I need a powder dispenser looking at RCBS Charge master or Harrell thrower

Heres what ive been seeing pre weighed charges Like the old days and the new chargemaster with a battery pack.
That seems to be popular these days. And still a lot of measures, Culvers, brunos sinclaire's etc even a few reddings.
I guess it all depends on what works for you.

Well I opted for the chargemaster, just got it. playing around 10 charges of n133 spot on every time and quick.
This will be more versital for other reloading I do also.
Now the million dollar question is a range battery.
Reading the old forums looks like some of the wall warts output 12V so I can see a car or motorcyle battery as ok BUT....
Mine is listed as 9v and DVOM reads 9.0V
Soooo I assume 12V will overheat the regulator/heat sinks over time ?
Options ?

Reading the old forums looks like some of the wall warts output 12V so I can see a car or motorcyle battery as ok BUT....
Options ?

I got into a discussion with Shinny Shinglock over this very subject as he builds battery packs for resale with 8 "D" cells. I built one for myself with 6 batteries but he convinced me the 8 batteries is more suitable and I changed mine. The 6 Battery unit runs down and gets slow pretty fast. Your technical assessment of the voltage situation is correct but there are quite a few people running off 12v with no ill effects heard of so far. You can get a battery holder at Radio Shack and easily build your own but be advised there seems to be no protection against reversed polarity so unless you know what you are doing Shinny's unit is a good package. One mutual friend of Shinny and mine had to send his unit in for repairs after hooking up backwards.

Dick

Well I opted for the chargemaster, just got it. playing around 10 charges of n133 spot on every time and quick.
This will be more versital for other reloading I do also.
Options ?
Most of us use 12 VDC battery boosters similar to the Schader/Schumacher 500 amp. To verify using 12 VDC call the RCBS toll free number in your manual and ask for Don Legg Jr. The RCBS Chargemaster system will take from about 9 VDC to about 16 VDC.

It has a cigarette lighter outlet so go to a Radio Shack type store and take your Chargemaster power adapter with you and pick up a cord that has the cigarette plug on one end and a round adapter like your on the other. They are about $6.

Heres one on eBay. I got mine at Advance Auto. Fully charged it will run a Chargemaster for about 3 days.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SCHUMACHER-...=150713255298&ps=63&clkid=6209283350650407534

You can buy the exact cable you need @ Radio Shack. I have one. My most recent vehicle has a 110v recepticle @ the passenger door on the driver's side so I certainly don't need my cable any longer. Of course I pre-load at home so it's a very moot point.

I preload for matches. OTOH, it's convenient to load at the range for load development. I shoot a lot at a state range that won't allow us to load at the bench (but allows muzzleloaders...go figure). So, I have to go out to the truck. I already have a power inverter. I can run the chargemaster there. Or, I can use the time-honored RCBS powder-measure-and-trickle method. Think maybe the CM will stay home...

Now that I have the Chargemaster is there any reason to hold onto my RCBS 5-0-5 beam scale ?
Dies/cleaning rods/guides/presses/chargemaster/assrys ect has drained the $funds$ (Rifle expense starting to look small:eek:)

David,

Murphy was neither an optimist nor a pessimist -- "Whatever can go wrong will go wrong" perhaps sounds more elegant put in engineering terms -- "Mean time before failure..."

ALWAYS have a BACKUP!!!!!! Murphy was an optomist.

IMO Dr Murphy was always an optimist. I still have the email he sent me in my old email file from Frank the day before he died. He was concerned about a decision just made by the NBRSA, but he was optimistic about the result.His son came on this board the next day using Franks old email address saying he had passed on.

My favorite "thing" of his was his advise to "take your wind flags for a walk".

IMO Dr Murphy was always an optimist. I still have the email he sent me in my old email file from Frank the day before he died. He was concerned about a decision just made by the NBRSA, but he was optimistic about the result.His son came on this board the next day using Franks old email address saying he had passed on.

My favorite "thing" of his was his advise to "take your wind flags for a walk".

Jerry, sounds like you miss him as much as I do.

I forget where I saw this idea. Someone posted it, and I thought it clever enough to pass on. http://www.ebatteriestogo.com/game_deer_feeder_batteries.htm
The price and spec. is right, and with a cheap charger, and power cord (to plug into the Chargemaster in the AC adapter plug) from Radio Shack, All that you would need to do is to build a box for transport and storage. Previously, I had thought that building something that uses D cells, using Radio Shack parts was the answer, but as inexpensive as these sealed batteries are, it seems to me that this may be a better way to go.

12v sealed rechargeable batteries can also be found at walmart in the kidde car section. 2 6v rechargeable deer feeder batteries or lantern batteries will work too. the cheap 6v lantern batts would probably last a long, long time even if not the rechargeable variety.

This is what I use to carry my Sealed Lead Acid Battery. It's a MTM Die Storage box with the insert removed. It holds the battery and battery charger. I've got several that I use for holding things like my Ron Power sear stoning jig and universal sight tool. In this picture is a variable DC-DC converter that can reduce the 12 volts to 9 volts. Turns out I don't need to use that. However is also has a USB output port that you could use to charge things like a cell phone from the battery.

P1000004.jpg

The D cell holder also works well
P1000006.jpg

Back