was done in free recoil style, attempting to reduce human variables.

The targets were delivered by bonded and certified carrier to a well known university mathematics department. Each of 3 graduate students were assigned 30 targets to do the statistical analysis. Again, no student knew which targets they were evaluating so that preconceived preferences would be eliminated.

Conclusion, the 6'oclock firing pin shows no benefit "for accuracy". All the targets will be photographed and published as soon as I piece them back together, the dog ate them.

P.S. Thanks to RBS for the inspiration.

Howdy,
Hulk, are you comparing the above "inspiration" to the test that was posted on Mike Ross' site and all but ignored? I can post it here so folks can get the actual details.

Well,

After two broken bones and some time off, I tested and tested and tested. Four 2013's in all. Shilen barrels. Moved the barrels to different actions. Then took all the results to a statistician I know. Over 5,000 rounds in all. The statistician knew I was testing something but not what. His conclusion: NO MEASURABLE VARIATION. I guess I wanted it to work, but this was double blinded. I suppose I have to live with the result. Not trying to change anybody's mind, but a significant test indicates indexing is a waste of time. I'll trust the test at least for 2013's

221.39 in reply to 221.38

I'll tell you how it was done. I still have not retrieved the targets from the statistician. There were four 2013's, original factory barrels to begin with. I shot these minimally just to see how they compared and to make sure they were consistent and the actions were okay. They were. I then obtained four custom barrels and had them configured by the same gunsmith. I put them on each of the rifles with no orientation again just to see if there was an obvious problem. There wasn't.

I then lined them up and shot each at eight clock positions. That's what I was told although I have seen where some people say 16 or 32. Anyway, these were at 7.5 minutes each. One lot of Eley Tenex was used; no more. It may not have been the very best but it was very good and it was available in the quantity I needed. I started with each barrel 15 five shot groups at each position. In all eight I think that's 600 rounds through each rifle. I had a friend, who is adept in these things, change the barrels and record the position. I then had the same person change the barrels until all four barrels were shot in each rifle in all positions. You can imagine the shooting and record keeping involved here but I get obsessed with these things and I couldn't move very well anyway. There were time it felt so much like a job, I just wanted to quit, but I kept at it.

It was an inside range (call it a tunnel if you want; temp controlled but not with forced air, and there are very sensitive air movement sensors mounted in strategic areas. Personally, a few times I thought I would see a change for the positive and then not so much. Doing the shooting, it was just hard to say. Finally, I took everything the stats guy. He's a university associate, but he's independent and I psid for the job ( not cheap). He says no noticeable difference. He used a variety of tools including multi variable linear regression. I'll see if I can get his graphs, but I think he wants to use the targets as a project for his students. He teaches masters level stats. Right now, I'm preparing for surgery, so I guess my broken bones were not so minimal after all.

I figure I have $10,000 invested in this, but it was fun.

221.48 in reply to 221.47

Hello Mike,

I don't make any challenge to what you have found or what your experiments showed. However, the statement "you saw what you saw" is only partially true. Obviously, I saw it, but my "lean" was towards indexing thus the unbiased (and trust me on that) helper, and the statistician. Otherwise, I feel I would have tainted the experiment. What I just "eyeballed" told me very little and I could, at times, say indexing works, and at other times indexing doesn't. I had a physics professor along with the stats guy help me design the experiment to take as many variables out as possible. Of course, any experiment can be flawed. I suppose I could repeat it, but don't think so. Too much work. At this time, I'll have to accept that there is no significant difference at least in a BR setting. It is not what I would have expected either. After going to considerable trouble and expense, I would like to have this written up by a technical writer. I may try to get that done. Anyway, I'll be out of pocket for the next two-three weeks.

Hulk, is this what you are trying to parody?

Seriously?

Greg

P.S. Thanks to Bob Taylor for doing an actual scientific test, backed up by statistics. And admitting up front that he had a bias FOR indexing. But accepting the results.

There is a bit more to the story, if anyone wishes to read it, here is the link:

http://www.rimfireaccuracy.com/Forums/showthread.php/16-Vote-results/page4

Post #38 is where I have a bit more info.

