IMR 8208XT available real soon!

Butch Lambert

This is a email from Chris Hogdon

Good afternoon

Good news from IMR. Introducing our new SUPER powder IMR 8208 XBR. Please find the attached media release and product photograph.

If you so desire to try a sample please have patience because it’s already in high demand. Feel free to get back to me for a sample and/or more questions.

Wishing you much success this fall hunting season and many thanks for your continued support.

Best regards,

Chris Hodgdon

Hodgdon-The Gunpowder People

Hodgdon-The Brand that's True

Pyrodex-The Muzzleloading Propellant

Triple Se7en-Easy Clean Muzzleloading Propellant

GOEX Black Powder-The Tradition Continues

IMR-Legendary Powders

IMR White Hots Preformed Charges

Winchester Smokeless Propellant-For Loading Professionals
\
Media Release

Chris Hodgdon
Marketing/Sales
IMR Powder Company
Phone: 913-362-9455 ext 120
Fax: 913-362-1307
Email: chris@hodgdon.com

October 2009
For Immediate Release

Introducing IMR® 8208 XBR super powder
Shawnee Mission Kansas- IMR® Legendary Powders introduces a new super powder, IMR 8208 XBR. IMR 8208 XBR is a remarkably advanced technology propellant perfected for the greatest match, varmint and sniper rounds known today---223 Remington/ 5.56mm, 308 Win./7.62 mm, 6mm PPC, 204 Ruger, 6mm BR, 22-250 Remington and similar calibers.

This short grain extruded rifle powder exhibits a previously unheard of consistency with virtually no change in velocity at temperatures ranging from -40 degrees F to 165+ degrees F. Uniformity from shot to shot translates into tack driving accuracy and this powder has passed the test:

Currently loaded in premium factory sniper type ammunition
Leading competitive bench rest shooter Mr. Lou Murdica won numerous matches with it in 2009, starting with Heavy Varmint Grand Aggregate at the Cactus Classic
August 2009 Mr. Jim Carmichel won the International Benchrest Shooters Association’s 40th Group National Championships, Heavy Varmint Grand Aggregate. Because temperature conditions change, bench rest shooters vary charge weights during a day’s competition. What is significant here is that Jim shot the exact same load of IMR 8208 XBR both days to win the event

IMR 8208 XBR will be available in 1lb canisters and 8lb kegs in 2010 at dealers everywhere. For more information or complete data visit imrpowder.com and the Reloading Data Center, see the 2010 Annual Manual, phone IMR at 913-362-9455 or write to 6231 Robinson, Shawnee Mission, KS 66202.

Last edited:
just to be sure...this means all of us that committed to powder, have to go stand in line somewhere else ? or shipped from you for our committment ?

just checking...

thanks for the work butch

mike in co

What it means is that the new powder isn't going to be available to just those who contacted Lou and said that they would take some, but instead will be an over the counter item available to anyone just the same as any other production powder and won't be limited to a run of 20,000 pounds. If they can match the characteristics of the original T322 and keep those characteristics from lot to lot after that, it will be a good thing for benchrest shooters as well as other shooting disciplines. It would be a better deal than what was originally intended.

Lou told me at the nationals that Accurate is also going to be coming out with a version of the powder as well.

8208xbr

If they can match the characteristics of the original T322 and keep those characteristics from lot to lot after that, it will be a good thing for benchrest shooters as well as other shooting disciplines. It would be a better deal than what was originally intended.

Yes Mike, can't wait to compare it to my two lotts of original 8208 18167 and 18118.............. Through all this I was not sure wether the Australian manufacturer was making the stuff or IMR in Canada.... Guess we now know. Interesting that Accurate Arms is releasing their version.

Good news indeed!
cale

If they can match the characteristics of the original T322 and keep those characteristics from lot to lot after that, it will be a good thing for benchrest shooters as well as other shooting disciplines. It would be a better deal than what was originally intended.

Yes Mike, can't wait to compare it to my two lotts of original 8208 18167 and 18118.............. Through all this I was not sure wether the Australian manufacturer was making the stuff or IMR in Canada.... Guess we now know. Interesting that Accurate Arms is releasing their version.

Good news indeed!
cale

Your lots 18167 and 18118 are pulldown. They were sold by Jeff Bartlet at GI Brass. You would need to test some original T32 or at least some 45710. Lot 45710 was sold by the US Army as virgin 8208. It came in the same 100# containers as did the T32 Walt Berger sold.

Actually Walt and Thinderbird Powder had 3 lots. The original T32, another lot that was about as good and a third lot they sold to someone else. These were approximately 21,000# lots according to Walt.

