Inaccurate Scope Turrets? Anyone else ever have this problem??

G

guitarguy0731

I'm starting to realize that the clicks on my scope turrets are not accurate, that is they are not truly 1/4 MOA as specified. For example, with a 100 yard zero for my .223, I have 9 inches of drop at 300 yards. Do the math, 9 inches at 300 is 3 MOA x 1/4 MOA clicks = 12 clicks of adjustment needed right? Wrong, I actually need 18 clicks to come on bullseye. I started messing around at other ranges and making elevations corrections, and did some calculations, and my scope seems to consistently give me 1/6 MOA clicks. So every click at 300 is 1/2 inch, when it should be 3/4 inch at that range. I've already went over the obvious variables..i.e....Environmental conditions were similar to those when weapon was zeroed and when i made my drop chart. same temp, same time of year, same range, same bullets, same everything. The only thing i can figure is that my scope turrets are not accurate and are giving me slightly smaller correction per click than what they should. Has anyone else experienced this? The scope in question is a Springfield Armory 14x. For you Springfield haters, i realize its not the best scope to begin with, but its what i can afford and its a great scope apart from the inaccurate clicks??? Anyone else's stories of similar problems greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I have been told that a lot of scopes coming from Hong Kong (that's China, but I won't say that out loud) have adjustments that move faster & slower than advertised depending on the power of the particular model.

Where is the SA scope sourced?

is that really a helpful comment? Read my post again and decide whether or not you answered my question? I did not ask for critiques of my purchasing decisions. Subpar shooters "learn to live with it", Exceptional shooters ask questions, research, solve problems, and seek constant improvement in their skills, knowledge, and equipment. You may "learn to live" with your deficiencies, i'll continue to improve and overcome mine, thanks.

John,
Scope was sourced out of Japan, by Haiko. Since my original post, i also test one of my other rifle scopes, a Leatherwood, and its click values are off as well. They are supposed to be 1/4 MOA, they are actually adjusting by about 1/3 MOA. I believe Leatherwood also has some models made in China. Maybe thats the whole problem. Wondering if a quality Leupold or Sightron, something along those lines might have similar problems or if their clicks values are true. Have never had the money for either brand but have heard great things about the accuracy of their tracking and turret adjustments.

I shoot open range with a Leupold VXIII, A Leupold 24x BR, a Nightforce 8-32 BR & a Sightron 36x Big Sky. All of them have elevation adjustments consistent with the come ups I have derived from the measured velocity of my loads applied to quality ballistic programs. Likewise windage adjustments (particularly during short distance testing with reduced atmospheric errors) conform to the expected values.

First, how accurate is your .223. Are flyers common? Flyers can deceive you into believing the scope is responsible. Have you run a box test? If not, set up a target with 1" squares at 100 yards, and fire one shot at each corner; moving the scope four clicks up, four down, four left and four right. Finally four up for a final shot. The fifth shot should land on the first shot if it is tracking OK. If it will not pass this test, return it to SA together with a five shot group and have it repaired. I had to do just this with a Nightforce 12-42 couple years ago.

Guitar
Just ignore lefty o that is his standard comment to a guy seeking help with less than a BR scope. Don't feel bad about your 1/4" click scope. Even the vaunted Leupold BR scope with 1/4" clicks have the same problems. Try going a click or 2 past your next adjustment then go back. This should give you better 1/4" moves on the target. But remember as you click conditions could be working against you. Learn to hold off for minor shot placements then your scope is dead on to your hold.

Stephen Perry
Angeles BR

tenring: That is a good suggestion and one that I have not tried yet. I will give that a try and see what I come up with.

It's not uncommon to have adjustments that are not spot on, doing the box test will show you more that the turrets are repeatable. I've done two things to check what value the turret is moving at, the first is to hang a ruler at 100yrds and lock your rifle down and adjust up at least 20 MOA and read what you've moved, If I can't read my ruler at 100 yrds I fire one shot at the bottom of a line then dial up 20 MOA and with the same hold, fire another then measure and figure what value your moving at. I haven't worked may way up to higher end optics yet so I have to proof all of my scopes, I then enter my custom value if needed into my ballistics program and let it take over.

Scope adjustments are governed by three things, the threads per inch in the turret screws, the detent spacing, and where the turret abutments contact the erector tube in relation to the erector tube pivot point.

There can be a lot of "stacked tolerances" in these, probably the cheaper the scope, the more likely hood of something being a tad off tolerance. For what you paid, I would just live with it........jackie

I am a Knob Twister/Silhoutte Shooter.

Example: When coming up I will go a couple of clicks past my known "Come Up" and then back down. I believe this takes the slack out. This is not uncommon to instruments using threaded adjustments. I also give the turret a couple of light taps. Same goes of the windage adjustment. I always fine adjust going in on the threads.

HOWEVER 1/4 click is not always 1/4 even with the best equipment:)=

Many scope makers can supply you with unmarked turrets to install and mark yourself. Leupold used to do it for nothing. I have used them for any situation where I need to crank up and down on a regular basis, such as long range BR and live varmint shooting. Marked so only you can understand them, it's not even necessary to count clicks.

Just one more way to skin this particular cat.

Ray

Guitarguy,as others have stated,a box test will confirm the scopes tracking ability,and using a ruler at 100yards will confirm the adjustments.Once you do that,the adjustments should remain consistant.They could possibly change if your zero ends up at the exteme edge of your scopes adjustment range.I doubt that Springfield will fix this,but a custom chart will make it easier to live with. Lightman

Back