Lynn,
You Quote.
In centerfire some gunsmiths orient/index the curve in the bore so it always faces the same direction.I have an opinion on this as well but no empirical data o suppot it.
Waterboy

Don't you shoot centerfire? Isn't it like 600 to 1000 yards? No matter.....you said you held records easily found some time ago. And you hold no opinions as to where a barrel is pointed. Well then Lynn ask your gunsmith to just thread that burger and put it on, no matter where it works out.....lands or grooves at 6:00 or bent portion anywhere in the spectrum....and compete with it. Maybe you'll learn something about your barrel. Does Bill smith your centerfires? He's got to eat so he has to do more that RF you know. If he does then great for you and you'll notice real quick that it aint just threaded and screwed on.....well maybe. Until you shoot and compete in RF you don't know squat.....are you Squatty? LOL

John M. Carper

p.s. don't believe everything you read. You know giant newspapers missed a Pres. election once and since the early 60's most writing has been subjective to criticism for fact of content. Fact of life. Doesn't give or take away from anyone, just how it goes. Ask yourself this.....if it is written then it is done? Look at the U.S. Constitution....the Supreme Court still argues those words and they are the some 10th or 12th or more generation to do so.

Pss. Lynn, I posted facts in my previous post about WT. That was my original question.....do you know any? But since you mention some of yours I thought I'd add some more interesting information

Last edited by a moderator:
Carp
I use several gunsmiths to do my work and one of them installs them in any old direction while another orients them.In actual shooting I see no differences on the target other than the point of impact during barrel swaps.In longrange we swap out barrels every year for both our lightguns and heavyguns so with two people shooting we go through 4 match barrels a year.

I am glad you thought your post contained useful information in it.I didn't see it but I am sure others did.
Bill Calfee was offered any sum of money to set up a pair of barrels for myself but was too busy to do the work.Hopefully before he retires he will find the time as the offer is open ended.
Waterboy

With All Due Respect

Greg,

Seriously.

Not actually a parody, more as an example. While attempting to be as sensitive as possible to your friend's situation, it is unreasonable to lend any credibility to your friend's "test" until some bit of documentation to substantiate it's validity is available.

You have posted this series of messages from Mike's forum several times, as if they were the gospel. No targets, no data, no pictures and you expect us to accept this "test" as the last word? Seriously?

If someone were to be fair, which is a foreign concept to you, if this "test" does exist, someone would understand and report that it does not simply wipe out all the testing that has been done by other gunsmiths and the results that were observed over the years. I am sorry if my example appeared to be disrespectful to your friend, however, there needs to be more to this story.

Hulk

Howdy Hulk,
Please understand that I don't know Bob Taylor personally. I only exchanged some posts with him on Mike's forum regarding his test, and his broken bones. I sincerely hope he gets well.

You may be surprised to find that we actually have some areas of agreement here. I think I posted about his condition, at least as far as I know, after you wrote your "example". I thought it was more parody, but I will go with example. (The quotation marks around the word example are not intended in any way to be sarcastic.) So there was no way that you intended that to be offensive or disrespectful to his condition.

You said there needs to be more to this story. I agree 100%. He did say, and I posted it here also:

"After going to considerable trouble and expense, I would like to have this written up by a technical writer. I may try to get that done. Anyway, I'll be out of pocket for the next two-three weeks."

I would like to see it written up, obviously you would as well. It might not be that I agree with it all. It might not be that you agree with it all. But it does need to get written up.

Most importantly, I hope the guy recovers, for him and his family. Somewhere down the road I hope he does the write up of the test.

The thing that struck me about the test is the details that he mentioned. He seemed to haver tried really, really hard to make it as valid as he knew how. And he went to the trouble of having a physics professor and a statistician help him design a test that was as free of bias as possible. And he admitted that he was biased FOR indexing. Hulk, I just thought this was a very detailed, legitimate attempt to do the job right.

I was surprised, very surprised, to see that only two people attempted to rebutt what he said. And he did say that he needed to get it written up, and that he had not retrieved the targets from the stats guy.

But the thing is, Mike and Jeff BOTH accepted the test and gave it credibility. They both wanted to see the hard evidence, certainly. But they both accepted the test and gave it credibility. That would have to be out of respect to Bob Taylor. I have been told that he is a noted cardiologist who is known for being obsessive in his research. That is accurate as far as I know.

So, if he lives, presumably there will be targets, data and pictures.

Ironically enough, I have read where folks have called for statistical analysis to prove Bill Calfee is right, yet I have not read of statistical analysis being applied to Mike, or Jeff's testing. Jeff did say that he shot over 20,000 rounds developing his tuner stock, and he was convinced. But even Bob said at times he thought indexing appeared to be working, and at times he thought it might not be, during his test. When the info went to the statistician, was when it got down to the answer of "No measurable variation".

Mike and Jeff, as far as I know, have not had thier results checked by a statistician.

Mike's answer to Bob includes that at the bottom of his reply that I am posting here.

