I Like Pawn Stars, But..........

Not really,

We know that damascus style steel today is made by lamenating. We also know that it was not lamenated back then. People have some of the answers, just not all of them.

Hovis

I was watching the other night and a guy brought in a old Stevens 3-trigger 12 gage shotgun. It wasn't worth what the guy wanted, so no sale.

But, during the discussion, Big Hoss said that he could tell by the swirls in the barrels that they were Damascus Steel. He added that the manufacturing proccess, which he did get right, resulted in the finest and strongest barrels ever built. I don't think so.

While ........jackie
Three trigger shotgun, made by Stevens?

Remington Arms, during the 1894-1910 period made side-by-side double barrel shotguns, some were Remington Steel" stamped with an R, some were Damascus steel and some were "Ordinance" steel stamped with an O. According to a letter I have from Remington dated 1968 they also made some of these model 1894 and 1900 in Damascus pattern steel. I have a Model 1894, 12ga, s/n 121,xxx that according to the Remington tech who wrote the letter said mine was "Damascus Pattern" steel based on the serial number and the under side of the barrels were stamped with a P. So???

There is a forum explanation, for whatever forum explanations are worth, at : http://www.remingtonsociety.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2783

It appears that Wiki may be wrong.
Here is another website with a lot more info that seems to be more scientifically accurate.
Judge for yourself.

Kinda off topic but... you gotta treat info from Wikipedia like what you read on messageboards since anyone can write whatever they want. It's not a 100% dependable source of accurate info. If anything I use the articles as a springboard to get verified info through page references or further searching.

Not really,

We know that damascus style steel today is made by lamenating. We also know that it was not lamenated back then. People have some of the answers, just not all of them.

Hovis

I was always under the impression that "damascus" was a method or style of making laminated steel. Fascinating stuff...

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't hardly trust any info nowadays, my son came home the other day and said their new history book had 38 errors in it, from names to dates to the order in which things happened. Who the heck are proof reading these things. The book cost me over 100.00 by itself and that was just rental.

Hovis

Can't hardly trust any info nowadays, my son came home the other day and said their new history book had 38 errors in it, from names to dates to the order in which things happened. Who the heck are proof reading these things. The book cost me over 100.00 by itself and that was just rental.

Hovis
Well, it is revisionist history anyway. So if the names and dates are wrong it might as well have the facts wrong too. Remember, history is written by the winners. That is why we are not writing it!!!

The article I read said that small ingots were cast in Damascus exported to India where they made knives and such. The whole argument about what the latest government grant receipient thinks he has found is largely high minded B.S. Until our geniuses can duplicate the exact amount of Camel dung, pinch of sulphur, chard bone from nubian slaves and whatever else our ancient metalsmith's could scrape up as alloying elements will forever remain an expensive talking point.

The sad fact remains that the only metal comming through Damascus today is comming via Russia and China.

Joe Henderson

Back