This new powder IMR8208XBR is neither 8208 nor is it IMR since it was made by ADI as a sniper round powder. See Lamberts quote above from Chris Hodgdon ""Currently loaded in premium factory sniper type ammunition "".

Yes it is good news. This product will offer another choice of benchrest components.

Next mystery, is Accurate Powder, sure enough, going to bring out yet another 8208? It just gets better doesn't it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Regardless

The Benchrest Community will have a new powder, available at you local Gun Store or Internet Supplyer. I fail see a downside to this at all.

Kudos to Hogdon. When first approached, they were asked if they were willing to produce a limited quantity of a powder, supposedly as close to the originol T formula, (not burn rate), as possible. Hogdon decided to put their resources into a mass produced powder that any shooter could purchase over the retail counter.

This is refreshing. Lou Murdica is to be commended for his work in this. He got the ball rolling, his continuing effort openned the door for a new commitment by the Powder Manufacturers. If many recall, Lou was also instrumental in the entire March Scope project. He certainly does use his influence, and resources, to further Extreme Accuracy Shooting.

Will the new powder live up to the hype?? Time will tell.

Will it be the holy grail of consistant aggregates. Remember, if EVERYBODY has it, and it does prove it's worth, the "anti" will simply be upped at the firing line. And, as it should be,those that put forth the most effort and commitment will still be on top, just like they are now........jackie

thanks for the replys gentlemen.
my concer was pretty selfish. i ordered my powder last year, but now will probably have to wait another year to get some. just life.

i am interested in the 308 comment by hodgdon. has anyone ever shot 8202 in a 308 ?

mike in co

Good-by N-133. Long awaited goodbye. So much for the world of high priced powder. Better figure on buying 4 or more cases of 8 Lbs at a time. :D

Yet more confusion..........

Wolf, Butch said: in an e-mail from Chris Hodgdon...

"""
Good afternoon

Good news from IMR. Introducing our new SUPER powder IMR 8208 XBR. Please find the attached media release and product photograph.

"""

>>> IMR Canada is introducing this powder NOT ADI from Australia... Does it read any different to you.....

This new powder IMR8208XBR is neither 8208 nor is it IMR since it was made by ADI as a sniper round powder. See Lamberts quote above from Chris Hodgdon ""Currently loaded in premium factory sniper type ammunition "".

Really I don't care who makes the stuff, as long is it WORKS in the ppc case.
I'm one whom believes that T or any other lott of 8208 is unique due to the long "gassing out" the powder has gone through all these years... Gets slower with age.... Just what I think. I'd just like to shoot it with the lotts I have and just see........... I'm really hoping to see VERY little kernals just like good ole 8208...;)

Butch, I'll see ya at the IBS with more Q's I'm sure.
cale

Yet more confusion..........

"""

>>> IMR Canada is introducing this powder NOT ADI from Australia... Does it read any different to you.....

Butch, I'll see ya at the IBS with more Q's I'm sure.
cale
Cale, where did the line in red come from? This new 8208 was made by ADI. It is ADI #2210 V02 Lot#4676.

Benchrest shoters may finally be recognized

As a followup to what Butch and Lou wrote, I got the following from Keith Anderson at Western (Accurate);

----- Original Message -----
To: jsharrett@chartertn.net
Sent: Friday, October 02, 2009 9:55 AM
Subject: 8208

Jerry,

Thank you for your interest in Western Powders, Inc., "Accurate" and "Ramshot" lines of smokeless powders.

While I can't go into a lot of detail, I can tell you that we are working on an 8208 project. We have been set back a little to the latest buying craze on smokeless powders. We were struggling just to keep up with the demand of our current production powders so all R & D projects were temporarily put on hold. We are just now in a position to start working on them. Even after the powder is developed it takes about a year to get through all the government and DOT regulations in order to sell it commercially!

Hope this answers your questions!

Best regards,
Keith Anderson
Western Powders Ballistic Lab
Ramshot/Accurate Powders
Tel: (406) 234-0422 email: keith@ramshot.com
Western Powders Inc -- Miles City – Montana.
Western Powders Inc. disclaims all possible liability for damages including, actual, incidental and consequential, resulting from usage of the information or advice contained in this message.
Use the data and advice at your own risk, and with extreme caution.
We also request that you visit our websites www.accuratepowder.com www.ramshot.com www.montanaextreme.com or www.blackhorn209.com for more comprehensive information.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Always begin loading from the minimum "START charge and carefully develop loads by increasing in small increments of 2% towards the Maximum load.

Hey Lou many of us appreciate your efforts.See you at the NBRSA 1,000 Yard Nationals.
Lynn aka Waterboy

IMR 8208xt

Hats off to Chris at Hodgdon and also Ron Reiber for all of their extensive work. A big Thank you to Lou also for trying and finally getting the new powder.