It may be that when the details of the test come out, that there will be something that can be noticed in the test that would have had an unexpected impact on the it. And it is only through closely examining the data that we can find out. I suspect the test will be published someday.

Hulk, I don't know what to say to your charge of :

"If someone were to be fair, which is a foreign concept to you,"

I use complete quotations so that the context can be preserved. It is more difficult to mix up a quote from someone if the entire quote is right there where it can be seen. I try to include both sides of the story. On the big indexing thread on rimfireaccuracy, Samiam got after me for being "main stream media in thier approach to reporting politics" when I posted Bob Taylor's test. So I posted Mike Ross and Jeff Madison's comments to Bob also. Samiam then told me "Nice work, you could probably get a job on one of those fair and balanced networks". Now those quotes are from my memory, I should probably go back and get them verbatim, but that was the general idea. So, at least at that point, Samiam thought I was being being fair. He and I had a disagreement at the end of that thread that I didn't get to answer.

But I try to be fair. I am going to guess that as folks thoughts solidify on whichever position that they agree with, I will be viewed as fair or unfair based more on the position that they agree with than what I have actually said, or how I have said it. Sadly, such is human nature.

Hulk, I didn't mean for this to be this lengthy, but I am going to close with Mike Ross' response to Bob Taylor and his test. Note what I said earlier. Mike accepted Bob's test and gave it credibility. Again, I suppose this is based upon the credibility that he assigned to Bob Taylor. It was Mike's acceptance of this test that led me to post it, yes, several times. I could not understand why it could be accepted and given credibility, and then not be discussed again. I still don't.

Hulk, we may just have to agree to disagree. I certainly don't wish you any ill, or have any animosity toward you.

There is a lot in Mike's response. I don't think his explanation of a BR rifle being indifferent to indexing works.

Take care,
Greg

"Now that I'm back from my brief vacation, wherin I intentionally avoided all exposure to "web forums", I think I now have the energy to once again tackle the "great indexing mystery". Consequently I have read and studied your post with great interest, and not a little admiration for your grit and determination. Not to mention the 10k investment you made.

I have no way of refuting the outcome of the extensive tests that you ran, or the application of "statistical analysis" to the performance results. All I can safely say is that your statisticians conclusions are very different from my own, and that there has to be a reason for that difference.
My best guess is that the cause of that difference, has everything to do with the disparity of the testing process each of us has used to draw our respective conclusions. But that presumes that I have a full understanding of how your tests were conducted, so allow me to first state that, and then you can correct me if necessary.

What I "think" you did, was to (in effect) test multiple rifles in a benchrest configuration, sampling the performance of each indexing position of the barrels, but firing these rifles as "complete rifles". Additionally, each index of each barrel was fired separately at individual targets, such that no "bore-curve dispersion pattern" could be observed, merely the "size" of each group as a function of barrel index position. Consequently, you likely were not aware of the "actual" orientation of the barrel's bore curve with respect to gravity.
When the groups fired showed no "statistical" change in size, you had every right to conclude that a benchrested rifle would NOT benefit from any particular bore-curve orientation. And the last thing I will do here, is to ask you to accept that your observations were incorrect. You saw what you saw, and your statistician confirmed what you saw, so I am the one obliged to accept that outcome, and left to speculate over the "why" of it.

Obviously, I didn't think that would happen. But in accepting that it did, it forces me to conclude that maybe Bill Calfee has been right all along. That by virtue of any rifle being fired in a benchrest configuration, it will remain "indifferent" to any particular bore-curve orientation. And that the reason for this, is most likely due to the complete rifle becoming "self-correcting" by virtue of its "free-recoil" pattern of motion. In other words, there can be no such thing as an "incorrect index", when the entire rifle is allowed the freedom to move as it chooses, with each individual shot fired.
This would then mean that barrel-indexing, as it might apply to rimfire benchrest shooting, has been nothing more than a "tempest in a teapot". And that ANY improvement derived for that sport, would remain purely "coincidental". Or perhaps "accidental".

Well alright then. The test you conducted has fairly well convinced me that the "phenomenon" of bore-curves, and the particular orientation of them, will demonstrate group improvement only when barrels remain "fixed". Which of course is the only way I have ever tested them for that effect. And that the mistake I have made, is that I never carried such testing forward into a "practical application", the way you did.

HOWEVER, the reality of bore-curves remains, and their ability to alter the performance of any barrel, has not been disproven or dispelled. Nor has our ability to determine such bore-curves been altered, through the performance of a barrel-indexing test.
We merely have the choice of ignoring the curve orientation, or setting it to a position that "might" prove an advantage in perhaps unforseen ways. Wider ammo options, or an easier "tuning" process. Or the "qualification" of a barrel's potential, on the basis of the degree of bore-curve present.
In the end, I will again refer to one of Jeff Madisons statements: "The bore curve is there, now what are you going to do with it?"
Personally, I'm still convinced that simply ignoring bore curve orientation is NOT an acceptable option. And here are the reasons I would say that:

1) There is evidence to suggest that barrels with no discernable bore-curve, will out perform barrels that have obvious curves, made self-evident through the act of indexing.

2) Index-firing a barrel with any bore-curve present, will (at 50 yards) demonstrate an unequal trapezoidal pattern, and that a vertical orientation of the curve will unfailingly show the barrel's preference for that orientation. With any ammo fired. And as long as the barrel remains "fixed", AS it is fired. There must be a reason for this, even if none of us knows for sure what it is.

3) Barrels move. They will oscillate more or less "unpredicably", while the bullet is still inside the bore, affecting the "shape" of the bullet while it traverses the bore. A predominate vertical motion of the barrel (thereby working with gravity) "seems" the least harmful to the bullet's original shape. Or the degree of "offset" manner in which it will exit the muzzle. In other words, it appears to "stabilize" sooner.

4) The commensurate "vertical stringing" of bullets landing at 50 yards, with vertical bore-curve orientation, are far easier to "tune out".

5) Benchrested rifles, capable of some sort of "self-correcting" oscillatory "fix", is all well and good. BUT, but that is not the ONLY way that smallbore rifles are fired. Sometimes, they are rigidly held by the shooter, such that the "self-correction" factor is not as readily available.

6) There are principles of physics relating to bore-curve orientation, that are still mysterious. But any attempt to deny that a barrel will alter the way it vibrates, predicated on that curve-direction, is equivilent to saying that rifle bullets (or barrels) are indifferent to gravity.

In the end, it would appear that both you and Bill Calfee have reached near identical conclusions. That any rifle shot in a benchrest configuration, will not statistically benefit from a vertical bore-curve orientation. At least not "directly", as a function of obviously reduced group sizes. I can live with that.

BUT, how might you explain the dozens of results I have pictured here on this Forum. The trapezoid dispersion shape is self-evident. The barrel's obvious "favoritism" for a vertical bore-curve orientation is self-evident.
There must be reasons for that, even if there remains no proof that there is any way to translate this "phenomenon" into a "practical" application. But then, what would constitute adequate proof, over an "inference" of possible improvement?

I cannot challenge your rersults, merely await your challenge of my own, based on what I have shown you within this Forum. Surely you will not say that they are not real, even if I haven't any statistics to back them up."

I know it's got to be but I'm gonna do it anyway. I'm gonna ask a stupid question. Indexing is rotating the barrel to the point where it has the "best" accuracy and that could be any of an infinite number of degrees or fractions of degrees around a circle right? At least that's how it started but it seems to have evolved to either having the bore curve straight up or straight down right? Now we read this stuff and we think of the bore curve as just a big old curve that we can easily see but really probably only a very trained eye could see it and maybe not even then. So, we talk about all these stresses that are created because the bullet is taking this curved path, which from what I understand may not just be one curve. In other words maybe is curves like a double "S" and then down or up on the end. So, what good would it do to put the end of the barrel, thus the end of curve or curves straight up or down. It wouldn't stop the stress. But anyway that's not really the question. So here it is.

What does it matter? If you want to, do it, if you don't want to don't. Problem solved.

HIGB

Just a thought (Wally) and Lynn,
Well either you're just incredibly stupid or incredibly smart and don't know the difference for accuracy. All barrels have some form of curvature. Some are worse than others. Any gunsmith that would install a barrel with two different curves without testing it to be a really great shooter is a louse. Indexing is also evaluating a barrel. Those that spin them in their lathes and slug them and eventually chamber and thread them (if threads are needed) are essentially indexing. If Lynn has a gunsmith that just threads them and screws them on then he has a "gun plumber". That is fine for a person that supposedly holds a 600 yard group world record and no opinion or recollection of who might of done the work. Details are benchrest roots. I can tell you almost everything I've observed in the some 25000 rounds I've fired over the last 5 years but some just don't get it. Secrets? maybe. Just plain stupid? probably. Just keyboard shooters? definately until they prove it in rimfire.

John M. Carper

p.s. why dont you folks sign your name and location? Credibility is pristine territory for those that cannot determine the difference between truth (fact) and contraversy (unknown details)

I read about rimfire because I want to learn, and because the discussions can be amusing. I don't know nuttin'.