I am not a dealer for Hogdon. I was passing on an email sent to me by a very reputable shooter. I was hoping that I could still get my 6 jugs from Lou.
Butch

Imr 8208 xbr

This is a email from Chris Hogdon

Good afternoon

If you so desire to try a sample please have patience because it’s already in high demand. Feel free to get back to me for a sample and/or more questions.

imr8208xbr.jpg

Wishing you much success this fall hunting season and many thanks for your continued support.

Best regards,

Chris Hodgdon

Hodgdon-The Gunpowder People

Hodgdon-The Brand that's True

Pyrodex-The Muzzleloading Propellant

Triple Se7en-Easy Clean Muzzleloading Propellant

GOEX Black Powder-The Tradition Continues

IMR-Legendary Powders

IMR White Hots Preformed Charges

Winchester Smokeless Propellant-For Loading Professionals
\
Media Release

Chris Hodgdon
Marketing/Sales
IMR Powder Company
Phone: 913-362-9455 ext 120
Fax: 913-362-1307
Email: chris@hodgdon.com

October 2009
For Immediate Release

Introducing IMR® 8208 XBR super powder
Shawnee Mission Kansas- IMR® Legendary Powders introduces a new super powder, IMR 8208 XBR. IMR 8208 XBR is a remarkably advanced technology propellant perfected for the greatest match, varmint and sniper rounds known today---223 Remington/ 5.56mm, 308 Win./7.62 mm, 6mm PPC, 204 Ruger, 6mm BR, 22-250 Remington and similar calibers.

This short grain extruded rifle powder exhibits a previously unheard of consistency with virtually no change in velocity at temperatures ranging from -40 degrees F to 165+ degrees F. Uniformity from shot to shot translates into tack driving accuracy and this powder has passed the test:

Currently loaded in premium factory sniper type ammunition
Leading competitive bench rest shooter Mr. Lou Murdica won numerous matches with it in 2009, starting with Heavy Varmint Grand Aggregate at the Cactus Classic
August 2009 Mr. Jim Carmichel won the International Benchrest Shooters Association’s 40th Group National Championships, Heavy Varmint Grand Aggregate. Because temperature conditions change, bench rest shooters vary charge weights during a day’s competition. What is significant here is that Jim shot the exact same load of IMR 8208 XBR both days to win the event

IMR 8208 XBR will be available in 1lb canisters and 8lb kegs in 2010 at dealers everywhere. For more information or complete data visit imrpowder.com and the Reloading Data Center, see the 2010 Annual Manual, phone IMR at 913-362-9455 or write to 6231 Robinson, Shawnee Mission, KS 66202.

imr8208xbr.jpg

Good news indeed!
cale

When I get some of the new powder, I'll check it against some T322 that I have as well as the 166 and 167 lots of 8208. (The T32 powder was originally sold as T322. Thunderbird had to drop the second 2 off the powder because it was too close to Hodgdon's 322 labeling from what I remember.) At the same time that T32 was being offered, Hodgdon was selling GI322. I prefered the GI322 and shot more of it than the T powder. I never would have thought about the almost cult like following that developed from the T powder once it became scarce. The only way I wound up with any T322 was that I built some f-class rifles for a former benchrest shooter and I wound up getting what little he had left of his T powder in partial payment for building his first f class rifle.

Good to hear Mike,
The packaging that Hodgdon is doing looks great..!
Remember Hodgdon itself is not a powder manufacturer, just a distributer.
IMR of Canada is a manufacturer as is ADI of Australia...
Hodgdon though makes sure that IMR produced powder is labled such and labled "made in Canada". Just as the "Hodgdon" branded line of powders I.E. H322, Benchmark, H4895 (just a few examples) are branded Hodgdon and "made in Australia"... The new 8208 is branded IMR.

We'll see what country of manufacture is on the lable when we get them in our hot little hands......!:)

Regardless as Lou said : "a company that has stepped up and given us what we wanted. Buy a jug and shoot it."

You betcha Lou..! Can't wait! Thanks Hodgdon!
cale

Cale, I had written Hodgdon several years ago about the possibility of bringing back T322 or GI322. I wish I had kept the letter that I received from them. The basic gist of the letter was that they had no intention of manufacturing it and that the powders had gone the way of the dinosaur. I'm sure that without Lou's involvement in this, that's probably where it would have stayed.

I appreciate Lou for his dedication to benchrest and putting his feet to work in getting done what he has been able to accomplish with this powder and with his help in bringing the March scopes to market.

Back