Let me get this straight, one famous gunsmith wrote an article about tests that showed that indexing does not work. He had photos of his targets. Another gunsmith published an an article that showed that it does He had pictures of his targets. A third fellow comes along and gives an account of an exhaustive test that he has done, but furnishes absolutely no documentation. Why even argue about his results when there is no documentation? Why not wait till it is produced? Evidently, no pictures were taken of the benches, the range, or the shooting setup, nor were there any scans made or pictures taken of the targets. Why not wait till all of this shows up, and then argue when there is something to argue about? Just a thought...
Boyd Allen Fresno,CA

Just a thought (Wally) and Lynn,
Well either you're just incredibly stupid or incredibly smart and don't know the difference for accuracy. All barrels have some form of curvature. Some are worse than others. Any gunsmith that would install a barrel with two different curves without testing it to be a really great shooter is a louse. Indexing is also evaluating a barrel. Those that spin them in their lathes and slug them and eventually chamber and thread them (if threads are needed) are essentially indexing. If Lynn has a gunsmith that just threads them and screws them on then he has a "gun plumber". That is fine for a person that supposedly holds a 600 yard group world record and no opinion or recollection of who might of done the work. Details are benchrest roots. I can tell you almost everything I've observed in the some 25000 rounds I've fired over the last 5 years but some just don't get it. Secrets? maybe. Just plain stupid? probably. Just keyboard shooters? definately until they prove it in rimfire.

John M. Carper

p.s. why dont you folks sign your name and location? Credibility is pristine territory for those that cannot determine the difference between truth (fact) and contraversy (unknown details)

Well Carp (Homer?) if it's that important to you there you go. Lived in Louisville most of my life and still do a lot of work there. I just asked a question. I read the Calfee article and he called one barrel "old crooked creek" which tells me it meanders. I would say a lot of them do. Deep hole drilling is not easy no matter the material and the drill tends to go this way and that way. But it's virtually impreceptible to the human eye. I guess you could put some sort of isotope in it and tell, but if there's a barrel out there with on consistent curvature, I would love to see it. But I don't gunsmith. I don't shoot much anymore, but I may start back. Where do you shoot?

Alright. I don't know how to get my name to replace registered user. Maybe you can tell me. Anyway, there's your locaton, and I guess you can look at the about me to get the name.

A Tale of Two Forums

Greg,

First, yes, we will most likely have to agree to disagree.

I respect Bill Calfee, I sound like a broken record but I do not think he walks on water. It is commendable that Wallace has provided a venue for Bill's opinions but have no doubt, that forum shows every day, it has a definite slant.

Consider my "charge" a shot across the bow. It was simply an observation of how you and the other moderators treat posters that challenge Bill's opinions. My judgement may be clouded by recent events but time will tell.

I fail to see your point on two issues. One, why do you think it is important that Mike and Jeff "accepted the test and gave it credibility."? Two, your "charge" that Mike and Jeff "have not had thier results checked by a statistician."

On number one, I know you do not speak for either Mike or Jeff. Nevertheless, if that is how they feel, does this mean we should all line up behind the piper? On number two, when was the first time that Bill had his results checked by a statistician?

On a positive note, we do agree on "very surprised, to see that only two people attempted to rebutt what he said." Call me a cynic if you will but no one earns my respect through words, there had better be actions to back it up. My "example" was to highlight that something in the form of actual documentation needs to be presented. Without a shred of evidence, our $10,000 test becomes nothing more than a fairy tale.

I will second your hopes that this gentleman recovers from his tragic circumstances.

Lastly, you and Bill have been discussing "isolating the barrel". Now I have some experience with the English language and others, but I need a translation of Bill's recent post regarding whether or not a clamped action can be used for a "valid" test of indexing barrels. I did read it 3 times. Sorry, he lost me again.

Gentlemen,
In reading some previous posts it appears that Mike Ross and I (Jeffrey Madison) are being treated as being "of one mind" and although I hold Mike, and his research in high regard, our views may differ. He has politely and respectfully responded to the test that Bob Taylor did and if you wish to take that as Mike giving it total credibility that is your prerogative. I, on the other hand, have not agreed with his testing but certainly will not discredit his efforts. I hold certifications in metrology and statistical analysis and will reserve my judgement until I read the report.

Mike and I do have some common thoughts about maintaining our objectivity and attempting to discover the facts of the matter. There is a lot more research to be accomplished as to the affects of barrel indexing, along with the testing methods, and for me it is too early in the program to come to a finite conclusion.

Jeff

Back